Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-02-03, 12:59 AM   #1
FredGSanford

Default Albatron Gf-FX 5900PV, System reboots when power cable connected...

HELP!!!!!!!!!!???????

Just recieved my Albatron Geforce FX 5900PV today and when I went to put it in my system does not want to fully powerr up when the power cable is connected to the card...

Now my PS is said to be 400W but after looking up the specs I can see that its clearly not a real 400W but max's out at 370W (if it really even dows that).

http://www.wintech-corp.com.tw/win400PS2.asp

http://www.wintech-corp.com.tw/download/400PS-SPC.pdf

When I remove the power cable the system will boot just fine so I'm guessing this is a power supply issue? Anyone else know what's going on? Please drop me a message before I make an expensive guess buy on a $100 PS...

------------------
System Specs
------------------
P4 2.4Gighz
Asus Black Pearl Motherboard
1Gig@333Mhz DDR Ram
Santa Cruz Sound Card
CD-r and DvD-r Drives
2 Hard Drives
4 Case Fans
1 Bay Plate Fan
Floppy Drive (Duh )
WinXP Pro
FredGSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-03, 08:18 AM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Well, I can't even connect to the web site you listed. In my mind that explains a lot about the potential quality of this company's products. I have a 500W PSU connected to my system and have had no such issues with any video card connected connected to it (Radeon 9500, 9800, FX5800U, FX5900). You can snag a 350W or 400W Antec PSU for less than $100.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-03, 08:51 AM   #3
FredGSanford

I'm definitely picking up a new antec Power Supply... Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong before I go out and kill some more cash

I always had my doubts about this PS I bought... I originally had an Antec which came with my antec case but, me being the fool I am I gave it to my cousin when he needed one badly and I went out and bought another one which I thought was a real 400w PS... There really isn't much written on the PS so I really don't have much to go on as far as specs.. Though I always had my doubts that the PS was any good much less a 400W considering the price I paid for it

I'm off to go pick one up ether the 430 TruePower or the 480 TruePower... Which ever is in stock and at a better $ for whichever.
Old 08-02-03, 09:07 AM   #4
saturnotaku

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the PSU that's in your machine now? If you paid less than $50, odds are it's a POS unit. The only exception to good, inexpensive power supplies I've found is the Leadman one I have in my system. 500W for $60. This PSU has served me faithfully for about 2 years now.

Edit: Once you get the card working, please leave me feedback on ebay. Thanks!
Old 08-02-03, 06:43 PM   #5
FredGSanford

I went out today And picked up an Antec TruePower 550w PSU and I'm still having the same problem...

When the power cord is not connected (directly or through the supplied splitter cable) my system boots up... When I connect the power cable my system will not power up.

I then removed everything from my system accept for the 5900, the sound card, 1 CD-r Drive, and my Master Hard Drive and still the same results.

Am I supposed to set some option in my bios or is it some other thing thats going on?

I'm at a loss for why this is not working considdering that everything is connected just fine... This has to be the first time in about 10 Years I've had a problem with any part I've added to my system. Even the 9700 Pro went in without a hitch
Old 08-02-03, 07:30 PM   #6
Skuzzy
Bit Bumper

For what it is worth, you did what I (or most anyone would have done) in that situation. Bought a new PS.

Sounds like the card may have a short in the power plug causing this. RMA time maybe.
Skuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-03, 07:40 PM   #7
FredGSanford

The funny thing about all this is that 2 times I was able to get the card to boot into windows with the power cable connected. And then after a few minutes my system shuts down so I'm not really sure there's a short in the power connector. Other then that its been pretty much the same thing. I hope its not RMA time because according to someone I just talked with Albatron took nearly 2 months to send him a replacement on his geforce 4 card. And I just won the card in an auction from saturnotaku and he only had the card for about 1 or 2 weeks... Or at least that's according to the receipt he sent along with the card. I would rather just send it back to him for that matter but I'll wait till I can call Albatron tomorrow Morning to see what they say it might be.
Old 08-02-03, 08:22 PM   #8
saturnotaku

Question - did you plug the card directly into a molex connector from your power supply or did you use the splitter I included? I had the card hooked up using the splitter. If you didn't have the card hooked up that way, might I suggest you try that?

Old 08-02-03, 08:32 PM   #9
FredGSanford

I've tried it both ways
Old 08-02-03, 08:36 PM   #10
saturnotaku

Have you tried setting the card to AGP 4x? What's your AGP aperture size? And are you sure the card is seated all the way in the slot? If you can boot into safe mode, are you getting any error messages in your system log?
Old 08-02-03, 08:40 PM   #11
FredGSanford

Just tried something I didnt think of... Put the card in my other system that has the 9700 pro and it does the same thing... just starts to power on... Lights on the fans light up blue and then the system just powers off and then doesnt turn on again till I ether remove the card or the power cable and then try to power on again and the system turns on. That system has an AOpen 400w PSU. I'm really at a loss here... Going to return that Antec 550w Power Supply tomorrow as it's not the problem so no point in killing myself over this.
Old 08-02-03, 08:42 PM   #12
FredGSanford

Its set to 4x and I tried 64 and 128 Arp. Size. I can get into windows if I don't connect the power cable to the card otherwise all that happens is the system will not turn on.

Edit: Almost forgot, The card is seated in 100% without a single thing in its path...