Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-05-10, 11:10 AM   #1
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Default Thinking about getting 3D Vision...

OK, so I've got $500 -- either I'll save it for a 28nm GPU, or I'm going to get 3D Vision (need a monitor, too). Is 3D Vision really worth it, or is it just a gimmick like those red/blue glasses for movies? Anybody with experience in this stuff want to let me know what the difference is over regular 2D gaming?

Thanks!
Intel Core i7 980X Extreme Edition @ 4.00GHz, 2.94GHz uncore| Corsair H60 | ASUS P6X58D-E | Zotac GTX 580 @ 872/1744/2145|Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB (Games/Steam)| Seagate 1.5TB (media/misc.) |Seagate 1 TB (OS/Main) | 24 GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1.5V DDR3-1333 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Sennheiser HD 202 Headset | Dual Gigabit Realtek LAN | Antec True Power Quattro 1200W | Acer G235Hbmbd 23" LCD Display | Logitech K320 Wireless Keyboard | Logitech Performance MX Mouse
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 12:33 PM   #2
grey_1

Default Re: Thinking about getting 3D Vision...

I'll be posting impressions soon.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=157700

anandtech's review on the system I'm getting is linked in there. The kit shipped today, so hopefully I'll have it before my current monitor dies.
Old 12-06-10, 12:43 AM   #3
Muppet

I'm a bit biased when it comes to 3D gaming. For me personally it made a huge difference. In fact I haven't been that much blown away since the first time I fired up GLQuake on my new Voodoo based video card. For me 3D is the best thing to happen to gaming for ages. You just feel so immersed in the game. It really does feel like you are part of the gaming world around you.

But like all things, some people aren't as impressed as I am. If you can, I would recommend you go and check it out. Then you can make up your own mind.

By the way the 3D effect is nothing like the old Blue/Red glasses. Even movies like Avatar have nothing on what Nvidia has produced with 3D vision. The 3D effect can be increased or decreased. You can have as much depth and popout as you can handle.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 05:25 AM   #4
carappliancebil

MRV-922 1600-Watt 2-Channel Car Power Amplifier (SZC2433)
"Description:
Highlights

* Take your car audio to a higher performance level.The MRV Series amplifiers features the high power you expect. With fast and easy audio system setup, this amplifier is compatible with almost any speaker system.

Features

* 4 x 400w / 2 x 800w
* Bridgeable high power amplifier
* Mos-fet switching supply
* Built in low-/ high pass x-over
* RCA line out
* Thermal-/speaker short circuit protection

Specifications

* MAX Power Output: 800W x 2channel
* Size: 340*250*55MM
"
carappliancebil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 05:54 AM   #5
Rollo

3d Vision is the only thing you can do for your computer to raise your level of immersion in games significantly.

There are a lot of games coming out now optimized for 3d Vision as well, NVIDIA's doing a nice job working with developers enhance the experience.

One of the things I like about it is replaying old favorite games and seeing them in true 3d.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 07:21 AM   #6
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Well this 3D isnt anything new, the only thing new here is the LCD monitors that support 120Hz. I had my first 3d glasses back in 1998/99, and was supported only for Nvidia cards, though Nvidia had nothing to do with this tech including drivers. So have things changed now Nvidia has decided to do something with this tech? I havent had the chance to see 3D vision, but in the day when I had my 3d glasses, it really only added depth to games, which I loved, and my games became darker because of the shutter lens tech. My adivice would be to try 3d vision for yourself first, before buying anything, I myself am interested in seeing how 3d vision will pull off 3d films, as I prefer to build HTPCs, I would love my next HTPC to be 3D ready for games and films/TV if possible.
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 07:50 AM   #7
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
I'm a bit biased when it comes to 3D gaming. For me personally it made a huge difference. In fact I haven't been that much blown away since the first time I fired up GLQuake on my new Voodoo based video card. For me 3D is the best thing to happen to gaming for ages. You just feel so immersed in the game. It really does feel like you are part of the gaming world around you.

But like all things, some people aren't as impressed as I am. If you can, I would recommend you go and check it out. Then you can make up your own mind.

By the way the 3D effect is nothing like the old Blue/Red glasses. Even movies like Avatar have nothing on what Nvidia has produced with 3D vision. The 3D effect can be increased or decreased. You can have as much depth and popout as you can handle.
See the bolded. For me personally, the 120hz is something I will no longer do without, love it.

WRT the 3d experience, so far Batman AA, Metro 2033 and L4D are the only games I've tried with it, with the 3d set to about 50% now. I have to say I am truly blown away by this tech.

The only issue I have so far is that I can't change anything to alleviate flicker in my peripheral vision or 3d disables itself. My keyboard is backlit, and as I game with the lights off, I can see it in the bottom of my vision field. Keeping the eyes raised slightly is all I can do.

Batman AA also suffers massive slowdowns to single digit fps, but only during the scarecrow mini-games. Other than that it's just fine. I haven't had time to really tweak the in-game settings to see what exactly is causing that.

So far though I highly recommend it. I also like how the drivers pop up a message for each game you fire up telling you how the game is rated for 3d along with tips for what settings to disable or enable for the best experience.

from me all the way.
Old 12-15-10, 01:36 AM   #8
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

I saw Street Fighter and some COD in 3D....was blown away!!! Although there were some compatibility problems with street fighter menu screens but during gameplay..WOW!!!
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote