Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-01-10, 10:58 PM   #1
suburbanguy

Default Microsoft chooses AMD Fusion II for Next Generation Xbox ?

Quote:
Microsoft chooses AMD Fusion II for XBox 720

Initial AMD Fusion designs will work, but the full potential won’t be realised until the end of next year. Based on comments by people like Chekib Akrout, of all the likely designs to be targeted at the XBox 720 product, we think there’s a good chance that it will be the AMD Krishna product. This will be produced on Global Foundries’ 28nm ‘high-k gate first’ process (originally introduced in 2007 by co-inventors IBM, Toshiba and, ironically, Sony). The only real technical challenge for the first XBox 360 consoles was heat/noise, for which the AMD Krishna product could be the answer.

If it is AMD’s Krishna product, then that brings another tantalising possibility to the table. More on that later.

Given how slowly things move in the world of console gaming, we’d expect a new XBox 720 product (assuming no major issues with Global Foundries) to be launched in 2012.
http://www.kitguru.net/software/gami...-for-xbox-720/

Quote:
While the Xbox 360 is still going strong, particularly with the recent release of the Kinect, it appears Microsoft is preparing the innards of its successor rumoured to be called the Xbox 720. KitGuru reports that Microsoft has chosen the AMD Fusion II processor for the console.
http://www.techeye.net/hardware/foxc...#ixzz16stsNwRq

Quote:
AMD Fusion II on next-generation XBox
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/17842/...neration_xbox/
suburbanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 03:40 AM   #2
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎

Default Re: Microsoft chooses AMD Fusion II for Next Generation Xbox ?

I really don't know why they are doing it. I know AMD have now not best condition but come on. They sold 45mln Xbox 360 in 5 years. That mean's that AMD sold 45mln Xenos in it. Is it big enough? Discrete GPU sales ( I'm not talking about integretaed shi t) is around 100mln every year and AMD discrete market share is around 30%. That mean's that they sell about 30mln of discrete GPU's every year. And the half of them is for more than 100$. It's for sure more than 100mln discrete GPU's in 5 year's with a lot more cash from them than from Xenos.

They just hurting they business. Xbox sell will not hep for selling discrete GPU's and CPU's.

And it doesn't metter that it is Fusion, we will be getting POS every time when they will convert some game.
Old 12-02-10, 07:28 AM   #3
suburbanguy

What?
suburbanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 07:35 AM   #4
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

It's a good idea, perfect kind of solution of HTPCs and consoles.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 01:40 PM   #5
|MaguS|

I bet they go with IBM again for the CPU. They have a strong grasp on the CPU Market for consoles.
Old 12-02-10, 03:39 PM   #6
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
I bet they go with IBM again for the CPU. They have a strong grasp on the CPU Market for consoles.
Besides the super computers, what else really uses IBM CPU's?

PowerPC architecture is dying...
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 03:59 PM   #7
mullet

I was really hoping for a dual core CPU and dual core GPU for the next console. I really wish they would come up with a GPU socket to where you could just upgrade the GPU chip.
Old 12-02-10, 05:28 PM   #8
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet View Post
I was really hoping for a dual core CPU and dual core GPU for the next console. I really wish they would come up with a GPU socket to where you could just upgrade the GPU chip.
That would defeat the purpose of the closed platform that consoles offer. Allowing people to upgrade their console would create a separation within the community and hurt development worse. Look how removal of the hard drive impacted games on the xbox, Some people can't even play Halo Reach because of it.

Old 12-02-10, 05:31 PM   #9
ViN86

Also, the idea behind consoles is to completely standardize everything so all players have the same performance/experience.
Old 12-02-10, 09:54 PM   #10
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Hope it's just a rumor!

This is not what we need, another under-powered console right from the start.

Fusion is a good way to improve IGP gaming performance for low end/office computers. That'll help PC gaming overall.
But for an all-gaming product it would underpowered IMO. Even the second generation part.

At least it's x86 based, maybe a good sign for PC ports.
inorite?

They should have no less than an i7 980 Extreme on phase change running at 5GHz, with dual GTX590s on phase as well! 16GB RAM minimum with 1TB SSD (4x256GB in RIAD 10).

No less, or it's an utter failure!

Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 10:10 PM   #11
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Embedded systems can also be PowerPC based. Military grade or aerospace products are often based on (very) old but trusted and reliable hardware.

It's definitely not dying! I'll probably never be a mass market success though but that's not really important.
I meant more in the PC market. Apple jumped ship a few years ago. x86 dominates now.

PowerPC has found its own niche in embedded systems and super computing.
Old 12-03-10, 01:26 AM   #12
Lyme

Kitguru doesn't state their source, and as such it is near impossible to show that it is anything but made up. The other two sites use Kitguru as their reference.

That being said, I expect that Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo have been in development of their next generation consoles for a while now. Even if the designs are not settled, the designing, sampling and reviewing of hardware can take some time.

My expectation is that Microsoft will not go with the AMD Fusion (any version) for the next generation xbox.

Why? For a number of simple reasons:
1. MS doesn't want people buying their game consoles for anything other than what they offer because they lose money on the sales. This was one of the reasons why the original xbox was discontinued so early (of many).
2. The current cpu design and architecture works, and sticking with what works makes development companies happy. Expect more of the same in the next xbox.
3. x86 based development is hard compared to custom streamlined designs, and these devices tend to get used for other purposes than intended. MS doesn't like that.
4. Microsoft has put a significant investment into the development tools/software for the powerpc architecture, I can't see them wanting to throw this away and starting from scratch.

However, I can see MS taking a hybrid approach and using swapping out the AMD cpu part of Fusion and keeping the rest with some additional graphics tweaks. Keep what works, and toss out what doesn't.

MS in most regards seems to have a pretty clear path, Sony and Nintendo are going to be the wild cards.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote