Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-27-10, 12:12 PM   #1
rommelsv

Default Core i7-740QM Processor + GT 330M: Will work with CUDA && Linux?

Hi all,

Recently i bought a laptop ( intel core i5 + Integrated Graphics + a NVIDIA 435M ) with "Optimus" for development with CUDA under linux, sadly as most of you know, it wont work . For me, this laptop it is nothing more than a brick. By my fortune, i was able to sell it out and look for the appropriate for my needs.

There's this option, OEM: Dell, Vostro 3700 which has: Core i7-740QM Processor and a GeForce 330M: Two things make's me think there's still some hope on CUDA+linux 1) it is suposed core i7 does not have IGP 2) description on nvidia site tells that no Optimus exist on this device neither other strange thing.

So, anybody in this forum have this laptop or the same kind of hardware configuration working with CUDA under linux ?

I dont think ill going to be as lucky as i've was with the previous laptop. So please help me out with this question.

Regards,
rommelsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-10, 08:27 PM   #2
ledoc

Default Re: Core i7-740QM Processor + GT 330M: Will work with CUDA && Linux?

The i7-740QM doesn't have an IGP (still, check Intel's specs to be sure). At least my i7-720QM + Quadro FX880M works as advertised, no optimus crap.

The FX880M is based on the GF330M (GT216 core). Haven't tried CUDA on it, but it's supposed to work. Is there some simple cuda test application that I could run to verify it works? Not sure though that would be conclusive: quadro cards might be cuda-enabled, and geforce not?!
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 02:13 PM   #3
rommelsv

I dont actually know, i was about to learn the hole set of things related to CUDA. I think the SDK have some samples to review. That will be the easiest way. i think. In any case if the driver has beeen loaded into the X,i think the device has been detected correctly vy official driver and that will work ( developer driver ) .

Is that one running on your machine?

Regards,
rommelsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 08:26 AM   #4
Dragoran

Should be fine.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote