Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-03-03, 04:42 AM   #1
danboid

Default 2.4.21 on A7N8X oddities

I'm currently running a 2.4.21 kernel under Redhat 9 on a A7N8X board. With the stock RH9 kernel, halting the system would automatically turn off the machine. Now it suspends all the services, unmounts drives etc. and then says 'Power Down' and I have to manually flick the switch. Is there a specific feature I neglected to include when compiling the kernel?

Also, the KDE clock doesn't seem to work properly- for some reason it always ends up falling about 10 minutes behind. Is this a bug in the kernel, KDE or RedHat? This happened with the stock kernel as well as my new one though.

Thanks,

dan
danboid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-03, 11:14 AM   #2
brblueser

Hi danboid,

regarding the automatic power off, I believe you need to properly configure "Advanced Power Management BIOS support" during kernel compilation. It's under the "General Setup" option. There you will find, among other things, "Use real mode APM BIOS call to power off". Play with them and you might get where you want (read the docs first, though, there are a couple of warnings).

As for clock getting delayed, it might not be BIOS-related. Check your /etc/adjtime and the manpage for 'hwclock', they might give you a hint.

HTH

Andre
brblueser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-03, 02:16 AM   #3
danboid

Default Thanks

Thanks for that Andre, I'll give it a go.

dan
danboid is offline   Reply With Quote