Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-26-10, 01:34 PM   #1
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Default Steam Mover - Thoughts?

Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you have used Steam Mover?

My puny SSD drive will likely buckle with the Steam sales going on and I came across this program. http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

It seems to have moved the folders over to my other HD no issues, freed up space, just wondering if you feel the commands used in this are the same as what you may have done manually?

So far, all seems good. The games moved run fine.

Thoughts?
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-10, 01:48 PM   #2
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Default Re: Steam Mover - Thoughts?

All you have to do is install steam the the new location, then copy over the common apps folder. Seriously, you don't need a program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-10, 02:04 PM   #3
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
All you have to do is install steam the the new location, then copy over the common apps folder. Seriously, you don't need a program.
This.

Just copy and paste. It can't be any easier.
Old 11-26-10, 02:05 PM   #4
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
I usually copy the folders over first, then install Steam to that location, but yeah, no other app needed.
Old 11-26-10, 04:57 PM   #5
LurkerLito

I would definitely recommend not using any third party app to move steam. It's so easy to do yourself, and you don't risk it being a trojan that will steal your account.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-10, 05:42 PM   #6
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

copy/paste, done

/thread

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-10, 12:43 AM   #7
alan242

Another thing you can do it is if you want to move one or more games or even the whole cache is something like:

Exit Steam

Create the new directory/folder in the new location. I use the same name just to keep things straight. For example, to move Half Life 2 from C: to G:, create G:\Half Life 2\

Rename the old folder in the steam\steamapps\common directory. Example: "Half Life 2" to "Half Life 2.bak".

Using something like NTFS link, create a junction point in the common directory to point to the new target folder. Give it the same name before you renamed it above. The junction point is like a symlink in Unix/Linux. It makes a file or directory appear in one location but physically exist in another. You can do this on XP and up. But XP Explorer is less aware of them than Vista and 7.

Copy the contents of the .bak folder to the new folder (C:steam\steamapps\common\Half Life 2.bak\* -> G:\Half Life 2\).

Start Steam and verify the game contents that were just moved. If it verifies ok, test it by launching it. If it launches ok, you can delete the .bak folder.

You may want to try it with a small game first because if the verify fails, steam will start downloading the game again.
alan242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-10, 04:14 AM   #8
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Thanks for the info, great stuff. Just going to copy the folders over then perhaps symlink the odd game I want to enjoy the SSD speeds on. Like Fallout NV.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote