Default Re: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Patch is out

http://hotpursuit.needforspeed.com/p...uit-pc-patch-1
JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-10, 02:02 AM   #50
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Alright..new patch is loaded and I spent about an hour in it. As far as bugs are concerned..I had zero crashes... the ONLY glitch that im getting and was probably introduced in this patch is my rear view mirror is in a seemingly inverted color scheme.. with the backdrop being green and cars being yellow shaded. Kinda ugly.. and during police chases I tend to look at it alot.

Other then that... as far as a game goes..I am not quite sure that I like. As much as I loved the underground series... I REALLY really liked shift and the realistic nature of it's driving. It also is a nice merge of course style racing but in several different settings, through cities and wooded area alike.

Hot pursuit immediately smacks with a lack of the realistic driving, where spin outs are infrequent, drifting is automatic and frequent, and the NPC cars are pretty much always hostile and slam into your car every time you pass. Race tracks are alot of open space and very few hair pin turns (imo the only reason I won races was because the CPU let me. for the first half to 3/4 of a race I was near last place and my car simply would not have the speed to catch up to the other cars.. and there were no hairpin turns that I could attempt to recover time or cut in and pass).

Then there was the flow of the game. In SHIFT, when a race finished.. you car kept going.. and you would then be treated to an immediate replay while you had the option of sitting and watching, restarting, or going back to the menu screen. Pursuit stop the game dead when you finish the race, treats you to a boring looking EXP tally screen, and then SLOWLY treats you to eye candy shots of the cars and junk you just won that you can't pass. And there is no way you can instantly restart if you placed in a sucky position.

I damn near fell asleep.

I might get back to this game later. ^^
Old 11-28-10, 02:17 AM   #51
Vardant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
Alright..new patch is loaded and I spent about an hour in it. As far as bugs are concerned..I had zero crashes... the ONLY glitch that im getting and was probably introduced in this patch is my rear view mirror is in a seemingly inverted color scheme.. with the backdrop being green and cars being yellow shaded. Kinda ugly.. and during police chases I tend to look at it alot.
That's how it always looked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
Hot pursuit immediately smacks with a lack of the realistic driving, where spin outs are infrequent, drifting is automatic and frequent, and the NPC cars are pretty much always hostile and slam into your car every time you pass. Race tracks are alot of open space and very few hair pin turns (imo the only reason I won races was because the CPU let me. for the first half to 3/4 of a race I was near last place and my car simply would not have the speed to catch up to the other cars.. and there were no hairpin turns that I could attempt to recover time or cut in and pass).
It's an arcade, so these things are to be expected.
But there are two kinds of drifts. One without brake, which doesn't slow you down, but is harder to control and the other with brake, that's slower but needed for sharp turns.

The first few races are easy and it goes exactly like you described. CPU is beating you, but then it slows down, to give you a chance to win. Don't worry, that will stop very soon.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-10, 03:08 AM   #52
Sectus

Yay rain!

And darnit! Why are there so many time trials when playing as cop? I want more hot pursuits!
Sectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-10, 09:21 AM   #53
methimpikehoses

why are there only 2 reviews of this game?
Old 12-01-10, 12:52 AM   #54
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

cuz it sux?

No but really, weres teh fking AA?
Old 12-01-10, 07:57 AM   #55
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Uninstalled... gave it to my brother.

game ran excellent though. no crashes, smooth as glass at max settings, etc.

There is just too much arcadey-ness to it. I understand that it's meant to be more of an arcade racer but when I fight my ass off over half the course for the lead and see 2 cars that were fighting for 1st and 2nd place crash then flipping and landing upside down only for them to be ON MY BUMPER LITERALLY 7 seconds later?!?!

Hysterically bad car physics aside, if I fight for the lead and take it, I shouldn't have to worry about having to defend it from guys who I just saw eliminate themselves from the race entirely.

What makes me even MORE mad though like rubbing salt in the wound is that the ONE time I screw up those bastards disappear over the horizon never to be seen again. no chance to catch them.

Back to Shift for me.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 12:53 AM   #56
methimpikehoses

fastredponycar, did you like burnout: paradise?

i thought paradise was awesome, myself. i think i'll pick this one up soon.

IGN 9/10

Old 12-02-10, 05:57 AM   #57
Sean_W

It's a great game to just go driving as well and the driving area is huge. Once you unlock the various areas, you can just go driving there straight away. Cars all feel like they handle the same and the AI is quiet hard to catch but the best way to catch them it just find a short-cut and use your nitro wisely.

I like this type of NFS game but no in-car dashboard view is disappointing but graphics are great and you can tell it's done by the Burnout Paradise devs(good thing).
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 09:42 AM   #58
Redeemed

Think I'll be skipping this one. No steam release, no AA, just doesn't seem like a title I'd enjoy.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 11:39 AM   #59
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

Crappy handling arcade ****, impossible turns etc total lack of realism, Mediocre graphics, non working AA, irritating menus and lots of consolized bull****, and more importantly... demanding, i get 25 - 30 fps when driving around.. WTF??????????????????????
I can max out crysis and get more fps than this and it looks billion times better
Old 12-02-10, 11:40 AM   #60
methimpikehoses

you can't enable AA with nhancer/control panel?