Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-21-10, 12:19 PM   #1
tommaazz

Default connecting comp on receiver

Hi!
I have a radeon hd 6850 connected through hdmi to my receiver. I would like to know if anyone know how to setup a computer so that the receiver will do decoding and not the computer. Any help would be appreciated.
tommaazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-10, 01:58 PM   #2
turdhat

Default Re: connecting comp on receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaazz View Post
Hi!
I have a radeon hd 6850 connected through hdmi to my receiver. I would like to know if anyone know how to setup a computer so that the receiver will do decoding and not the computer. Any help would be appreciated.
I have this type of setup with a 480gtx. Just make sure that in control panel/sounds that it is set as the default playback device. Disable any other sound cards via device manager or bios if it is on board. It has to be enabled in the drivers for nvidia. I cant say for ati. Everything should just work once you do this. Games should be in surround and depending on your receiver you should see mode switching on the receiver every time you play music or games. Mine says multichannel pcm when playing games.

For music I would use foobar and look in to the wasapi plugin. This will allow fubar to communicate directly with your receiver over hdmi and bypass all internal windows sound mixing etc. It has a learning curve but if you have good audio gear you would be missing out not using it for music.

You are about to hear why mp3's suck. My old audio gear was run of the mill and they sounded fine. I got my hands on some cash and spent A LOT of money on my sound gear speakers and all and as a result had to re-encode all of the music I own to flac because mp3s sound like crap. With good gear and good speakers you will hear it big time. Sloshy treble, no dynamics etc. My mp3's were all encoded at 320 too.

You really should look in to getting some surround music. Dvd-audio had a ton of really good artist and if you know where to look you can find a lot of music in multichannel surround. Depends on your taste. Once you hear Hotel California in 5.1 at 96khz/24 bit there is no going back. They have it on amazon but it is mega expensive now. I bought it for 20 bucks I think.

Once you get hooked up pm me about surround music if you want.
Gigabyte 580 @945/2232
4 Gigs Ripjaw @ 1600
Antec (a good one) 650w
A Partridge in a pear tree.
turdhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-10, 02:44 PM   #3
lduguay
Un-Ripped

The 6850 supports multi-channel audio pass-through for Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio over HDMI. I use a EVGA GTS 450 and my Yamaha RXA-1000 receiver does all the decoding including DTS MA and Dolby TrueHD. Works flawlessly. I only had to set the Nvidia driver to Audio over HDMI.
I guess there is a similar procedure for your card

Quote:
UVD 3 now includes Multi-Stream Transport decoding for Blu-ray, which includes 3D, as well as hardware acceleration for DiVX encoded files. ATI HD Audio is unchanged, offering high bitrate multi-channel audio pass-through for Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio, required for protected audio path playback of Blu-ray audio via your receiver. The audio output can be directed through either the HDMI or DisplayPort outputs, but not both at the same time. Using these audio configurations will require a supported video playback application like Cyberlink PowerDVD 10, and for the audio LPCM output to be set inside the application. Lacking the necessary Home Theater setup to fully test 3D Blu-rays and bit-streaming audio we have been unable to verify correct operation.
Source

Evga X58|I7 965 3.8GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|Evga GTX 480 SC|2 x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID 0|Intel 520 - 240 GB|WD Black Caviar 1TB|6GB Corsair XMS3 1600C8 |Corsair 1000W PSU|Antec Twelve-Hundred|DELL U3011|Logitech G500|Logitech G19
lduguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-10, 03:26 PM   #4
tommaazz

Hi and thanks for replys. I have all hoked up and it all works but...i would like when playing a game that the receiver would do decoding (now it says pcm 5.1) is that possible? I know how to set it all up when watching movies so that the receiver would do decoding but i dont know for games. And i have a marantz 5004 and with the blurays and hd sound i must set it so that the computer will do decoding or i cant use audyssey with it (it is the limitation of last years marantz receivers) if receiver does hd decoding...but i am not sure if the sound send to
my receiver is hd at all as it only says pcm 5.1 but when receiver does it says dd hd master audio or dts hd...but no audyssey. And i have another minor problem...i can hear when lets say in game i change resolution in the center channel it pops (not very loud but audible and only in center channel) what could that be...a bad hdmi cable? My gear is marantz sr 5004 and monitor audio bx speakers and mirage s12 sub. When i had dvd connected to my receiver i have never heard any pops so that is very odd.
I like a song hotel california too but i have never heard it in 5.1 96k i would say it must sound awesome and specially the woofer as the drums are freaking awesome in that song . I only have metallica in dts 5.1 the concert in France i think that was a few years ago if i remember correctly and it sounds good too.
And another thing is it ok that my signal send from computer to receiver is set @ 24 bits 96k or i should set it @ 16 bits 44k as it is by default?
tommaazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 09:27 PM   #5
turdhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaazz View Post
Hi and thanks for replys. I have all hoked up and it all works but...i would like when playing a game that the receiver would do decoding (now it says pcm 5.1) is that possible? I know how to set it all up when watching movies so that the receiver would do decoding but i dont know for games. And i have a marantz 5004 and with the blurays and hd sound i must set it so that the computer will do decoding or i cant use audyssey with it (it is the limitation of last years marantz receivers) if receiver does hd decoding...but i am not sure if the sound send to
my receiver is hd at all as it only says pcm 5.1 but when receiver does it says dd hd master audio or dts hd...but no audyssey. And i have another minor problem...i can hear when lets say in game i change resolution in the center channel it pops (not very loud but audible and only in center channel) what could that be...a bad hdmi cable? My gear is marantz sr 5004 and monitor audio bx speakers and mirage s12 sub. When i had dvd connected to my receiver i have never heard any pops so that is very odd.
I like a song hotel california too but i have never heard it in 5.1 96k i would say it must sound awesome and specially the woofer as the drums are freaking awesome in that song . I only have metallica in dts 5.1 the concert in France i think that was a few years ago if i remember correctly and it sounds good too.
And another thing is it ok that my signal send from computer to receiver is set @ 24 bits 96k or i should set it @ 16 bits 44k as it is by default?
If the receiver is saying pcm 5.1 in games you are good to go and the receiver is doing all the work. Pcm means zero compression. You are hearing the sounds in their best possible form. I leave windows settings at 24 bit 48000. The music player I used switches that depending on the source. IF you are not using wasapi look in to it now. Foobar is a great player with the wasapi plugin. Then the music will switch your receiver in to what ever mode the source is encoded in if you set it up that way. Let movies do what ever they want (always dts over dolby digital if both are present).
Gigabyte 580 @945/2232
4 Gigs Ripjaw @ 1600
Antec (a good one) 650w
A Partridge in a pear tree.
turdhat is offline   Reply With Quote