Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-06-02, 09:57 AM   #1
sbp

Default Maxtor says 1 year warranty

Seen on http://www.storagereview.com Maxtor announced its next generation ATA drives and this new policy.

"An interesting development accompanies this product announcement. Starting October 1st, the warranty on Maxtor's standard ATA drives will be one year in length, down from the three years that Maxtor and many competitors currently offer on their desktop units."
sbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-02, 03:37 PM   #2
sbp

Bad move by Maxtor.

There is still Seagate and Western Digital to get.

Wonder if other hard drive makers will follow this example?

At least Europeans will have at least 2 years warranty since its the law there.

IBM would probably reduce their warranty on Deathstars to 90 days if they could! Assuming anyone still has one that works.
sbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-02, 09:19 AM   #3
PsychoSy

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSy Send a message via AIM to PsychoSy

I've been a die-hard Maxtor man for the past 5-6 years. This decision tells me that Maxtor is experiancing quality control issues and expects a high failure rate with their drives in the coming future. This is a major disappointment and I'm officially done with Maxtor as I find this move to a one year warranty unexceptable and anyone that buys a Maxtor drive after October is making investment suicide.

Shame on you, Maxtor.
Looks like it's a ballgame between Seagate and WD, now.
Old 09-07-02, 12:33 PM   #4
netviper13
Treehugger

That's the first thing I thought when I read about that: they must know their hard drives are crappy for some reason and they don't want to spend the money to fix the problem.

What a cheap way to get around putting out a quality product.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-02, 12:50 PM   #5
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

I'm with Sy on this one, same thoughts went thru my head as well as being a die-hard fan/supporter...
not any longer...sorry

I can't tell you how much biz I sent their way because of their fantastic no-quibble 3yr warranty! oh well...
Old 09-07-02, 05:39 PM   #6
Switch

Thumbs down

Hmmm... I'm not happy seeing this either. Baaaaddd move Maxtor.
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-02, 10:20 AM   #7
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Do you really think that it means that thier drivers are any worse? Anyone ever remeber Elsa use to have a 5year warranty on thier video cards yet others had only one. Now when spending $400 on a video card compared to what $100 for a HDD a 5year warranty would seem the safest beat. But this alone didnt sell Elsa cards, people still bought other cards with only a 1 year warranty. So Maxtor will now have a one year warranty, what about other parts of your pc? Things that cost alot more? Do they all come with a 3year warranty? I wouldnt worry too much about the change, the move alone shouldnt mean worse quality products. For all you die hard Maxtor people, why should this bother you at all, you know as well as I, that you have never needed a 3 year warranty
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-02, 01:56 PM   #8
netviper13
Treehugger

If your CPU dies it's no big deal, you're just without a computer until you can get a new CPU in. Same with every other component in your system except the Hard Drive. When it dies, all your data dies too. Yes I realize you should have backups, but still a three-year warranty on Hard Drives makes a lot of sense.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-02, 09:42 AM   #9
FastM
GeForceFlop

Send a message via ICQ to FastM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey
Do you really think that it means that thier drivers are any worse? Anyone ever remeber Elsa use to have a 5year warranty on thier video cards yet others had only one. Now when spending $400 on a video card compared to what $100 for a HDD a 5year warranty would seem the safest beat. But this alone didnt sell Elsa cards, people still bought other cards with only a 1 year warranty. So Maxtor will now have a one year warranty, what about other parts of your pc? Things that cost alot more? Do they all come with a 3year warranty? I wouldnt worry too much about the change, the move alone shouldnt mean worse quality products. For all you die hard Maxtor people, why should this bother you at all, you know as well as I, that you have never needed a 3 year warranty
Well if a VideoCard, CPU, (maybe not memory) SoundCard.. work fine the first day you put it in your system, chances are it will last years and years and years. HD's on the other hand have moving parts and will most definatly fail one day or another. Im not giving up on maxtor yet, for all we know all the other HD company's are having just as much trouble and dont want to say anything about it. Like any purchase i make, it will be researched.
(1MB L2 cache, 2.0GHz) | Radeon® Xpress 200M | 1GB DDR333 | ATI® MOBILITY™ RADEON® X700 128MB | Realtek ALC250 | Toshiba MK-1032GAX 100GB 16m | Matsh1ta UJ-845S 8x DVD Burner | WSXGA+ 15.4" 1680x1050 | The Ferrari 4005 |
FastM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 10:43 AM   #10
Fotis
Radeforce GTX7970

Taking about warranties my old voodoo3 3000 had a 10year warranty!!!Well 3dfx didn't last that long!!!

Last edited by Fotis; 09-10-02 at 10:49 AM.
Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 12:43 PM   #11
Switch

Quote:
Originally posted by Fotis
Taking about warranties my old voodoo3 3000 had a 10year warranty!!!Well 3dfx didn't last that long!!!
Don't forget Visiontek's lifetime warranty... Doesn't look like I'll get the full benefits of that one....
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-02, 02:04 PM   #12
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Don't look now, but Seagate and Western Digital are jumping on Maxtor's bandwagon. I'm probably gonna go out and pick up another 60 gig Seagate before the 1 year thing kicks in on Oct. 1. This is a shocking and disappointing turn of events.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote