Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-14-11, 08:16 AM   #1741
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Default Re: Official Battlefield 3 Beta Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by [AK]Zip View Post
I still don't understand why you guys care about the game being on Steam so much. It will require you to use Origin anyway like the GFWL games on Steam require you to use GFWL.
+1. u can add non steam games too for the chat... people are so hung up on Steam... you will STILL NEED ORIGIN to play BF3 even if you buy it on Steam....durr

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 09:50 AM   #1742
mojoman0

Maybe, battlelog is where all the chat and game joining gets done. It's honestly much better done than I was expecting. Very easy to join friends.
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 01:35 PM   #1743
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
friends....

yes u can ask ure friends to come to origin, but what if they don't want to? and u want to chat and play at the sametime?..

i know beta let u load origin via steam and have overlay but i am sure it will get fixed...

also cbf with origin....already uninstalled the moment beta died.
Works the other way around as well....

You can chat and play at the same time on Origin.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 01:40 PM   #1744
ElL33t
Brobama

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I don't mind Origin and I don't care if I have to use it besides Steam.
But I'd like to have all my games from the same service. Apart from a few simulation studios, "Digital Distribution = Steam" in my book.
So you want a monopoly?

Origin isn't that bad. People are just crying because it isn't what they are used to. I remember people crying about Steam before it came out.

Just play the game. I use Ventrilo for my chatting. Shocker, voice chat... I know...
I am the #1 Obama supporter
ElL33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 02:04 PM   #1745
HYBRID

Will we be able to adjust our game settings video card, binds etc? before being in game on release day? Because having to tweak a game setting the way it was in beta is such a fail.
[Asus Extreme Rampage III| Asus GTX580 Matrix |Intel I7 950 @ 4.011GHZ vcore 1.275| Corsair H80 Liquid Cooler| Intel SSD 80GB & 1 150 GIG Raptor|Corsair Dominator GT CMG6GX3M3A1600C7 | Asus Essence STX|Plextor PX-880SA|Asus BluRay Drive |Cosair HX-850HX| Corsair Obsidian 800D ||Win 7 RTM 64-Bit OEM|Samsung T-240 24" 1920X1200 5MS
HYBRID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 02:10 PM   #1746
GullyFoyle

New Battlefield Blog Post: Battleblog #14: Multiplayer Map Reveal, Part II

Quote:
Friday, 14 October 2011 07:00

Ready to see the final five multiplayer maps included in Battlefield 3? We talked to the multiplayer team at DICE about the concept behind each map, and how they decided which maps made the cut into the final game.

GRAND BAZAAR

WORKING TITLE> BAZAAR
DICE INTERNAL DESIGNATION> MP001
SUPPORTED GAME MODES> ALL
BRIEF> TIGHT URBAN COMBAT

FICTION> THE BATTLE FOR CENTRAL TEHRAN HAS REACHED ITS SECOND WEEK, AND WHAT WAS EXPECTED TO BE OVER WITHIN DAYS NOW CONTINUES AS RUSSIAN AND U.S. FORCES CLASH FOR CONTROL OVER THIS ANCIENT CITY.

DESIGN THOUGHTS> We knew we wanted to do something very urban in the city center of Tehran. The fiction has you coming in two weeks after fighting started, so the tight and narrowly built city has a great deal of destruction already when you spawn into the game. Grand Bazaar is a classically mirrored map where both sides have very similar pathways, sideways, and possibilities to traverse heights to get a better view of the action. It’s a very short range close quarter combat map where shotguns tend to be favored.

CASPIAN BORDER

WORKING TITLE> FOREST
DICE INTERNAL DESIGNATION> MP007
BRIEF> VEHICLE WARFARE IN LARGE VALLEY

FICTION> A RECON RUSSIAN FORCE HAS SET UP CAMP ON THE TURKMENISTAN SIDE OF THE IRANIAN BORDER AND PROCEEDED TO TAKE OVER THE HEAVILY BUILT UP BORDER CHECKPOINT.

DESIGN THOUGHTS> Caspian Border was meant to encapsulate the classic Battlefield all-out vehicle warfare gameplay, and also to be a lush and green contrast to the more urban and desert maps in Battlefield 3. The border control splitting the map in two was introduced to add an interesting break both visually and gameplay wise in the otherwise beautiful and open landscape. Caspian Border is one of the obvious map choices if you are after the full vehicle experience, as base distances are generally too long to cover by foot. Pretty much every type of vehicle is available in this map.

SEINE CROSSING

WORKING TITLE> PARIS
DICE INTERNAL DESIGNATION> MP011
BRIEF> VEHICLE/INFANTRY COMBAT IN DOWNTOWN PARIS

FICTION> THE AMERICAN INVASION OF RUSSIAN OCCUPIED PARIS IS IN FULL MOTION. THE UPSCALE AREA IN THE 7TH DISTRICT OF PARIS SERVES AS THE BATTLEGROUND.

DESIGN THOUGHTS> Seine Crossing has two sections of Paris split in the middle by the river Seine. Seine Crossing has a number of larger roads for vehicles to patrol, while infantry can sneak through tight alleyways and climb staircases to reach second or third levels inside buildings to reach a better tactical position – unless the enemy takes down the building facades. The final M-COM stations in Rush are placed inside a bank building, which is the largest indoor environments of this map and forces the attackers to slightly change tactics.

NOSHAHR CANALS

WORKING TITLE> CANALS
DICE INTERNAL DESIGNATION> MP017
BRIEF> MIXED COMBAT IN INDUSTRIAL SETTING

FICTION> U.S. MARINES LAUNCH A STRIKE ON A MAJOR HARBOR BY THE NOSHAHR CANALS ON THE IRANIAN COAST. THE STRATEGICALLY IMPORTANT PORT ALLOWS FOR DEEP WATER VESSELS TO OFFLOAD ESSENTIAL MATERIALS.

DESIGN THOUGHTS> When we set out to do Noshahr Canals, we wanted to contrast the urban and rural with something more industrial. So we set Noshahr Canals up as an industrial harbor, featuring a mix of infantry, land vehicle, and boat gameplay. The attackers in Rush start out on an carrier ship and can reach the beachhead by amphibious vehicles, boats, and helicopters. All of the bases on the map have an industrial theme but still have different styles, like a train yard, dry dock, or airfield. Compared with the larger vehicle maps in the game, this allows for tighter infantry combat.

KHARG ISLAND

WORKING TITLE> KHARG
DICE INTERNAL DESIGNATION> MP018
BRIEF> AMPHIBIOUS ASSAULT

FICTION> KHARG ISLAND IS IRAN’S BIGGEST OIL EXPORT TERMINAL. IF THE U.S. CAN STAKE CONTROL OVER THIS ISLAND, IT WILL DENY THE RUSSIANS CRITICAL ACCESS TO IRANIAN OIL RESERVES.

DESIGN THOUGHTS> Kharg Island is our second map with boat gameplay. Thematically it’s representing an assault against Kharg island in the Persian sea, an industrialized island not far from the Iranian coast. The map is slightly more focused on vehicles with longer distance between flags than for example Noshahar Canals. In the Rush game mode, the beach assault begins on the coastline with a well-defended beach you need to break through to create a beachhead for further attacks on the island, before it opens up wider in the later part of the map.

THIS IS HOW WE DO IT
Creating levels at DICE is a democratic affair, and a process that is ruled in equal amounts by art and gameplay design. This in order to not only get a balanced mix of gameplay variations in the game, but also a variety of visual impressions.

At the start of the design process, the artists mocked up a number of creative briefs together with level designers Inge Jøran Holberg, Diego Jimenez and Niklas Åstrand. These briefs explain the gameplay type and idea, story and visual theme. Everyone on the Battlefield 3 development team was encouraged to vote for their favorites among the briefs and also add ideas of their own. From there, prototypes of the favorite levels were produced in so called “pods” -- pairs with a level designer and artist per map -- so the team could play them to see which ones were the most promising.

Then, the team as a whole weighed the maps against one another to see which ones would make the most compelling and diverse package to ship the game with. We finally ended up with the 9 cherry-picked multiplayer maps you can read all about here today and in yesterday’s blog post. They’re the best of the best, the maps that shone the brightest in our playtests, and the ones that combined bring out everything we want both veteran and new Battlefield players to experience in Battlefield 3 multiplayer.

Oh, and did you know there's a sand castle on one of our maps in Battlefield 3? This classic easter egg has been present in many Battlefield maps through the years. See if you can find it!

THE COMPLETE BATTLEFIELD 3 MULTIPLAYER MAP LIST
(IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER)
Caspian Border / Level Designer: Diego Jimenez
Damavand Peak / Level Designer: Niklas Åstrand
Grand Bazaar / Level Designer: Niklas Åstrand
Kharg Island / Level Designer: Inge Jøran Holberg
Noshahar Canals / Level Designer: Niklas Åstrand
Operation Firestorm / Level Designer: Inge Jøran Holberg
Operation Métro / Level Designer: Inge Jøran Holberg
Seine Crossing / Level Designer: Diego Jimenez
Tehran Highway / Level Designer: Niklas Åstrand
GullyFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 02:56 PM   #1747
mojoman0

some nice battlefield play 4 free chopper footage while we wait

mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 04:23 PM   #1748
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

lol wow that map has a lot of fog in the play4free version.

Old 10-14-11, 10:38 PM   #1749
K007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Works the other way around as well....

You can chat and play at the same time on Origin.
Read what i said again...
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 11:28 PM   #1750
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
Read what i said again...
And?
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-11, 02:14 AM   #1751
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I only need one service like this, so yes, I wouldn't mind that.
Wouldnt that kind of go against capitalism? The strengths is that with many companies, we have more choice and (hopefully) a better product. I only need a graphics card, so should ATi just go away? No, because ATi offers stuffs that nVidia doesn't, and vice versa. Origin is offering something steam doesn't have. Good for them, imo.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-11, 05:42 AM   #1752
Rummy

Well Steam or Origin I don't really care, this game will kick some ass.
Rummy is offline   Reply With Quote