Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-29-10, 06:48 PM   #13
Licaon

Default Re: Bug Report: Hard crash (freeze) with nVidia GTX 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvanor View Post
I am not experiencing X lockups but complete system freezes (or could this be the same? how can I tell?)
can you ssh in to the machine when frozen?
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-10, 04:46 AM   #14
bigwoof

fwiw, I am having similar problems with a GT430.

I get completely random lockups when using the binary drivers. these lockups hang the system completely (ssh is dead) and requires a hard power cycle.

memtest shows no errors after 26 hours of running (1st thing I checked).

My motherboard is an ASUS P7P55D-E LX. I've updated the bios to the latest version on the Asus website (one of the first things I tried). I thought it was the VT-D setting in the bios. but disabling it does not help. I am not overclocking anything. I've tried various bios options (disable audio, change AHCI mode to IDE, disable ethernet, etc.) and none of them fix the crash.

My CPU is an i5-760 and I'm using 4Gx2 1333 RAM. There is also a PVR-150 ivtv card in my system (for mythtv).

I've tried xubuntu 10.10 (maverick), xubuntu 11.4 (natty), debian unstable, ubuntu 11.4 (natty) (a fresh install in every case) and all of them have the same problems. So I don't think it is a gentoo-specific problem.

my symptoms are quite similar to what you are experiencing. The hardware seems fine as it works perfectly without the nvidia drivers loaded and passes a fairly long memtest.

other than the random system crashes (requiring a reboot. ssh is dead as well), the binary drivers actually worked quite well (hdmi audio worked, vdpau was nice, could get 1920x1080 output etc.)

I don't have the nvidia logs as I have not installed the binary driver in this current fresh install (ubuntu natty) just to make sure that the binary driver was the cause of the lockups. so far, no crashes yet.

Raj
bigwoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-10, 08:55 AM   #15
bigwoof

as a followup, I am retesting the binary drivers, but with the power save mode turned off. lets see how that goes.

I'm using the AMD64 drivers and distros in all cases b.t.w.

Raj
Old 12-31-10, 05:54 PM   #16
Loafers

Hello,
I am experiencing the same issues that elvanor has, except the crashes are more prevalent.

I'm running it on:
Quote:
Linux arch 2.6.36-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 10 20:32:37 CET 2010 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
I'll try and post my bug log later if I can.
Loafers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 05:42 AM   #17
brucecadieux

I also am occasionally experiencing freezes and hard locks with an EVGA GTS 450

No rhyme or reason to it, I can go days on end with no problems and then out of the blue it will freeze/lock up.

I have tried getting a bug report, but the report never shows anything.

Nothing but a hard boot via the power button will restore a working system.
brucecadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 06:24 PM   #18
Jakob

I'm having similar problems with the Nvidia driver on my Ubuntu 10.10 install since a couple of days before christmas.

HP EliteBook 8440p
Ubuntu 10.10 (32 bit)
Nvidia 3100M
Intel I7
Nvidia driver: 260.19.06 and 260.19.29

The computer first ran Ubuntu 10.04 with the default Nvidia driver which was very stable.. I don't know wich version, but it was the default proprietary Nvidia driver sugested by Canonical. Then I did a new fresh install of Ubuntu 10.10 which was rock solid for about a month. But then all of a sudden it started to freeze randomly.

I'm regularely updating all packages, but I haven't found anything related to the Nvidia driver or the kernel around that time.

The freezes seem to be triggered by mouse movements and about 8 times of 10 they come when using a browser like Firefox och Chromium. At first I was using version 260.19.06 of the driver and the crashes came after 1-30 minutes of active usage. Letting the computer idle or suspend did not trigger any crashes.

After installing the 260.19.29 driver the system became much more stable with "only" two crashes during the last hours.

When the computer freeze, it's not possible to do anything but a hard shut down. It won't respond to any user actions. This has been the case in all crashes except the last one where I could still move the mouse pointer, but there was no response to any other form of user action.

In log files where NVRM entries are listed there were massive amounts of entries saying "NVRM: os_pci_init_handle: invalid context!". This messaged has not appeard after upgrading the driver.

There were also some entries saying "NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU while in atomic or interrupt context" and ""NVRM: os_raise_smp_barrier(), invalid context!". The latter message seemt to be related to the last crash in time.

I didn't have the ssh-server installed but until recently, so I could not go in behind the X server and have a look until the latest crash where I went in from another computer and generated a bug report bundle. The computer is in frozen state right now (writing this from another computer) and it will probably shut down properly when shutdown is initiated over ssh.

I have tried to fiddle around with various options in the grub menu without any success.

I'm dualbooting the computer with Win7 and the Windows install is very stable.

NOTE: The bug file report bundle became so large that I couldn't upload it to this forum, so I have cut out massive amounts of rows with the "invalid context" messages by doing this reverse grep:

grep -v -e "Dec 2[78].*os_.*invalid context" nvidia-bug-report.log > nvidia-bug-report.log.edited

Here is a short example of what the missing log entries look like:

Dec 27 13:22:43 hp8440p kernel: [ 4184.152461] NVRM: os_pci_init_handle: invalid context!
Dec 27 13:22:43 hp8440p kernel: [ 4184.152481] NVRM: os_pci_init_handle: invalid context!
Dec 27 13:22:43 hp8440p kernel: [ 4184.152482] NVRM: os_pci_init_handle: invalid context!
Dec 27 13:22:43 hp8440p kernel: [ 4184.152503] NVRM: os_pci_init_handle: invalid context!
Dec 27 13:22:43 hp8440p kernel: [ 4184.152504] NVRM: os_pci_init_handle: invalid context!
Dec 27 13:22:43 hp8440p kernel: [ 4184.152523] NVRM: os_pci_init_handle: invalid context!
Dec 27 13:22:43 hp8440p kernel: [ 4184.152524] NVRM: os_pci_init_handle: invalid context!
Dec 27 13:22:43 hp8440p kernel: [ 4184.152545] NVRM: os_pci_init_handle: invalid context!
Dec 27 13:22:43 hp8440p kernel: [ 4184.152546] NVRM: os_pci_init_handle: invalid context!
Dec 27 13:22:43 hp8440p kernel: [ 4184.152565] NVRM: os_pci_init_handle: invalid context!
Dec 27 13:22:43 hp8440p kernel: [ 4184.152566] NVRM: os_pci_init_handle: invalid context!
Dec 27 13:22:43 hp8440p kernel: [ 4184.152587] NVRM: os_pci_init_handle: invalid context!
Dec 27 13:22:43 hp8440p kernel: [ 4184.152588] NVRM: os_pci_init_handle: invalid context!
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.edited.gz (56.3 KB, 113 views)
Jakob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 03:17 PM   #19
Loafers

Bump.
Loafers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 04:12 AM   #20
Jakob

Yesterday I did a complete reinstall of Ubuntu. However, this time I did a 64-bit install. I emediately installed the latest Nvidia driver from the x-swat repository and then performed all the other updates. I also installed emacs, java, gimp and the Adobe 64-bit flash beta. Appart from that, it's a completely fresh system. The computer played nicely all day. But today it only lasted for about 10 minutes. However, this time I'm not sure weather I triggered the freeze by a mouse action or not.

Edit:
I should add that the computer was in suspended state over night and I haven't had a look at the log files yet since the ssh server is not installed and I can't sneak in from another computer.

Last edited by Jakob; 01-04-11 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Adding info

Old 01-05-11, 07:35 AM   #21
bigwoof

Okay, I found the cause of my crashes. It was the ivtv driver for my PVR150. Disabling the ivtv driver has removed all the lockups. eventually found the root cause kernel oops through a serial console debugger.

also explains why memtest and running without the nvidia drivers worked. in all those cases, ivtv was not running either.

Raj
Old 01-06-11, 12:56 AM   #22
jpi110
Gentoo User

Thumbs down Re: Bug Report: Hard crash (freeze) with nVidia GTX 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvanor View Post
I am not experiencing X lockups but complete system freezes (or could this be the same? how can I tell?)
Either use the nvidia-bug-report.sh shell script when you reboot your computer or do it via ssh while the system is still active.

As a comparative, I'm having the same problem and reported it in another thread.

nvidia driver version 260.19.29. 2 Nvidia GTX 295s in SLI mode (also happens with 2 Nvidia GTX 275s in SLI mode). I've tried various kernels from 2.6.34-gentoo-r1, 2.6.34-ck-r3, 2.6.36-gentoo-r5, and 2.6.36-ck-r5.

And to answer the obvious question with regards to optimization flags, I'm not one of the ricers, I use "-O2 -march=native -mtune=native -pipe" on the amd64 arch with 2 Opteron 2378s (2 quad cores). (And before you go "what are those march/mtune options", check the GCC man page, they use the optimizations that work on your current architecture and are not dangerous flags by any stretch of the imagination - which is why they're set to native.)

I'd say this became unstable for me in the last month or so, which puts the driver version somewhere after the 195 series up to current. 195.36.31 flickers for me (where it didn't before in August). And all the 256 and 260 versions have oddly become unstable regardless of the cards I use.

This, to me, points squarely at the drivers. Indeed, there is a hint of it in my Xorg.0.log with the X server reporting a problem in the video drivers, but nothing in the backtrace as the system goes into a spinlock and never finishes the trace. I'm in the process of re-emerging with the -g flag to see if it can narrow down, before it crashes, where the issue is within the driver.
jpi110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-11, 01:54 PM   #23
Jakob

Ok, I think I got mine working now... or at least no more crashes for almost two days and quite heavy use tonight with a lot of browsing through firefox (used to result in a freeze) and a few Java-apps running.

I ended up with my Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit install and the 260.19.29 driver from x-swat. What seems to have solved it on my machine was to add "noacpi" and "noapm" to Grub.

But I haven't tried to let it go into suspended mode yet. Last night I did shut it down properly.
Old 01-09-11, 07:58 AM   #24
Jakob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob View Post
Ok, I think I got mine working now... or at least no more crashes for almost two days and quite heavy use tonight with a lot of browsing through firefox (used to result in a freeze) and a few Java-apps running.

I ended up with my Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit install and the 260.19.29 driver from x-swat. What seems to have solved it on my machine was to add "noacpi" and "noapm" to Grub.

But I haven't tried to let it go into suspended mode yet. Last night I did shut it down properly.
Well... guess what? I've had several crashes the last two days!!!

Yesterday I had two freezez/crashes in Ubuntu. But my Win7 install also froze two times with the exact same behavour. This has never happened before!

In all cases I was either actively browsing the web or had left the computer on with a browser window open for a while. The mouse pointer froze and no response from any user interaction. The fan started spinning loud after a while.

I had some log entries related to the nvidia driver in Ubuntu just before it froze. In Windows, the event log is dead silent.

Now, this is getting worse and worse. Currently, I can't reboot the computer (in any OS) directly after crash/freeze. I have to wait and let it cool down for a while. So, I'm starting to suspect hardware failure! Windows used to be (believe it or not) very stable on this computer. I had no problems at all with Ubuntu until around Dec 20 when it suddenly started to freeze for no obvious reason.

Just before making this post I googled some on nVidia and harware failure and found that there seems like the nVidia GPUs have been very unreliable. What I've read it seems like they're overheating and eventually causing harware failure. It fits right in to my pattern. Can anybody confirm this?

Edit:
I'm sure it's harware failure now. Now when I try to boot efter letting it rest and cool down for a while it doesn't light up the display at all. I don't know if the GPU is broken and makes the entire computer crash or if there is some other problem? Even if there is no display I believe it should load Linux by default after waiting 10 seconds in the Grub menu. Well, it doesn't. It probably never loads the MBR at all!

Last edited by Jakob; 01-09-11 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Adding info