Go Back   nV News Forums > General Forums > Archived News Items

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-07-10, 04:16 PM   #1
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Post Front Page - NVIDIA SLI + Sandy Bridge/P67 Press Announcement

Today NVIDIA announced that their partnerships with Intel as well as Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and EVGA will soon bear fruit - Sandy Bridge/P67/SLI fruit. Interstingly enough, AMD was part of the announcement as well; in this little tidbit:

"With today’s announcement, NVIDIA SLI technology is now available for all consumer-based desktop and mobile PC platforms, including the Intel Core i7, Core i5, Core i3, Core 2 Quad and Core 2 Duo processors, as well as those based on the AMD Phenom II CPU."

I had thought that the AMD SLI products were EOL, thereby eliminating them from any mention in press announcements. Maybe there is a new SLI chipset on the way for AMD users? Time will tell, but it's certain that the bul of this announcement was regarding teh upcoming pairing of NVIDIA SLI and Intel's Sandy Bridge/P67 technologies, which will find its way into many a high-end PC in 2011.

I have to wonder if Lucid/Hydra has anything up its respective sleeve as far as an announcement around this time of the year.

The statement:

Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

NVIDIA SLI Technology and Intel Sandy Bridge Form the Ultimate Gaming PC

Intel, ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI and EVGA to offer Sandy Bridge/P67 Motherboards with Full Support for NVIDIA SLI Multi-GPU Technology

SANTA CLARA, Calif.—Dec. 7, 2010— NVIDIA today announced that NVIDIA® SLI® technology has been licensed by the world’s leading motherboard manufacturers – including Intel, ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI and EVGA – for use on their Intel P67 Express Chipset-based motherboards designed for the upcoming Intel® Sandy Bridge processors.

As a result, customers who purchase a SLI-certified P67-based motherboard and a Sandy Bridge processor can equip their PCs with a single or a dual combination of NVIDIA GeForce® GPUs, including the recently released GeForce GTX 580 GPU and GTX 570, the world’s fastest DX11 GPUs. 3-way SLI is also available on supported[i] platforms.

“The combined processing prowess of Sandy Bridge and NVIDIA SLI technology will provide consumers with the building blocks for the ultimate gaming PC platform,” said Joel Christensen, General Manager of Intel Client Board Division at Intel Corporation. “Both NVIDIA and Intel continue to share a combined passion for furthering the PC as the definitive platform for gaming, and this combination will surely be attractive to anyone building or purchasing a brand new PC in 2011.”

With today’s announcement, NVIDIA SLI technology is now available for all consumer-based desktop and mobile PC platforms, including the Intel Core i7, Core i5, Core i3, Core 2 Quad and Core 2 Duo processors, as well as those based on the AMD Phenom II CPU.

NVIDIA DX11 GPUs are designed to deliver the world’s fastest performance for DX11 games, and are the only consumer GPUs to feature multiple tessellation engines for advanced graphics rendering capabilities. With a certified NVIDIA SLI motherboard, gamers have the option to add a second GeForce GPU to their PC, which can result in up to 2x the overall graphics performance.

NVIDIA GeForce GPUs also provide gamers with additional features not found on any other discrete graphics solutions, including NVIDIA PhysX® technology for deeper gaming immersion, as well as support for NVIDIA 3D Vision™ technology, delivering eye-popping stereoscopic 3D on a single display or spanning across three screens for an immersive gaming environment.

“ASUS is excited to bring NVIDIA SLI technology to our latest P67 based motherboards for Sandy Bridge CPUs,” said Joe Hsieh, Vice President of ASUSTeK Computer Inc. “SLI is the leading multi-GPU technology and is demanded by our enthusiast customers.”

For more information on NVIDIA SLI technology, please visit: http://bit.ly/grvFP8

Note to editors: to download images of new P67/Sandy Bridge motherboards from companies listed in this press release, please visit: http://bit.ly/gtIlJZ

Partner Quotes

“With the latest generation of EVGA graphics cards, NVIDIA has made further improvements to SLI technology to even better utilize the GPUs and achieve nearly double the performance,” said Bob Klase, VP of Sales at EVGA. “Now with the EVGA P67 SLI motherboard, the latest generation of Intel CPUs can take advantage of this must-have technology.”

“SLI has become required equipment for any serious gaming platform since it was introduced in 2004,” said Kelt Reeves, President of Falcon Northwest. “The potent pairing of Sandy Bridge CPUs and SLI will be the dominant recipe for designing high-end enthusiast PCs from this point forward.”

“Gamers looking for the best bang for the buck will naturally gravitate towards Sandy Bridge and SLI platforms,” said Richard Chen, VP of Product Center of GIGABYTE. “This combination will provide enthusiasts with the best gaming platforms for 2011.”

“We are excited to offer SLI on our latest Intel platform motherboards,” said Scott Yang, Vice President, Motherboard Sales Dept. at MSI. “Our customers demand the best and NVIDIA GeForce GPUs running in SLI configuration on Sandy Bridge platforms will certainly deliver the goods.”

Tags / Keywords:

DirectX 11, DX11, PC gaming, Sandy Bridge, P67, NVIDIA, GeForce, GF110, GF100, Fermi, PhysX, SLI, CUDA, 3D Vision

About NVIDIA

NVIDIA (NASDAQ:NVDA) awakened the world to the power of computer graphics when it invented the GPU in 1999. Since then, it has consistently set new standards in visual computing with breathtaking, interactive graphics available on devices ranging from tablets and portable media players to notebooks and workstations. NVIDIA's expertise in programmable GPUs has led to breakthroughs in parallel processing which make supercomputing inexpensive and widely accessible. The Company holds more than 1,600 patents worldwide, including ones covering designs and insights that are essential to modern computing. For more information, see www.nvidia.com.

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-10, 04:49 PM   #2
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default Re: Front Page - NVIDIA SLI + Sandy Bridge/P67 Press Announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Sandy Bridge is not the high-end platform
d'oh. brain fart.

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-10, 09:14 PM   #3
Lyme

It makes it sound as though either
a) nvidia has licenced out their sli tech to both AMD and Intel for use.
or
b) nvidia has licenced out their sli tech to motherboard manufacturers for use.

It seems to be northbridge/cpu based support.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 12:28 AM   #4
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Nice!

I was hoping it would end up with Intel and AMD being able to support SLI directly.

Now if we can only see what bulldozer can do

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 09:39 PM   #5
batterbrain101
"TAZ LIKE!"

My Asus M4N98TD-EVO is "built for Phenom II" according to the literature, 980a nforce, maybe that's what they are referring to when they mention "those based on the AMD Phenom II CPU" as the nforce 600, 700 and 900 based mbs are still being sold, with Phenom II X6 support. Just a thought.

My rig:
Asus Maximus VI Hero
Intel i7 4770K@ 4.2 GHz
16GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 2400 Ram
Corsair 750HX "Silver Certified" PSU
Corsair H70 Hydro CPU Cooler
2x PNY GTX 770 OC2 4GB in SLI
180 GB Intel 520 SSD
2 TB Barracuda HD, 2 TB WD Caviar Green
Logitech G-510 Keyboard
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
3 Samsung 24" LED SyncMaster Monitors

batterbrain101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 08:33 AM   #6
batterbrain101
"TAZ LIKE!"

Quote:
I agree. They still have support for the current AMD platform.

This is typical marketing bla-bla. A press release regarding SLI-support for Intel's new low-end/midrange platform mentioning other solutions as well, makes sense.

Sandy Bridge has nothing to do with a highend platform. It's not targeted like that.
The sandy bridges do look interesting though as far as OC headroom with K-edition processors and the new AVX instructions, 95W and 65W TDP is killer, just wonder about the cost vs. performance or rather what the performance is going to be like for a $300+ cpu and $250 to $300+ mb (for the K edition 4 core @ 3.4 Ghz). It looks like there is some serious crunching power with these new chips/platforms.

And of course they have to throw in all of the SLI solutions, waste of potential sales if they didn't get that in.

My rig:
Asus Maximus VI Hero
Intel i7 4770K@ 4.2 GHz
180 GB Intel 520 SSD
Logitech G-510 Keyboard

batterbrain101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 09:47 AM   #7
batterbrain101
"TAZ LIKE!"

Quote:
Sure Sandy Bridge looks very good, no doubt.
But it's not the real Gulftown successor. Unfortunately, we have to wait for the real deal longer than usual with this generation
That's actually what I was kind of thinking and why I brought up the price/performance increase. I agree with the longer wait, seems to be going around for some technologies while other fields are just the opposite. I'm usually half broke anyway so AMD is my solution. I may have to step up though if I want SLI with the next generation of cpu, ram, periphials, etc. Intel seems to be the only future option so I'm paying a little closer attention.

On the plus side, the LGA 1156 based systems should come down a little in price.

Little quote from Anandtech;
"This time it's the masses that get the upgrade first. While Nehalem launched with expensive motherboards and expensive processors, the next tock in Intel's architecture cadence is aimed right at the middle of the market. This time, the ultra high end users will have to wait - if you want affordable quad-core, if you want the successor to Lynnfield, Sandy Bridge is it."

Old I know but places which market segment they went for.

My rig:
Asus Maximus VI Hero
Intel i7 4770K@ 4.2 GHz
180 GB Intel 520 SSD
Logitech G-510 Keyboard