Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-10-11, 11:36 PM   #1
KasuCode
Wiley

Send a message via AIM to KasuCode
Default Got new speakers need a new reciver.

So I bought a set of 4 Polk Audio tower 60s some time ago. Ive had em hooked up to a logitech Z-5500 receiver which has actually sounded great for the time being. I do have an old Yamaha 5.1 receiver from like 5 years ago but would rather not dig it up.

I got rid of my dual 18's ( they needed to be turned up to loud before they sounded good )

I just got around to replacing them and Bought a Polk Audio PSW Series PSW505 12" Powered Subwoofer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tent-_-text-_-

Which matches my current Polk Audio Monitor 60
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Mon.../dp/B0002Z2416

And because I never got a good center channel because it wouldnt fit the way I wanted I just bought these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tent-_-text-_-

to use two as a center

I don't need anything special and I don't want to spend much because I have other things more important to get. But Id like to not spend more then 400 and really closer to 200.

It will only have my Computer/ps3/ and DVR for inputs. If I can bi-output support would be nice.

I was looking at the Onkyo HT-RC260, Sony STR-DH810, Onkyo TX-SR604, Pioneer VSX-1020-K

Whats the best value out right now?

Thanks

Check Out
~CrossWater~
KasuCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 10:16 AM   #2
mullet

Default Re: Got new speakers need a new reciver.

Onkyo HT-RC260 I like that one. What about the Onkyo TX-SR608? Either way there all good choices.
Old 01-12-11, 12:05 AM   #3
KasuCode
Wiley

yea im leaning more towards the Onkyo HT-RC260. its in my price range and has the features I want. Seems to get good reviews. I might end up going with that one. My new speakers should be here tomorrow Ill be sure to take some pictures

Check Out
~CrossWater~
Old 01-12-11, 10:21 AM   #4
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior

Send a message via MSN to Stoneyguy

I have the Onkyo TX-SR608. It's very affordable for the features and sounds really nice.
Stoneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 03:55 PM   #5
darkrider01
A little rough at first

Talking Re: Got new speakers need a new reciver.

I have an Onkyo TX-SR607 (basically the exact same as HT-RC260) and it has been an excellent receiver. I came to this receiver from a Pioneer VSX-1017-K. I believe the Onkyo to be easy to use, and overall a good receiver.The Onkyo was very easy to set up with the Audyssey system.

I do miss my Pioneer though. IMO, the Onkyo has a stronger surround effect than my Pioneer had, but the Pioneer seemed to have warmer tones and a lot more options for EQ. I'm no audiophile though (proven by my Bose surround speakers). As a direct comparison, I have always felt like my Onkyo was too simple. I'm constantly cycling through settings on my Onkyo (usually go through them all 3 or more times) to try and find a setting that seems to fit the source. I think there are only like 8 sound presets (of which 2 are stereo). I don't remember having to do that with the Pioneer that I had.

Also, the Onkyo runs way hotter than my Pioneer did. Apparently, Onkyo has since started installing fans into their receivers to alleviate the heat problems.

The OSD on the Onkyo is great. It's easy to navigate and allows all kinds of tweaks for video sources that you are upconverting. I was having an issue with my Wii being to dark, until I realized that I could up the brightness through the receiver. It doesn't work on HDMI sources, but it helped a lot for my Wii on component.

I would personally go with the Pioneer if I was making the choice you are currently faced with. If you want simple and easy though, the Onkyo is great.
School Bus - Intel i7 4770K * ASRock Z87 Extreme6/AC * EVGA GTX 590 * Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB 2400MHz DDR3* Alienware TactX Keyboard * RAZER Mamba * Pioneer DVR-212D * Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD * 10+TB Other Storage * Ultra X3 1000W PSU * Dell U2913WM * Beats by Dr. Dre headphones * Klipsch Promedia 2.1 * Cooler Master HAF XB * Cooler Master Hyper N520 * Windows 7 Ultimate
Mass Transit - Xeon E3-1275 V2 * G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 * EVGA GTX660 * Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD * Seagate Momentus XT 750GB * Dell 2001FP * Viewsonic VX2250 * Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 * Windows 7 Ultimate
RV - Alienware M18x * i7 2670QM * Dual 560 GTX * 1.25TB Storage * Windows 7 Ultimate
Van by the River - Panasonic PT-AX200U * Homebrew 9' x 5' screen * Pioneer VSX-1121-K * Bose Acoustimass 6 * Velodyne VX10 Subwoofer * PS3/Xbox/Xbox360/Wii/WiiU/DirecTV HR22
Packin HEAT
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 07:51 PM   #6
betterdan

I don't know if you have Directv but if you do I would steer away from Onkyo receivers unless they have fixed the problem in the latest ones. Directv has had audio dropout problems on the HD channels for over a year now and the Onkyo receivers make it worse by their slow switching.
I loved the Onkyo receiver I had before except for that annoying problem. The Yamaha I have now has made it much more bearable.
Old 01-12-11, 11:58 PM   #7
KasuCode
Wiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet View Post
Onkyo HT-RC260 I like that one. What about the Onkyo TX-SR608? Either way there all good choices.
That one looks pretty nice too. good deals for it right now but id have to wait a week or two before I can buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
I don't know if you have Directv but if you do I would steer away from Onkyo receivers unless they have fixed the problem in the latest ones. Directv has had audio dropout problems on the HD channels for over a year now and the Onkyo receivers make it worse by their slow switching.
I loved the Onkyo receiver I had before except for that annoying problem. The Yamaha I have now has made it much more bearable.
I use Verizon Fios. I hear about this problem allot with sony receivers so ive avoided looking at them.

I need to see if theres any issues with the Onkyo TX-SR608. I read lots of good reviews on it. Im kinda leaning towards it.

BTW My speakers came this morning. Took a few quick pictures. My new PSW505 and Monitor40 Series II both to use as a center channel.

Check Out
~CrossWater~
Old 01-12-11, 11:58 PM   #8
mullet

Onkyo TX-SR607 is what I have as well and I love it. I know you have had some awesome subs but to me that sub you just got is what I have and it's incredible.

Old 01-13-11, 06:22 AM   #9
betterdan

Nice speakers. One of these days I have to get me some more.
Old 01-13-11, 02:26 PM   #10
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior

Send a message via MSN to Stoneyguy

I have DirecTV and haven't had any problems with their HD channels and audio. I do have one local channel that starts to skip in audio. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the receiver as it's only that one local FOX channel. It's an easy temporary fix, I just have to change the channel and then change it back.

Amazon is currently selling the RC260 for less than 300 right now. That's a bargain.
Stoneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 04:03 PM   #11
betterdan

The problem with Directv and the audio dropouts isn't the fault of the audio receiver, it is in the signal. The problem just gets worse with some Onkyo receivers since it recovers from the audio drop slower than other receivers.

Some people don't seem to notice the drop outs while others do. DBS Talk forum had a huge thread discussing this and a new one was created not too long ago.
If you turn off DD on the Directv receiver it almsot completely eliminates the problem but then who wants to watch tv in crappy old stereo?
Old 01-17-11, 08:17 PM   #12
KasuCode
Wiley

Speakers wouldnt fit under my monitor the way I wanted so I made a rack to put them on over my TV. Im happy with how it turned out and more importantly it sounds awesome. The Sub gives a good level for movies. But for turning up music loud I need more. Gotta wait another week then I can get a receiver.

Check Out
~CrossWater~