Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-20-12, 05:59 PM   #3457
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: Official Battlefield 3 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
shouldnt you be playing this game...
I don't have the internet connection to play this game. Just got done playing some L4D with DOC and Munkus, and even in that game I had some lag (ping was usually around 130 something, seldom less).

Though I haven't tried the co-op, that might be doable.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 06:20 PM   #3458
bob saget
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver, originally Russia
Posts: 23,134
Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget
Default Re: Official Battlefield 3 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I don't have the internet connection to play this game. Just got done playing some L4D with DOC and Munkus, and even in that game I had some lag (ping was usually around 130 something, seldom less).

Though I haven't tried the co-op, that might be doable.
130 isnt awful i think. well see how it is and then we gotta do co-op.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 06:49 PM   #3459
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: Official Battlefield 3 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
130 isnt awful i think. well see how it is and then we gotta do co-op.
Well, I have to admit I've yet to try BF3 MP. I'm just going off of how BC2 played. I'd either get kicked from the server cause my ping was through the roof (talking 300 minimum) or I'd just rage quit cause it was so bad. Maybe BF3 would be better, though I'm not sure how and especially on a larger 64 player server. Those are the ones I'd want to play in.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 06:52 PM   #3460
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Official Battlefield 3 Thread

Lag compensation in BF3 is decent. It's annoying playing against higher ping players though because you die around corners.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 06:54 PM   #3461
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: Official Battlefield 3 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Lag compensation in BF3 is decent. It's annoying playing against higher ping players though because you die around corners.
That's honestly what pissed me off the most about BC2- I'd unload a full clip into somebody and a second later I'd be dead, by them.

But maybe I should give BF3 MP a go, shouldn't judge it based on BC2 I guess.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 09:11 PM   #3462
bob saget
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver, originally Russia
Posts: 23,134
Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget
Default Re: Official Battlefield 3 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Well, I have to admit I've yet to try BF3 MP. I'm just going off of how BC2 played. I'd either get kicked from the server cause my ping was through the roof (talking 300 minimum) or I'd just rage quit cause it was so bad. Maybe BF3 would be better, though I'm not sure how and especially on a larger 64 player server. Those are the ones I'd want to play in.
no excuses. co-op is just 2 individuals against bots. i am online most nights. lets put that shiny new 5870 of yours through its paces.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 10:15 PM   #3463
knghtwhosaysni
Ni!
 
knghtwhosaysni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 457
Default Re: Official Battlefield 3 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
That's honestly what pissed me off the most about BC2- I'd unload a full clip into somebody and a second later I'd be dead, by them.

But maybe I should give BF3 MP a go, shouldn't judge it based on BC2 I guess.
BF3's hit detection for normal bullets are pretty much completely client-side hit detection. So if it looks like it hits to you, then it hits. Downside (and honestly pretty damn frustrating IMO) is that I feel like I get killed in cover more often than other games... if someone sees you in a position only because they were lagging then they can still get a hit even if server-side hit detection would call it a miss.
__________________
| i7-2600k | ASUS P8H67-M LE | eVGA GTX 275 1792MB | 8GB 1333mhz | Samsung 830 64GB | Seagate 7200.10 320GB | Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB | Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic | Dell S2209W | Audio-Technica ATH-A700 | Logitech G500 | Logitech Driving Force GT |
knghtwhosaysni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 01:10 AM   #3464
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: Official Battlefield 3 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
no excuses. co-op is just 2 individuals against bots. i am online most nights. lets put that shiny new 5870 of yours through its paces.


We'll definitely have to give it a go. I've got an early day tomorrow so bed is beckoning right now. But I don't go in till late Wednesday. Maybe we can get a game of co-op in tomorrow night. I'd enjoy that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knghtwhosaysni View Post
BF3's hit detection for normal bullets are pretty much completely client-side hit detection. So if it looks like it hits to you, then it hits. Downside (and honestly pretty damn frustrating IMO) is that I feel like I get killed in cover more often than other games... if someone sees you in a position only because they were lagging then they can still get a hit even if server-side hit detection would call it a miss.
I've been rather consumed by Skyrim, after that I gotta' go through RAGE. But I'll give BF3 MP a go. See if it plays better than BC2 did. I sure would love driving my steamy, hot steel through Bob's rear... err... back.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-12, 01:38 PM   #3465
Logical
Registered User
 
Logical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,523
Default Re: Official Battlefield 3 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by knghtwhosaysni View Post
BF3's hit detection for normal bullets are pretty much completely client-side hit detection. So if it looks like it hits to you, then it hits. Downside (and honestly pretty damn frustrating IMO) is that I feel like I get killed in cover more often than other games... if someone sees you in a position only because they were lagging then they can still get a hit even if server-side hit detection would call it a miss.
I really miss pure servers, all this bull**** with making a mp game playable for a 300 pinger is dev comedy. I mean, i spend good money on top of the range routers, have laid out RJ45 cable throughout the house so 2 computers can be hard wired to cut ms off ping in games...i pay for the fastest available mainstream internet in my country 120MB down / 10MB up....Yet joe bloggs console gamer tries MW3 on his dads ancient 486DX with voodoo gpu and using his mobile phone as a modem and manages to avoid getting pwned by me because he is literally teleporting all over the map.....

Seriously, its a common problem these days that mp games are advantageous towards laggers. This was never the case with pure servers.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 02:32 PM   #3466
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Official Battlefield 3 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
I really miss pure servers, all this bull**** with making a mp game playable for a 300 pinger is dev comedy. I mean, i spend good money on top of the range routers, have laid out RJ45 cable throughout the house so 2 computers can be hard wired to cut ms off ping in games...i pay for the fastest available mainstream internet in my country 120MB down / 10MB up....Yet joe bloggs console gamer tries MW3 on his dads ancient 486DX with voodoo gpu and using his mobile phone as a modem and manages to avoid getting pwned by me because he is literally teleporting all over the map.....

Seriously, its a common problem these days that mp games are advantageous towards laggers. This was never the case with pure servers.
It's ironic really. They have increased anti-lag measures to the point where people with lag actually have an advantage, while network speeds/latencies have all improved. Obviously it's because they finally have the hardware to do this now, but it's too late.

It's like, those who spend top dollar and actually know what they're doing are penalized so 12 year old Johnny can get a couple kills and feel good about himself.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 03:25 PM   #3467
nutcrackr
Super Registered User
 
nutcrackr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,204
Default Re: Official Battlefield 3 Thread

I really don't think high lag is a huge advantage in BF3, I've played on a few overseas servers and while I still get kills the lag hurts quite a bit during normal play. You tend to die well before you get a chance to react by ducking on changing direction. I figure throwing them a few kills is hardly terrible.
__________________
.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-12, 03:17 PM   #3468
nutcrackr
Super Registered User
 
nutcrackr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,204
Default Re: Official Battlefield 3 Thread

Some of the huge patch list (here ) is quite strange

namely one good shot from a tank to the side of a tank disables it, couple of other changes make it sound like it will be easier to kill vehicles in the new patch.

Seems like the IGLA and Stinger are getting buffed but at the cost of reduced range
__________________
.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.