Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-01-03, 05:49 PM   #1
AshG
RootzWiki Minion

Send a message via ICQ to AshG Send a message via AIM to AshG Send a message via MSN to AshG Send a message via Yahoo to AshG
Default Politikrap

I have a suggestion, since I know vB supports it...

The political threadcrapping in OF is driving me crazy. Just about everything gets turned into a political pissing contest, regardless of what the thread was even about. While there are some threads that you know going into are political (I avoid those), seeing vamp's romp about calling out teh 1337 ROM hax0rs be hijacked and turned into a debate over the free world's contributions is, well, tiring.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could recommend the use of the Split and Merge functions to clean up the politikrap that's soaking the fun out of OF? I'm almost afraid to go in there anymore. It wouldn't be that hard to strip out the random acts of jingoism and merge them into a thread called "Political Debate" or something similar.

Just trying to preserve the fun for everyone...
Old 08-01-03, 06:49 PM   #2
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

I don't want to sound like an ass Ash (athough it's going to come out that way), but no one here cares anymore...just don't bother going there. And you can't have immature ppl as mods, it just doesn't work...

I've stopped replying to those threads alltogether now...

EDIT...removed flame...
Old 08-01-03, 09:06 PM   #3
StealthHawk

Bah, every post turns into a political pissing match in OF.
Old 08-01-03, 09:16 PM   #4
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Bah, every post turns into a political pissing match in OF.
But unlike the rest of us formers, you actually have the power to do something about it. Acknowledgement without action is just as good as ignoring the problem.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-03, 10:21 PM   #5
The Baron

And if I actively patrolled the OF, removing those threads/posts that are the same old political crap we read every day, I would be called a Nazi.
Old 08-01-03, 10:28 PM   #6
AshG
RootzWiki Minion

Send a message via ICQ to AshG Send a message via AIM to AshG Send a message via MSN to AshG Send a message via Yahoo to AshG

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
And if I actively patrolled the OF, removing those threads/posts that are the same old political crap we read every day, I would be called a Nazi.
I've been there. I have the battle scars. I know what it takes. If they don't like it, there's a thousand other forums they can go to. The point is - you're a Peacekeeper. You've got to follow in the footsteps of Beefster, Eesaposabeafiahcrakah, JuiceZ...

I've cleaned out far worse - I had the nearly singular pleasure of dealing with nam^ng's final days. It's doable. And you'll be all the more respected for it in the end by the people that want to see OF turn back into OF.

Make this Peacekeeper alumnus proud - you know what you have to do.

Last edited by AshG; 08-01-03 at 11:53 PM.
AshG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-03, 11:40 PM   #7
saturnotaku

Quote:
Originally posted by AshG
Make this Peacekeeper alumnus proud - you know what you have to do.
Same here. If they give 'ya hell, that's too bad for them. If you (Baron) go this route, I'll have your back 100%.
Old 08-02-03, 12:55 AM   #8
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
But unlike the rest of us formers, you actually have the power to do something about it. Acknowledgement without action is just as good as ignoring the problem.
The problem being that poltical pissmatches may be unslightly, but unless the flames start rolling in, it's not breaking the forum rules. There is nothing inherently wrong with several people arguing back and forth with each other...unless they are thread crapping or something. As Vamp's post was mentioned in this thread, I would expect him to be able to take care of himself if the thought his thread was taking a wrong direction.

I haven't seen a post from OF reported in a long time. And I'm sure as hell not going to read through every post in each thread there to see if that is the case. PsychoSy and Vamp participate a lot in OF, I would expect that they would stop egregrious behavior.

If you are implying that you think I should have to read through every post in every thread on these forums to find and quell rowdy members, I think that is very unfair. I already do that for several other forums.

If there are any specific threads you want me to take a look at, you can always PM me or use the "Report this post to a moderator" link in the bottom right hand corner of each post, in which case all moderators will be made aware.

Old 08-02-03, 02:57 AM   #9
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

The political discussions do get heated at times but thats what you get when you have two people with completly different views. I always watch the threads to make sure that a bit of friendly ribbing never goes too far. We are all friends in these threads but we just enjoy our debates too much

Quote:
And you can't have immature ppl as mods, it just doesn't work...
Then leave if you have a problem, many people are quite happy with how we moderate and how the boards are. Political discussions are bound to happen, pssst there was a war not too long ago

Edit: As for the hijacking I do try my best to keep that minimal. Any hijacking from now on will be removed when I see it, and there is still plenty of non political stuff in there to read.
Old 08-02-03, 07:24 AM   #10
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

You have to allow some debate to take place, and while i agree the forum does have a few members who's argument methods leave a little to be desired, i don't think the debates are at fault.

I'm aware the threads are very closley watched and, I, personally watch them quite close out of interest. Its very rare things get un civil, humour is productive if used in context and later explained if its misunderstood.

Classic example is when me and 2fast4u lock horns.. check old threads, you see any anger towards each other? No!! Its true of most people here.

The fact that most threads are becoming polotical shows that a lot of the board wants to talk about it. It does not stop other threads, and i truley believe that threads aren't allowed to go out of hand.

The name of an old shakespeare play comes to mind.. "Much ado about nothing"
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-03, 07:37 AM   #11
2fast4u
Resurrected User

Send a message via ICQ to 2fast4u Send a message via AIM to 2fast4u Send a message via MSN to 2fast4u Send a message via Yahoo to 2fast4u

Quote:
Originally posted by sytaylor

Classic example is when me and 2fast4u lock horns.. check old threads, you see any anger towards each other? No!! Its true of most people here.
exactly. there is a line between politics and the rest. you can get heated up about a topic and still be friends.
Old 08-02-03, 08:30 AM   #12
saturnotaku

Nobody has said debate should be outlawed. We're saying that it seems that OF has become nothing but political "debate" rehashing the same issues over and over and over and over again. And this whole liberal/conservative bashing is too much. Let people have their views, respect them, get a life and move on.