Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-03, 03:35 AM   #49
ronin_razors

Default more

Cant nvnews get a copy of the mercury report and share the market share data directly?
Old 08-02-03, 04:47 AM   #50
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Not really. A Voodoo2 SLI setup was expensive, but we never used to see single cards priced at $500. Not counting the gf2Ultra...but NVIDIA was dominating by then.
Voodoo3 3000s were high end for a while and only went for about 175 dollars at the time I can remember.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
Old 08-02-03, 04:52 AM   #51
Evildeus

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbinder
This also just goes to show you that Nvidia can Lie, Cheat, steal, and probably kill people..
You are still alive? How can you say thing like that, i think you should sleep a bit.

Quote:
and for some reason the masses still think they are the best.
http://www.futuremark.com/community/halloffame/
Old 08-02-03, 05:51 AM   #52
rabblerouser

The quote in the first post on this thread regarding marketshare numbers is deceptive.

NVDA actually lost 4% of overall graphics share, while Ati gained 2% of overall share. Intel was the big winner, with 5% marketshare gain. The first post of 64% is for standalone graphics products and excludes mobile and integrated graphics.

Overall marketshare of all graphics products shipped is 27% NVDA, 21% ATI, 32% Intel and the rest is small fry. Intel's gain is of course in integrated graphics - and they gained cpu marketshare so it's natural they would gain in graphics also with their motherboards.

Fortunately for Ati, Ati will soon have the best integrated graphics solution for the Intel desktop market which will help them to gain more overall share. If the product is reasonably successful, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ati overtake NVDA in overall marketshare in two quarters.

Remember, there is only a 6% difference overall in marketshare between Ati and NVDA now.

So things aren't very good for NVDA. They maintained standalone desktop but lost share in every other segment, including mobile (lost about 8-9%). And NVDA's margins are going to be down this quarter. They blamed this on .13 yields but I'm sure that having such heavy competition in the high end and mainstream performance has played a significant role.

In the mobile segment, Ati increased their share of all portable graphics shipped by 8%.
Old 08-02-03, 06:10 AM   #53
StealthHawk

Products shipped has nothing to do with current marketshare. If anything, it means that next quarter ATI has the possibility to gain a few percentage. Of course that is not concrete.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d...801102103.html

Two nice quotes
Quote:
The total graphics market, including desktop standalone, desktop integrated, portable standalone and portable integrated graphics devices as well as workstation products and mobile workstation products was flat compared to the first quarter 2003.
Quote:
As reported yesterday, NVIDIA has 64% of the total standalone GPUs for desktop computers market, flat with the Q1, just like ATI Technologies with its 28%. Other suppliers’ shares obviously remained unchanged.

Old 08-02-03, 07:54 AM   #54
CapsLock

rabblerouser, that was a fairly informitive post, thanx.

Where did you get your facts from?

Also, I completely agree about the new Ati integrated Intel chipset. Its going to make them barrels of money. Thats where the expected 40% jump in revenue is going to come from I bet.

40% of thier current gross would put them even with NV's gross.

Also, when you consider how much of NV's marketshare in the standalone desktop segment derives from thier low end 400/420/440 boards, how much of that will they lose when people will be able to get dx 8.1 integrated chipset from Ati?

And its going to be probably cheaper than a cheap board add in.

Speed, like with the 5200, may not be the issue. Thats why all the big m-board makers have jumped on this one, its gonna be big I think.

Caps

Last edited by CapsLock; 08-02-03 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-02-03, 08:23 AM   #55
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Question:

Have any of the figures thrown around in this thread include the nForce? It may be a relatively small part of NVIDIA's game, but they definitely dominate ATI in this department.
Old 08-02-03, 12:12 PM   #56
rabblerouser

The numbers were from the same xbitlabs article and overall share figures include integrated nForce 2 graphics.

Regarding nForce 2, yeah it is a great product. I think Ati would like to set up as the nForce 2 of the Intel market. Nvidia doesn't have a license for the Intel market, while Ati has licenses for both Intel and AMD. Even if Ati gets 20% of the Intel desktop market, they will have surpassed NVDA nForce 2 sales, since AMD's marketshare is pretty low at the moment.

As a side note, Ati dominates the mobile market with overall 68% share, which is quite incredible compared to desktop distribution of graphics market share. And in the US last quarter notebook sales outpaced desktop sales.

Ati will have a chipset out for the A64 but for the moment it seems they are targeting the Intel desktop market.

Regarding the 40% rise in revs, that is referring to the rise year over year, not from last quarter to this quarter. The sequential rise will be probably around + or - 10%.

Old 08-02-03, 12:29 PM   #57
Hanners
Elite Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by Evildeus
http://www.futuremark.com/community/halloffame/
There truly is some beautiful irony in using 3DMark 2003 results to show how great the 5900 is...
Old 08-02-03, 01:34 PM   #58
Skuzzy
Bit Bumper

Kind of thought all gaming/video card enthusiasts, by now, would know using 3DMark to support a performance claim would put them in the same light as someone running through the forums naked, chasing a golf ball, and yelling, "Someone grab my ball!".

I mean,..how much sillier could you look?

On topic: Only a lunatic CEO would announce performance numbers that were over the top. When I made the remark about OEM sales, I was referring to the computer manufacturers.
During the next 3 months is the same time frame they would be placing orders for product to ship before Christmas. ATI has announced many design wins with OEM manufacturer's, so it is not unreasonable to think that a large portion of the projected gain would be from this. Afterall, they would already have a good idea of the number of product they are going to ship.
Old 08-02-03, 02:48 PM   #59
CapsLock

Skuzzy, Hanners-

Kudos for a couple of very accurate and pointed observations.

Can anyone find out which driver that 5900U was using? I am not registered at FM.

Didn't I read that "somehow" and "mysteriously" an Nvidia driver came out that doesn't show the clipping plane errors BUT yet still manages to keep the exact same score as the previous driver, which did? Nvidia keep releasing so many unofficial drivers, its pretty hard to keep track of them all.

(ie.: they put in an off-the-rails detector and left in the clip planes.)

I mean really, how unsportsman-like. Tsk, tsk.

Caps

PS. someone please help evildeus find his ball.
Old 08-02-03, 06:04 PM   #60
Ruined

Quote:
Originally posted by CapsLock
Skuzzy, Hanners-

Kudos for a couple of very accurate and pointed observations.

Can anyone find out which driver that 5900U was using? I am not registered at FM.
The 44.67 WHQL Detonators (on EVGA's site) have in the readme.txt "Fixed 3dmark03 issues." These are the same drivers that no longer have the clipping issues, and actually gave me about 1-2% higher score on 3dmark 3.3.0 than the 44.03 drivers did on 3.2.0. So, however they achieved the score, the 44.67 drivers are obviously cool with Futuremark as they put all the Nvidia cards using them in the Hall of Fame. All drivers after 44.67 also have no problems with 3dmark. And, the top 3 cards in ORB are currently FX5900 Ultras using 44.67 or later and 3dmark 3.3.0.

Then again, does all this really matter when a P2-350mhz is the CPU of choice for 3dmark03?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Closed Thread