Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-17-10, 09:01 AM   #1
Muntz

Default New Gaming / Photo editing Build!

After avoiding the computer upgrade bug (other than buying a GTX 260) for the past few years as I went through a serious condition of NAS (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome) I've finally pulled the trigger on a new system.

This machine is going to be for gaming / photo editing / video processing.

Here are the details of the build:

Intel Core i7 950
ASUS Sabertooth X58
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580
12GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3-1600
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Sandforce SSD
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB
Thermalright Silver Arrow
Cooler Master HAF 922
XFX 850W Black Edition

Not a cheap build; but, if I can make it last for 3+ years again it is well worth it.

My wife will inherit the Q6600 + GTX 260 system I'm currently using. It has served me well and is still a fairly fast machine. Way better than the AMD 3200+ based machine she is using now.

The parts are on the way and I can't wait to build the system this weekend. I have a feeling Saturday is going to be a long day! I can't wait to try out FSX and some of the newer games on the machine.

The only thing I'm trying to decide on is if I'm better off using my current case (Antec P182) for the build or the new HAF 922. I bought the HAF 922 with the intention of using it for the new build. Any suggestions?
Muntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-10, 09:29 AM   #2
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w
Default Re: New Gaming / Photo editing Build!

Well the HAF is going to cool significantly better, but not everyone is a fan of how it looks. I would go with the HAF just for better cooling.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-10, 09:35 AM   #3
Bearclaw

Looks like a great build. FYI - the i7 950 is $199.99 at a Microcenter if one is near you. Pick up only.

Also - I would HIGHLY recommend a Corsair H50.
Old 11-17-10, 10:02 AM   #4
Muntz

Maverick123w,

The case will sit under my desk so I'm not too concerned with how it looks. I'm more worried about noise and cooling. I think I will do the build with the HAF 922 if the cooling is better. I couldn't really find any comparisons of the two cases as the P182 is a little older.

Bearclaw,

I wish I had a Microcenter near me. The closest one is 5 hours away. I picked it up the i7 950 for CDN$289 which isn't too bad. This is the cheapest I could find it in Canada.

From what I've read, the Thermalright Silver Arrow outperforms the H50/H70 and even slightly edges out the Noctura NH-D14. The Silver Arrow is pretty big and heavy though.
Muntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-10, 10:13 AM   #5
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

The whole Antec p180 series has terrible cooling. It wasn't developed for that. The 922 on the other hand is still one of best air cooling cases around. With 200mm fans it should be pretty quiet.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-10, 05:41 PM   #6
grey_1

I have the 922 and can vouch for excellent cooling, easy cable routing and plenty of room to house your fine looking new build.

Only thing I would recommend is a good, fine material to filter out dust. The fans in the 922 move a whole lot of air and do bring the dust.
Old 11-17-10, 06:37 PM   #7
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Muntz, since you mentioned photo editing, get a good monitor, avoid all the TN junk on the market.

get IPS panel, nothing can match IPS picture quality, important for photo editing.
good list of IPS panels
http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php
Old 11-18-10, 01:46 AM   #8
kazna

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Muntz, since you mentioned photo editing, get a good monitor, avoid all the TN junk on the market.
This.

If you don't already have a calibrated display, then proper editing is nearly impossible. I recently picked up photography as a hobby and needed a decent monitor for editing. I found the NEC EA231WMi to be the best bang for your buck. Went with three for eyefinity and it makes a great workstation. Color accuracy is good out of the box, and amazing once calibrated.

Two of these monitors + Lightroom 3 = great workflow!
kazna is offline   Reply With Quote