Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-03, 02:23 PM   #1
extreme_dB

Default GeforceFX dominates the marketplace

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d...731084600.html

Quote:
According to what I have at hands here, NVIDIA’s market share in the Q2 was flat compared to the Q1 and achieved 64% of the Desktop Standalone GPUs market.
Wow, ATI hardly made a dent in Nvidia's marketshare since the R300 was introduced!

Quote:
NVIDIA’s share among all DirectX 9.0-supporting graphics processors shipped skyrocketed to 60%, obviously, thanks to 70% share in the Value DirectX 9.0-compliant GPUs market. Even though its dollars share is lower, units share seems to be very important for the company.
Old 07-31-03, 02:35 PM   #2
azanon

Default misc

Brand recognition doesnt die overnight. It took 3dfx a good 2 years to actually eat it, from the initial point of them getting handed their ass. You ask too much of ATI.
Old 07-31-03, 02:39 PM   #3
reever2

And this is a surprise how? Everybody know BS marketing(*coughdx95200cough*) works wonders
Old 07-31-03, 02:42 PM   #4
Malfunction

Thumbs up

Interesting.... very interesting.

\*pun filter: off (Wish I had a Chartered Financial Analyst here to explain to me what changed in 4 days.) */pun filter: on

j/k *no pun intended

Peace,

* jAkUp:
I hope you don't mind the similarity between our sig layouts. I really like the way you made yours because it is very easy to read and all the info one could want is present. If you would like me to change mine I will, just trying to make things easier for people to read as you have made yours.

Thank you.

Last edited by Malfunction; 07-31-03 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-31-03, 03:22 PM   #5
Richthofen

Default Re: misc

Quote:
Originally posted by azanon
Brand recognition doesnt die overnight. It took 3dfx a good 2 years to actually eat it, from the initial point of them getting handed their ass. You ask too much of ATI.
I don't think he ask too much of ATI.
This is the proof that all those bull**** some fanboys were telling - NV loosing marketshare bla.... is nothing but plain wrong.

I stated about 100times that it needs Nvidia about 3 to 5 months to be the absolut DX9 market leader.
All what happened before with R300 in 2002 at this point is not of relevance any more. Its history.
Nvidia is back in the game - very big if you ask me.

ATI made a pretty serious mistake with their 9200 line and they are going to pay for it in the long run. I expect that Nvidia will gain more DX9 market share than what their overall graphics chipset market share in the desktop space is as long as ATI is not competitive in the low end.

They have the enthusiast crown. They are not going to let ATI do a one man show with R360. They are vastly superiour in the high volume low end and they are doing fine in the mainstream.

ATI can't sell enough mainstream parts (RV350) to gain market share.
I still remember Huang saying in a conference call,
"well they can sell RV350 if they think they can make enough of them". And he was laughing a littlebit and i know why.

Nvidia is customer No1 @ TSMC and of course customer No1 gets better prices and more capacity.
You can see the result with the Radeon9800SE.
They don't sell that product because they don't wanna throw all those R350s with minor problems away. They sell that 115 mio transistor part in the mainstream segment because they can't make enough RV350s. No matter if these parts have minor problems but that is not the cheapest way and it won't help.
They will not have enough capacity anytime soon.

Pretty bad for ATI that they could not profit more from their 9 month lead. I haven't seen any semiconductor company gaining so little with such a massiv product line lead.
Even AMD did better in their Thunderbird times.

Reason are 2 big mistakes. No mainstream part when R300 was launched. 9500 and pro were not mainstream considering the die which was sold in that segment.
No DX9 in the low end.
No one really is going to buy a RV280 if he can get a NV34 at the same or lower price.
Old 07-31-03, 03:28 PM   #6
reever2

Default Re: Re: misc

Quote:
Originally posted by Richthofen
Nvidia is customer No1 @ TSMC and of course customer No1 gets better prices and more capacity.
Not for long. Soon they will be moving to IBM. Making PR reports saying that TSMC is the cause of all your problems doesnt do much to help get better prices and more capacity
Old 07-31-03, 04:05 PM   #7
CapsLock

Before you jump to any conclusions about how either company is doing, you might want to do a little more research. This was posted by hiamps at rage3d, I'm not exactly sure of his source however I have seen these same numbers in numerous places myself.

Ontario-based ATI Technologies (NASDAQ:ATYT - News) is one of two main players in the market for video processors, the chips used in personal computers to display game graphics and movies. Nvidia (NASDAQ:NVDA - News), headquartered in Santa Clara, Calif., is the other. The pair has been locked in fierce competition for years, but a look at ATI's fiscal third-quarter results, reported June 25, shows that ATI may be starting to gain market share.

Revenues of $342.1 million for the quarter ended May 31 trounced both the consensus expectation of $305 million and ATI's own guidance of $300 million, and represented year-over-year growth of 28%. Nvidia's most recent quarterly filing showed a 31% year-over-year revenue decline. And while Nvidia's guidance calls for, at most, 8% revenue growth this quarter, ATI is expecting at least 40%.

and just found to corroborate the 31% nvidia decline at x-bit:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d...728155713.html

So, how about them apples? Nvidia is big and has money, but I think Ati is puttin the hurt on.

CapsLock
Old 07-31-03, 04:13 PM   #8
reever2

Quote:
Originally posted by CapsLock
Before you jump to any conclusions about how either company is doing, you might want to do a little more research. This was posted by hiamps at rage3d, I'm not exactly sure of his source however I have seen these same numbers in numerous places myself.

Ontario-based ATI Technologies (NASDAQ:ATYT - News) is one of two main players in the market for video processors, the chips used in personal computers to display game graphics and movies. Nvidia (NASDAQ:NVDA - News), headquartered in Santa Clara, Calif., is the other. The pair has been locked in fierce competition for years, but a look at ATI's fiscal third-quarter results, reported June 25, shows that ATI may be starting to gain market share.

Revenues of $342.1 million for the quarter ended May 31 trounced both the consensus expectation of $305 million and ATI's own guidance of $300 million, and represented year-over-year growth of 28%. Nvidia's most recent quarterly filing showed a 31% year-over-year revenue decline. And while Nvidia's guidance calls for, at most, 8% revenue growth this quarter, ATI is expecting at least 40%.

and just found to corroborate the 31% nvidia decline at x-bit:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d...728155713.html

So, how about them apples? Nvidia is big and has money, but I think Ati is puttin the hurt on.

CapsLock
I think that was in ATI's Q2 financial report, should be on yahoo if you look for it, after that was posted Ati's stock soared

Old 07-31-03, 05:18 PM   #9
CapsLock

Actually thats thier 3rd quarter results AFAIK. Financial quarters don't follow the standard calender.

And ya, Ati stock has almost tripled since the beginning of March.

What I'd like to know is, how they expect 40% growth for the next quarter? Thats a pretty serious jump. Is it thier intel chipset coming out thats expected to do it?

Very interesting horse race, it just never stops.

Caps
Old 07-31-03, 05:35 PM   #10
Skuzzy
Bit Bumper

The next quarter would coincide with shipments to OEM's. Maybe ATI is expecting this to cause the surge. It could do it.
Old 07-31-03, 05:51 PM   #11
CapsLock

Oems? you mean system builders or card makers? Either way I don't see why it would jump like that for one particular quarter.

Caps
Old 07-31-03, 06:00 PM   #12
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by CapsLock
Actually thats thier 3rd quarter results AFAIK. Financial quarters don't follow the standard calender.

And ya, Ati stock has almost tripled since the beginning of March.

What I'd like to know is, how they expect 40% growth for the next quarter? Thats a pretty serious jump. Is it thier intel chipset coming out thats expected to do it?

Very interesting horse race, it just never stops.

Caps
Would a card that performs at 9700 Pro levels retailing for $200us be a factor in that expectation?

ATi is planning on working it's way down the marketshare foodchain, they're just doing it from the top down while nVidia is doing it the other way 'round.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Closed Thread