Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-30-11, 03:16 AM   #49
Civilus

Send a message via ICQ to Civilus
Default Re: Bug Report: Hard crash (freeze) with nVidia GTX 460

artem
I'll get dump when it's possible. OOPS/Panic message is unavaliable: it's not an oops/panic, it's hard lock, and when it occures screen goes black (stand by mode).

It seems that turning off power mizer helps, at least I get nothing in 48h.
Old 01-30-11, 03:58 AM   #50
brucecadieux

EVGA GTS 450 SuperClocked, I can go for days without a problem, last span was 3 days, then hard lock, can't do anything, it takes a hard shut down, I pulled the GTS 450 and replaced it with an older GTX 260 for the time being.

Have never experienced anything like this in 12 years of using Linux.

I tried getting all the bug reports and there is never anything. It is a strange situation.

I have many machines with nvidia graphics cards and have zero problems with all the others. The only one seems to be the 400 series card.

If this was just a tinker and toy machine I would leave it in and see if I could eventually get a report, but I never can and I need a reliable system to do my work with. So I just swapped out the card.
brucecadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 10:34 AM   #51
tinmrn

Hello guys,
I'm also having the (exact) same problem. I'm using a 450 GTS on 2.6.36-ARCH x86_64 i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz.

From what I've read in all the posts in this thread, the common theme seems to be 64-bit OS+drivers?

My system randomly locks up and can't use X or ssh into the machine. The time before last booting my mouse moved around very slowly and jittery. But the biggest problem is the lockups. For me they occur when I (not everytime):
- start firefox
- play a youtube
- run a console command that generates lots of output
- start minecraft (this one seems to be freezing it every single time now, and it also causes some of the in-game sprites to be spread all across the screen - also across other windows)

I consider myself a more advanced than novice linux user, so perhaps I'll try the kernel debug thing. Don't have a lot of time though.

What I'll also try when I get home is disabling all power management features I can find, as this has helped me with other weird lockup stuff (on a different machine - unrelated).

Hope we can tackle this one, as I am very ready to start enjoying this new system
tinmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 07:18 PM   #52
elvanor

Hi,

tinmrn: no, this seems to happen both on 32 and 64 bit systems (I run 32 bits for instance).

To all the others: can you all try turning off Composite or similar in Gnome (or Compiz) ? For me indeed I can confirm that turning off composite makes the system completely stable. About 12 days running 24/7 and no problems since I turned that off.

This seems to confirm what I've thought all the way, eg a driver problem. The next step would probably be to activate partially the Composite effects and find the one that triggers the problem (maybe transparency ?), but I am quite happy with my stable system so dont know if I would be willing to do this... I probably would if an nVidia engineer would try helping, but so far it's 0 response from nVidia (very disappointing).
elvanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 09:34 PM   #53
Loafers

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvanor View Post
Hi,

tinmrn: no, this seems to happen both on 32 and 64 bit systems (I run 32 bits for instance).

To all the others: can you all try turning off Composite or similar in Gnome (or Compiz) ? For me indeed I can confirm that turning off composite makes the system completely stable. About 12 days running 24/7 and no problems since I turned that off.

This seems to confirm what I've thought all the way, eg a driver problem. The next step would probably be to activate partially the Composite effects and find the one that triggers the problem (maybe transparency ?), but I am quite happy with my stable system so dont know if I would be willing to do this...
I never had compositing enabled and yet it still crashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvanor View Post
but so far it's 0 response from nVidia (very disappointing).
I'm not surprised. Confirming this nasty driver issue would probably hurt their sales/image.
Loafers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 02:24 AM   #54
Civilus

elvanor
For me problem is not in composite, it's in powermizer. If I add to modprobe.d/nvidia.conf NVreg_RegistryDwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x2222" everything becomes almost rock stable (easily 60h of usage), but I've loose PowerMizer and my card is always works at full speed, wich is not good.

Turning off composite helps, but it still hard locks sometimes when switching performance levels...
Old 02-05-11, 07:20 AM   #55
elvanor

Hmm, then maybe in my case it's the "pcie_aspm=off" option at boot *combined* with the disabling of composite that fixed the problem?
elvanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 02:20 PM   #56
Civilus

elvanor
Maybe you still can have hardlock, but with much less probability. Or maybe it was different problem.

I don't have this bug on GF 310M on my NB and everything was OK for me when I've got Core 2 Quad 6600, ASUS P5K, 4 GB of RAM with same GTX 470. It's started after I've upgraded to Sandy Bridge (ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, 8GB Ram, Core i7 2600k). With kernel 2.6.37 and stable drivers I just got black screen instead of X, it's gone only with upgrading to 270.18 + 2.6.38-rc1.

Old 02-24-11, 10:37 PM   #57
cookiecaper

I'm getting the exact same kind of locks on my system since upgrading to a GA-P67A-UD7, i7 2600K, and 16GB of RAM. This uses the Intel P67 chipset. I upgraded from an nForce 6 mobo, Core 2 Duo E6600, 4GB RAM where everything was stable.

I'm using Arch Linux x64, kernel 2.6.37.1 and nvidia driver 260.19.36. I have a GTX 285 -- *NOT* a 400/Fermi series card.

The locks are hard locks, and the machine will generally not respond to any input and I cannot ssh in. Occasionally the lights on my USB devices will also go off. My logs are blank on the matter, nothing unusual appears.

The locks seem to occur most often while triggering drawing operations or using VDPAU -- definitely video-related things. I do intensive video operations successfully with some frequency, including playing TF2 on WINE and sauerbraten, and these have yet to crash on me. The crashes generally occur in low usage scenarios, like playing a (Flash) YT video, playing video from mplayer with VDPAU (crashed twice now), or redrawing a browser window's contents (zooming the page). Locks have occurred a few times while the machine was idle.

The locks generally occur once within a 24-48 hour period, though occasionally (today, for instance), locks are within a few hours of each other. I have tweaked the settings in my BIOS several times, activating and deactivating different power-saving features, and this hasn't helped much. I am using the F7 BIOS, and this helped a little, but not a lot. As more crashes have occurred, I've been suspecting a possible video problem, as drawing operations seem to cause the bulk of the problems.

I've only used Windows for about twenty minutes since the upgrade at the beginning of Feb, but had no problems.

I use awesomewm 3.4.9 and cairo 1.10.2 with xcb enabled. I am not running any compositors or anything like that.

I have not tried any video-specific remedies yet, and will attach a bug report momentarily. Thereafter, I will first try to disable PowerMizer, then try a downgrade to 2.6.36, since most of the problems seem related to 2.6.37, and if that doesn't work, I will try to use nouveau for a while and see if I get issues with that. I may also try to force myself to use Windows for a day, but I doubt that will go over well.

It seems that newer chipsets may have a problem. Anyone have more info on their chipset or recency of stuff? Also, if this is a recent kernel issue in 36 or 37, most users are not using these kernels yet so the problems would not be widespread. Overall the problem seems to be a bad interaction between the hardware on newer mobos, kernels, and nvidia driver.
cookiecaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 10:46 PM   #58
cookiecaper

Here is my log.gz. While I see this includes lspci, I will paste my lspci output here so that search engines can index it and others with similar issues will be more likely to find this thread.

Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family HECI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b4)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b4)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev b4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b4)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev b4)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev b4)
00:1c.6 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 7 (rev b4)
00:1c.7 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 8 (rev b4)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation P67 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation NF200 PCIe 2.0 switch for mainboards (rev a3)
02:00.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation NF200 PCIe 2.0 switch for mainboards (rev a3)
02:02.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation NF200 PCIe 2.0 switch for mainboards (rev a3)
02:03.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation NF200 PCIe 2.0 switch for mainboards (rev a3)
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 285] (rev a1)
04:00.0 PCI bridge: PLX Technology, Inc. PEX8112 x1 Lane PCI Express-to-PCI Bridge (rev aa)
05:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio]
08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
09:00.0 PCI bridge: Integrated Technology Express, Inc. Device 8892 (rev 10)
0a:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
0a:03.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
0b:00.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 03)
0c:00.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 03)
0d:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
0e:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9128 PCIe SATA 6 Gb/s RAID controller (rev 11)
0f:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9128 PCIe SATA 6 Gb/s RAID controller (rev 11)
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (74.9 KB, 108 views)
Old 02-27-11, 03:25 AM   #59
cookiecaper

I tried nouveau and it helped somewhat, but I still had a lock after about 36 hours.

I tried pcie_aspm=off, and that also helped, but I had a lock again in the same time frame.

I suppose that I might have a hardware problem with this motherboard. More often than not, all the lights on my USB devices will go off at the same time the machine locks. A couple of my case fans are dead so I am curious if they are caused by inadequate ventilation, though I don't think they are.
Old 03-01-11, 01:19 PM   #60
N3o

In the last couple of days I've tried to see if my problem comes from my distro but it seems that I still have complete freezes with Fedora 14 using kernels from 2.6.33 to 2.6.35 or 2.6.36

So, now I'm back on Mandriva 2010.2 Free 64bit, KDE 4.5.5, kernel 2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb and the nvidia 195.36.24 driver.

I would gladly give a log but I can't get one because the whole damn thing freezes...
N3o is offline   Reply With Quote