Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-25-10, 12:16 AM   #1
H0urg1ass

Default MSI Hawk GTX 460 SLI, nvlddmkm error

Hello everyone,

About four days ago I was playing an MMO and out of nowhere my mouse froze up. Every time I moved my mouse even a fraction of an inch, my computer would freeze for about 5-10 seconds and then recover until I moved my mouse again. As long as I don't touch my mouse, then whatever game I'm playing is controllable through the keyboard or hotkeys.

I ran a driver cleaner to clean out the Nvidia drivers, reinstalled them, reinstalled Setpoint, updated every driver that ran anything on my computer, checked that my BIOS was current, and even switched mice thinking that maybe the mouse had just gone bad. Nada. My mouse will cause freezes anywhere from five minutes to five hours into any game I play.

So then I started taking a look at the windows system logs every time it happened and I noticed that at the exact time this starts happening, and every single time without fail I get the following error:

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

I'm at a complete loss as to what is causing this. The error leads me to believe it is a graphics driver issue, but the fact that the games are still playable and only my mouse starts to malfunction leads me to believe the error is somewhere else. Also, it's very intermittent. One day, I can play a game for 5 hours before it locks up and the next day I will get lock ups every 10 minutes for an hour.

My system specs are as follows:

Asus Rampage III formula Motherboard
Core i7-950 CPU w/ Coolermaster Hyper212+ CPU fan
6GB Corsair Dominator RAM
2x MSI Hawk GTX 460's in SLI
120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD w/ OS and all games running on it
2x WD Caviar Black 6GB/s 1TB hard drives in RAID 0
Corsair 1200W Modular PSU
HAF 932 Full tower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Saitek R.A.T. 7 Cyborg mouse (Was using a Logitech G9x when issue surfaced, also both are wired mice, so no conflicts the router signal)
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Netgear WNDR3300 Dual Band Router /w DD-WRT Flash (router was constantly crashing last month so I did a 30/30/30 reset and flashed it with a third party firmware... and now no router crashes but my system has started crashing.)

If anyone else has seen a problem like this and has a fix for it, then I would greatly appreciate any insight you can give me on this matter.
H0urg1ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 11:57 AM   #2
H0urg1ass

Default Re: MSI Hawk GTX 460 SLI, nvlddmkm error

No ideas on this, huh?

I can only assume that this is an Nvidia driver issue. I guess as a last resort I could revert back to an older driver and see if that fixes things.
Old 01-01-11, 02:04 PM   #3
H0urg1ass

Default Re: MSI Hawk GTX 460 SLI, nvlddmkm error

Just so no one thinks that I'm crazy, I found the culprit to this issue: I had an external USB Seagate 1TB HDD plugged into one of my USB 3.0 ports on the Mobo.

As soon as I unplugged this and took it off of the computer, the issue stopped.

I couldn't figure out why this would generate a graphics driver error until I started googling and found THIS THREAD. There are hundreds of people having the exact same issue I was and in almost every case, changing USB power settings, using a USB to PS2 adapter, or getting rid of unnecessary USB devices worked for them.