Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-03-03, 08:20 PM   #25
AnteP
Nordic Nerd

Send a message via ICQ to AnteP

Nice review. I Especially like the layout you've got going with pictures and descriptions and comments on real world gameplay.
If I only had more time with the products I review I'd love to do that.

Personally though I prefer shootouts rather than single product reviews which often tend to rather look like product presentations.
To clarify what I mean: it's not like buying a videocard is a yes or no question.
"Should I buy the BFG 5900 Ultra?"

It's rather: "Which videocard out of these 5 boards in the same pricerange would suit me the best?"
With the added "And how does these 5 boards compare to the boards in a notch lower price range."
Or at least: "Which 5900 Ultra should I buy?" (As in a roundup of baords based on the same chip.)

I know you guys have had a few boards in your possession. Why not throw them all together in a roundup instead of doing these single board reviews?
And to make it a bit more viable throw in a 9800 Pro.

On another note I must say that we probably have completely different views on what "playable" is.
I have a 5900 Ultra myself. Running at 475/950 MHz and I've yet to find a somewhat modern game where 8x FSAA is usable. Hell even 4xS is too rough on almost all the games I've tried. Especially when combined with 8x AF.

I liked the fact that the board offered ViVo. No damn ATi boards do except for the ultra expensive AIW 9800 Pro (which is currently in my possession btw )
AnteP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-03, 08:20 PM   #26
Clay

Default UT2003 results

I'm on it. I used what came form the UT2K3 Bench program. I'll post my findings here.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-03, 08:53 PM   #27
Sean P.
www.pcper.com

Send a message via ICQ to Sean P.

Excellent review Clay...I especially liked the variety in terms of benchmarks used...

Overall, an excellent effort here man...nicely done...
www.pcper.com
Sean P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-03, 08:54 PM   #28
surfhurleydude
Radeon 9900 Pro

Quote:
did you notice that these numbers are scored using an Athlon 1700+ ??
No pal, I noticed that there were 2 asbestos botmatches, 1 absbestos flyby, and 1 antalus flyby.

surfhurleydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-03, 09:03 PM   #29
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by AnteP
Nice review. I Especially like the layout you've got going with pictures and descriptions and comments on real world gameplay.
If I only had more time with the products I review I'd love to do that.
Thanks!

Quote:

Personally though I prefer shootouts rather than single product reviews which often tend to rather look like product presentations.
To clarify what I mean: it's not like buying a videocard is a yes or no question.
"Should I buy the BFG 5900 Ultra?"
Couldn't agree with you more. This was the best I could do with the hardware available and time given though.

Quote:

I know you guys have had a few boards in your possession. Why not throw them all together in a roundup instead of doing these single board reviews?
And to make it a bit more viable throw in a 9800 Pro.
That'd be pretty easy if we all lived on the same block, which we don't. jk Seriously, I agree. Roundups are awesome but logistics to allow for that aren't so easy.

Quote:

On another note I must say that we probably have completely different views on what "playable" is.
I have a 5900 Ultra myself. Running at 475/950 MHz and I've yet to find a somewhat modern game where 8x FSAA is usable. Hell even 4xS is too rough on almost all the games I've tried. Especially when combined with 8x AF.
True, and perhaps I should have stressed that my opinions are just that. Playable to me is to be able to play the game without it really annoying me. On a scale of 1 to 10 I suppose that I'd say "playable" to me is around a "6.5". Again though, everyone is different and I tried to stress that my viewpoints were not meant to imply that they would be agreed upon by everyone.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!
Old 08-03-03, 09:05 PM   #30
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by surfhurleydude
No pal, I noticed that there were 2 asbestos botmatches, 1 absbestos flyby, and 1 antalus flyby.
You're exactly right surfhurleydude. Thanks for catching this.

It was an honest copy/paste mistake on my part. I've corrected that and am currently in the process of re-running all the benchmarks for UT2003.
Old 08-03-03, 09:06 PM   #31
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean P.
Excellent review Clay...I especially liked the variety in terms of benchmarks used...

Overall, an excellent effort here man...nicely done...
Hey Sean, thanks!
Old 08-03-03, 09:20 PM   #32
Malfunction

Very Well Done Maxpower.

I was extremely happy to see *My love BF involved in the review. Draw back to BF is there is really no way to bench other than game play. The plus is the amazing image quality tesing that can be done. Be great to run a video of that MikeC if you are reading this .

Finally, reviews are begining to bench/compare with real games and a variety at that! I would really love it if you guys maintain this style of benchmarking/reviewing videocards. Hell, I would even toss in a 2D game just to make certain things were going on in 2D as well. Jagged Alliance 2 was a great one. 640x480 only res will force that AA/AF to be used . Even Starcraft "Brood Wars" is another goodie 2D game.

Like I said, very well done my friend... very well done.

Peace,

Last edited by Malfunction; 08-03-03 at 09:25 PM.
Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-03, 09:31 PM   #33
Clay

Thanks Malfunction!

I may be breaking forum etiquette by responding with basically "thanks" but I want those that take time to provide feedback (both positive and negative) to know that I do appreciate you doing so.
Old 08-03-03, 09:35 PM   #34
StealthHawk

Very nice review Almost as thorough as MikeC's reviews
Old 08-03-03, 09:50 PM   #35
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Very nice review Almost as thorough as MikeC's reviews
Thanks StealthHawk! This is the largest number of games that I've included in a review so that kind of caused me to gloss over certain things that I'd normally delve deeper into (like MikeC).
Old 08-03-03, 09:55 PM   #36
Clay

Exclamation Review Updated w/ Corrected UT2003 Results

Quote:
Originally posted by surfhurleydude
Good review, but just thought you'd like to know that your UT2003 scores are completely ****ed up. 3 Asbestos and 1 Antalus.
FYI, I finished re-running all of the benchmarks and also found a copy/paste error that I'd made. You can check out the review for further explanation.

Thanks again surfhurleydude for bringing this to my attention.