Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-29-11, 11:13 AM   #2341
ArrowMk84

Default Re: Official Battlefield 3 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
Anyone know why HT is such an issue with BF3...game runs fine without it.
Beats me. I'm using HT and I've seen troubles at all. The only real issue I've had with the game is the rubber banding and 64 and 56 player servers.

And man if this game isn't filled with 'moments'. Last night my squad and I were pinned down on the second and third floors of one of the apartment buildings on Seine Crossing by a Russian tank. He's poking out from behind on the corner shops down the street, shelling us to his heart's content. Our AT guy lands a hit, and takes a direct hit from the tank in response (no reviving that). Me and other guy are shooting at the engineers and others around the tank (I'm using the M302, he's using his rifle), trying to keep them pinned and just make a decent last stand, when all of a sudden two AT missiles streak down the street, blowing up the tank. Then we see a crap of bullets just mow down the Russians that didn't have the good sense to run back around the corner. What a great game!
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-11, 11:25 AM   #2342
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

I dont really notice any difference without HT either. In fact it feel smoother with HT on especially when you get a lot of destruction happening.

Wonder if the HT issue is causing issues with something specific like SSD HDs?

I've got 16GB ram, no SSDs in my PC. Also, I'm using a SB x-fi ti sound card (not onboard). With some people not seeing choppiness with HT enabled, it's gotta be something else in the rig and HT enabled causing the issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-11, 11:33 AM   #2343
ArrowMk84

I don't think it's the SSD, unless he has the game loaded on it (I installed it on my Raptor RAID). It could a be a bug with game's scheduler (probably not, since we're not affected), the interaction between the game and the AMD video drivers (my bet) or some setting in his overclock is causing "bubbles" when feeding data to 8 logical cores vs four logical cores. Turning off HT to fix it shouldn't be a big deal to lee, well as long as he's not doing a ton of video editing or digital art on the side.
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Old 10-29-11, 11:44 AM   #2344
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowMk84 View Post
I don't think it's the SSD, unless he has the game loaded on it (I installed it on my Raptor RAID). It could a be a bug with game's scheduler (probably not, since we're not affected), the interaction between the game and the AMD video drivers (my bet) or some setting in his overclock is causing "bubbles" when feeding data to 8 logical cores vs four logical cores. Turning off HT to fix it shouldn't be a big deal to lee, well as long as he's not doing a ton of video editing or digital art on the side.
there are a bunch of people with Nvidia GPUs seeing smoother performance with it off too. Somehow I dont think it's the GPU. Wonder how many are using onboard sound? I just mentioned SSD cause I dont have one and I dont have the stutter but who knows maybe it's the USB mouse drivers and HT... again I have a G9 but I dont load any logitech software... so it could be something like that even...

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-11, 11:52 AM   #2345
ArrowMk84

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
there are a bunch of people with Nvidia GPUs seeing smoother performance with it off too. Somehow I dont think it's the GPU. Wonder how many are using onboard sound? I just mentioned SSD cause I dont have one and I dont have the stutter but who knows maybe it's the USB mouse drivers and HT... again I have a G9 but I dont load any logitech software... so it could be something like that even...
Beats me. All these variables are giving me a headache. I feel sorry for the poor guy at DICE that has to debug this - debugging across parallel threads on multiple cores is never fun.

Old 10-29-11, 12:12 PM   #2346
bacon12

Lots of little things need to be fixed in the game but its so much fun with friends. Squad play teamwork still owns just as it should.

I can't believe how ineffective rockets are against infantry. Several times direct hits with an RPG at close range don't kill which is unacceptable to me. The lasers and flashlights need to be nerfed, I know its cool new tech they are showing off but its stupid that you are completely blinded by them. How is it a laser sight takes up 3/4 of my 24" monitor?

Tanks take more dmg than I like as well. A single mine should destroy a tank, not just disable it.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-11, 12:16 PM   #2347
mojoman0

well if a laser is in your eyeball youre gonna be blinded. the flashlights are annoying but I think if they halved their brightness they wouldnt be worth anything. The rpg's are pretty weak against infantry which can be annoying but its definitely so that people use guns against people and rockets against vehicles, which is how it should be. We all know what rocket spam was like from bc2 and its not fun
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-11, 12:20 PM   #2348
bacon12

Honestly realistic isn't fun. I want it to be fun, and sure a laser in my eye irl would blind me. One shot would also take someone off the battlefield as well. Who wants to play a game where one shot and you have to sit in the hospital, and do rehab the rest of the game?

Gustav was bad because there was no fall off, and the splash was huge. There is no excuse for a point blank rocket to the feet not killing. Hell half the time it doesn't even register a hit.

Old 10-29-11, 12:48 PM   #2349
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Going through one of "thooose" moments with this game, the more I play the worse I actually get. Thinking as to why this was happening I came to the conclusion that not only am I not very good, but I don't care. Don't have the will to get better at it. I was average 15 kills to 4 or 5 deaths for the first couple of days with a nice points tally. (Proxy unlocked early) Actually find myself going prone in the open and just walking away from the desk to go do something else, that's how gripped I am.

Been many moments where I could have sworn I was playing MW2 or Black Ops or something.

Remember playing BF1942 + Modern combat and BF2, was always improvement and wanting to go somewhere. Liked the map design and always a sense of progression.

BF3 has a sense of shallowness to it I just can't pinpoint. Like i've done this many times before and the glossy nick of paint just doesn't do enough to justify bothering with it.

Uninstalled and onto something else.

The blinding from flashlights in DAYLIGHT is just ridiculous, it's more COD type nonsense.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-11, 01:10 PM   #2350
mojoman0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Honestly realistic isn't fun. I want it to be fun, and sure a laser in my eye irl would blind me. One shot would also take someone off the battlefield as well. Who wants to play a game where one shot and you have to sit in the hospital, and do rehab the rest of the game?

Gustav was bad because there was no fall off, and the splash was huge. There is no excuse for a point blank rocket to the feet not killing. Hell half the time it doesn't even register a hit.
haha i know the thing is its fun for the other guy. these things would be worthless if they got nerfed, maybe thats fine. seems the splash damage is just tiny on the rpg and the tank as well. im fine with that as i dont want half the team running around shooting them at infantry like bc2. im sure stuff will be tweaked around in the future
Old 10-29-11, 01:13 PM   #2351
mojoman0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent View Post
Going through one of "thooose" moments with this game, the more I play the worse I actually get. Thinking as to why this was happening I came to the conclusion that not only am I not very good, but I don't care. Don't have the will to get better at it. I was average 15 kills to 4 or 5 deaths for the first couple of days with a nice points tally. (Proxy unlocked early) Actually find myself going prone in the open and just walking away from the desk to go do something else, that's how gripped I am.

Been many moments where I could have sworn I was playing MW2 or Black Ops or something.

Remember playing BF1942 + Modern combat and BF2, was always improvement and wanting to go somewhere. Liked the map design and always a sense of progression.

BF3 has a sense of shallowness to it I just can't pinpoint. Like i've done this many times before and the glossy nick of paint just doesn't do enough to justify bothering with it.

Uninstalled and onto something else.

The blinding from flashlights in DAYLIGHT is just ridiculous, it's more COD type nonsense.
i would suggest playing some different game modes. I'd try squad deathmatch or a 32-48 man server where you have a little more room to roam, set up some traps, and start scheming ways to dispatch tanks and stuff. Thats where the fun of big maps comes into play. c4 = fun
Old 10-29-11, 01:25 PM   #2352
bacon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
haha i know the thing is its fun for the other guy. these things would be worthless if they got nerfed, maybe thats fine. seems the splash damage is just tiny on the rpg and the tank as well. im fine with that as i dont want half the team running around shooting them at infantry like bc2. im sure stuff will be tweaked around in the future
I get that having a really overpowered weapon like the gustav in BC2 is bad. There will be lots running around using it as a primary.

This is an engineer self protection thing. When you are attacking a tank with infantry on the ground, or someone hops out to kill you, the weapon switch couldn't be more clunky. Really bad experience especially compared to a game with fast switch.

So I have the option of firing my rocket I have out and hoping for a kill, or trying to switch to my rifle and maybe land one of two hitpoints, and unless I get a headshot I die.