Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-26-10, 10:14 PM   #13
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: Another exampler of why I hate gamers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
How about this. If you don't like the games being made, the you put your money out there and you make the games. Sitting around crying about why things are not the way you want it makes you a..... gamer.

PC gaming isn't about options or choice. It is about making money. That's it. High Rez is a small company that took a big gamble on this game. It worked out for them and they have a solid game. The geek crying about this game did nothing to impact the sales of this small title.
Except that could only be the start of things, what if they decided they didn't want their game to run on Intel CPU'S?
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-10, 10:19 PM   #14
ragejg
nV News Alumni
 
ragejg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Finger Lakes of Hell, NY
Posts: 5,399
Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default Re: Another exampler of why I hate gamers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
How about this. If you don't like the games being made, the you put your money out there and you make the games. Sitting around crying about why things are not the way you want it makes you a..... gamer.

PC gaming isn't about options or choice. It is about making money. That's it. High Rez is a small company that took a big gamble on this game. It worked out for them and they have a solid game. The geek crying about this game did nothing to impact the sales of this small title.

Oh, it's about making money? Oh, well that changes everything now! Mind blown!

You're very, very wrong.

In the late 80s, into around 1990, PC gaming was simply another computer entertainment medium, like the NES and C64. But in the early 90s, shareware changed the landscape thanks to Apogee/id and Epic Megagames offering PC gamers a new CHOICE that was outside the proprietary delivery system and cost model.

The excitement and general attitude from this carried on through the years (through software, and later through hardware), and actually helped build the foundations of what is now the PC gaming culture. Actually, what it did was it converged with the already-in-place and well-established DIY PC market, which was really enjoying the home PC glory days brought on by Windows 3.1 and all of the graphics card competition (Windows GUI accelerators, boy there were a lot of them, and they were benchmarked similar to today's GPUs)... So Choice met Choice and had a bebeh named Choice.

Of course hardware and software companies have to make money and that's one of the main objectives of any business. But is it what PC gaming is all about? No. It's about using a friend's old x3 chip and old heatsink on a just-bought newegg motherboard and RAM with your old hard drive, in a 10 year old case, with a PSU and GPU that you bought with the help of your favorite hardware forum.... and using your favorite old mouse, some off-brand monitor, hooking it all up to your home theater setup, and having a great time with it playing your gams how YOU want to play them, with your AA/AF/gamma just right.

Granted there's plenty of buyers and gamers who "buy the box (or have Mom buy it), plug it in and play" and that does constitute a large population of PC gamers (and Tomshardware members).. but they're certainly not what it's about either.
__________________

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU


______________________________________________
Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch


ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-10, 01:32 AM   #15
Viral
Registered User of Women
 
Viral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,523
Default Re: Another exampler of why I hate gamers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
How about this. If you don't like the games being made, the you put your money out there and you make the games. Sitting around crying about why things are not the way you want it makes you a..... gamer.

PC gaming isn't about options or choice. It is about making money. That's it. High Rez is a small company that took a big gamble on this game. It worked out for them and they have a solid game. The geek crying about this game did nothing to impact the sales of this small title.
How bout I head over to the PR forum and every time you whinge about something the GOP does I tell you to just run for president your self or shutup.

I know games aren't as serious as the government of your country, that still doesn't take away the right of someone to express when a developer does something that effects them adversely. Yes, there are other games out there they can and will "just go play instead", but that doesn't make it any less disappointing when a developer you like or games based on an IP you're interested suddenly make changes for the worse.

Imagine if ford made the next mustang exclusively a hybrid 4cyl and front wheel drive. The fan base would cry out - using your general logic that you display here so often, they should just stop whinging, there are plenty of other cars out there that fit their needs, they should just buy one of them instead and stop complaining.

Even though I agree this instance is rather stupid and agree that Kyle is a bit of a dick, for you to constantly bash gamers on a gaming forum is a trollish act.
__________________
Q9550 w/ Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme | 4GB Team Xtreme Dark 800MHz CL4 | Gigabyte X48-DS5
ASUS Radeon 5870 | 240GB OCZ Vertex 2 | 1TB WD Green Power | BenQ V2400W 24" LCD
Corsair HX-1000w | LG GGW-H20L 6x DL Blu-Ray Burner/HD-DVD Reader | Coolermaster Cosmos S

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-10, 01:48 AM   #16
v3rninater
Blowin up since 1969
 
v3rninater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,095
Default Re: Another exampler of why I hate gamers.

I have to agree with (what it seems like) most everyone else in this argument. You can complain all you want, but that shouldn't change anything, that's pretty bogus and I would dare say, anti-American!

Are you serious dude, because you are saying that we should just take away freedom altogether, because the freedom of choice, is a large part of this country. The freedom to complain, go to any big company that makes 10 million dollars annually (or more) and tell them the customer can't or shouldn't complain! The customer is ALWAYS RIGHT, BROSIVE!!!

So if you don't like "gamers" complaining, with all the complaining you do, you might as well shut up and go live in China. That way you won't complain when you have to dump your newborn daughter into the trash simply because she's FEMALE. I mean, you can't fix what ain't broken right?
__________________
Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.4ghz 1600fsb || Gigabyte P45 EP45-UD3R stable as a rooock! || 4gb G-Skill DDR2 PC8500 5-5-5-15 || EVGA 580-GTX 1.5gb || Creative Fatal1ty Xram Sound Card 7.1 ||G-Skill Phoenix Pro SSD 120gb|| WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || 2x Samsung DVD burner 16x DVD+\- || Corsair 620watt PSU
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit (640gb hd)

AMD Phenom II X6 T1090 || Gigabyte GA880 || 4gb G-skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 || MSI 8800 Ultra o/c || WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || ASUS DVD Burner || XFX 750 watt PSU

LG 60" 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV 60PS11
Xbox 360
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-10, 02:05 AM   #17
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: Another exampler of why I hate gamers.

I'm going to agree with everybody else in this thread so that just for once I can disagree with the Stub.

I DISAGREE WIFF U STUB!!!!

Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-10, 03:33 AM   #18
CaptnStubing
Registered User
 
CaptnStubing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,714
Default Re: Another exampler of why I hate gamers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
How bout I head over to the PR forum and every time you whinge about something the GOP does I tell you to just run for president your self or shutup.

I know games aren't as serious as the government of your country, that still doesn't take away the right of someone to express when a developer does something that effects them adversely. Yes, there are other games out there they can and will "just go play instead", but that doesn't make it any less disappointing when a developer you like or games based on an IP you're interested suddenly make changes for the worse.

Imagine if ford made the next mustang exclusively a hybrid 4cyl and front wheel drive. The fan base would cry out - using your general logic that you display here so often, they should just stop whinging, there are plenty of other cars out there that fit their needs, they should just buy one of them instead and stop complaining.

Even though I agree this instance is rather stupid and agree that Kyle is a bit of a dick, for you to constantly bash gamers on a gaming forum is a trollish act.


Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rninater View Post
I have to agree with (what it seems like) most everyone else in this argument. You can complain all you want, but that shouldn't change anything, that's pretty bogus and I would dare say, anti-American!

Are you serious dude, because you are saying that we should just take away freedom altogether, because the freedom of choice, is a large part of this country. The freedom to complain, go to any big company that makes 10 million dollars annually (or more) and tell them the customer can't or shouldn't complain! The customer is ALWAYS RIGHT, BROSIVE!!!

So if you don't like "gamers" complaining, with all the complaining you do, you might as well shut up and go live in China. That way you won't complain when you have to dump your newborn daughter into the trash simply because she's FEMALE. I mean, you can't fix what ain't broken right?


Do you guys realize how thin-skinned and pathetic you sound? The two of you are the prime reason I hate gamers. You get your big-girl panties all wadded up the moment someone says anything you don't like. AHAHAHAH this is good comedy.

LMAO! Taking away your freedoms, go live in China! Fruit cake alert! The drama queen as gotten out of the barn.

BTW Hi-Rez isn't a big company.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-10, 04:13 AM   #19
Vardant
 
Vardant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: EU
Posts: 1,041
Default Re: Another exampler of why I hate gamers.

If you're ever planning to host any pro-gamer tournaments, you have to ignore things like Surround Vision and Eyefinity. Blizzard doesn't support it either in MP, do they? It gives people huge advantage over others.

FoV is a completely different thing. You don't need multiple monitors to use this. The picture might be skewed, if you go overboard, but you will be able to see the same thing. Quake 3 players were using it regularly.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-10, 08:09 AM   #20
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Another exampler of why I hate gamers.

I have no interest in that game anyway, so they wouldn't have got my money anyway.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-10, 12:53 AM   #21
Bah!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 868
Default Re: Another exampler of why I hate gamers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
If you're ever planning to host any pro-gamer tournaments, you have to ignore things like Surround Vision and Eyefinity. Blizzard doesn't support it either in MP, do they? It gives people huge advantage over others.
.
Exactly, and yet you don't see Kyle boycotting Blizzard, do you?
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-10, 01:14 AM   #22
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: Another exampler of why I hate gamers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
If you're ever planning to host any pro-gamer tournaments, you have to ignore things like Surround Vision and Eyefinity. Blizzard doesn't support it either in MP, do they? It gives people huge advantage over others.

FoV is a completely different thing. You don't need multiple monitors to use this. The picture might be skewed, if you go overboard, but you will be able to see the same thing. Quake 3 players were using it regularly.
lolwut?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft39wCete0E
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-10, 01:19 AM   #23
Vardant
 
Vardant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: EU
Posts: 1,041
Default Re: Another exampler of why I hate gamers.

I was watching so much SC2 the last few days, that I thought, it would be obvious, what I meant. Don't ask me why
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-10, 01:24 AM   #24
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: Another exampler of why I hate gamers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
I was watching so much SC2 the last few days, that I thought, it would be obvious, what I meant. Don't ask me why
Oh, well sc2 is used often in a competitive enviroment. If one korean had an advantage over the other, heads would roll. You know how srs they are about their sc2...

It should be allowed on single player however.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.