Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-15-11, 11:57 AM   #1753
ElL33t
Brobama

Default Re: Official Battlefield 3 Beta Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I only need one service like this, so yes, I wouldn't mind that.
It isn't about what you need. It is about competition. It's is about having choices. If Origin is a bad service it will not last. Just being limited to one service is very short-sighted.

You can make short cuts to all your programs on your desktop. SHOCKER!
I am the #1 Obama supporter
ElL33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-11, 08:10 PM   #1754
K007

K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-11, 09:37 PM   #1755
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Quote:
Competition is good when it can push technology (or whatever) forward, make that better product you mentioned.
Once exclusive deals come into play, and they usually do, it's not always a good thing for the customer. There is no clear "better product" anymore and sometimes you're almost forced to settle with the less attractive product just to be able to have that exclusive something.

Depending on what were talking about, those exclusive deals will only make the consumer spend more money... So you're right, it's good for them. Not good for us.

This doesn't apply in this case, but it happens on a regular basis in other areas
But the better product is the one which caters to my needs, no? I want to play BF3. Origin has it. Steam doesn't. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY ORIGIN.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 02:02 AM   #1756
Greedo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tying_%28commerce%29

Quote:
The basic idea is that consumers are harmed by being forced to buy an undesired good (the tied good) in order to purchase a good they actually want (the tying good), and so would prefer that the goods be sold separately. The company doing this bundling may have a significantly large market share so that it may impose the tie on consumers, despite the forces of market competition. The tie may also harm other companies in the market for the tied good, or who sell only single components.

One effect of tying can be that low quality products achieve a higher market share than would otherwise be the case. For example in the UK an example of tying is a discount for customers who lease a telephone line, get satellite television and get broadband access from the same company. This discourages customers from getting broadband from another company even though the reliability of the service may be superior, as the loss of the discount can mean a substantial increase in total cost.
/tying
Greedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 02:27 AM   #1757
Sean_W

Don't be hypocrites guys, you're using Windows which has done the same thing for over a decade. This is what proprietary software tries to do all the time, lock you into their software or services.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 03:06 AM   #1758
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Quote:
You are the perfect customer. Not for yourself. But for them
However, BF3 is not the product here. It's just a mean to force the customer to use the lesser product.
I don't pay to use Origin. I also don't pay to use Steam. These are not products. I cannot walk into an electronics store and say "I want to buy Origin". I may be forced to use certain FREE services to play a game, but the reason I spend my money is not to use said services.
The product is the game. I pay $49 or $59 or whatever it happens to be to play the game, not to look at greedo's Origin profile.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 03:37 AM   #1759
Sean_W

I'm sure if EA and Valve come to a deal with BF3 on Stream, you'll stop bitching about it. If you don't like the service, don't buy the game.
Old 10-16-11, 03:52 AM   #1760
K007

Quote:
Again, probably for the 10th time, I have nothing against Origin and I don't mind using it. You seem to forget that constantly. Memory loss anyone?
I'm against this exclusive deal. Once it's on Steam, I'm happy again.
yea i wouldn't waste your time on him.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-11, 05:05 AM   #1761
Sean_W

Quote:
Again, probably for the 10th time, I have nothing against Origin and I don't mind using it. You seem to forget that constantly. Memory loss anyone?
I'm against this exclusive deal. Once it's on Steam, I'm happy again.
And you're against the exclusive deals on Steam? I know what you're saying but it still doesn't change the fact that if you don't like it, don't buy it. Exclusive deals are a fact of proprietary software because it makes them more money. If BF3 was exclusive to Steam, you wouldn't be whining about it.
Old 10-16-11, 12:08 PM   #1762
RollinThundr

Quote:
Oh, Steam and Origin are big products for them! For example they provide access to a whole ecosystem where you can spend money on.

Anyway, I was replying in regard to my previous post you quoted. BF3 is, for now, that exclusive item to force you to use the product Origin.
Like I mentioned above, in this case this exclusive deal doesn't force you to spend more money like it's the case for other exclusive deals. But is sure is there to promote their new product Origin.
The hell does it matter what DD platform it's on then? Make a shortcut on your desktop and play. Valve is partly to blame for this for wanting to force every developer to sell dlc on their store front. They are no less greedy or out for money than EA.
RollinThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 01:24 PM   #1763
Blade
It's just a ride....

Half the people crying about no BF3 on steam are kids without credit cards, they have to wait for daddy to fill up their Steam Wallets to buy games.

I no give a **** which one wants to sell to me, as long as i get what i want when i want it for the right price, hell i'll even buy it from ya momma if she's the only option.
Old 10-16-11, 02:14 PM   #1764
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
I no give a **** which one wants to sell to me, as long as i get what i want when i want it for the right price, hell i'll even buy it from ya momma if she's the only option.

Yeah, all of a sudden, people are taking the moral high ground on BF3 and Origin.