Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-05-11, 06:12 AM   #1
heckmic

Default Snow / Tearing in VDR / XBMC

Since Driver Version 260.x a lot of People have a Problem with VDR & XBMC (VDPAU). There is "Snow" in Dark Color and some of them got a Problem with Tearing Effects. With Version 195x or 256x there is no Problem. What was changed? You can see it here: http://www.vdr-portal.de/board/threa...699#post967699

Board: Zotac IonTX-F-E Motherboard
DigitalDevices PCI-Express TWIN-DVB-S2 HDTV
Kingston 2 X 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400

Last edited by heckmic; 01-07-11 at 06:46 AM.
heckmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 06:45 AM   #2
heckmic

Default Re: Snow / Tearing in VDR / XBMC

In Ubuntu 10.10 is this error too. I use compiz and while moving the Windows you see snow in dark Colors.
heckmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-11, 10:33 AM   #3
Stephen Warren

As describe in the changelog, there were quite a few VDPAU changes introduced in the 260 series such as complete Xinerama support, and the ability to use the overlay presentation queue in additional situations. It's plausible these changes introduced some regressions; NVIDIA has seen a variety of reports similar to yours. Unfortunately, we have not yet been able to reproduce the problems to fix them.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 05:40 AM   #4
steffen_b

Unfortunately its not easy to provide reproducible steps to trigger the behavior.

For the coruption (Snow, white disturbance on black areas)

From what i read out of the reports, it is related to having more then one vdpau/vdpau &open gl application running (one after the other). It seems hardware dependent (i myself only got the corruption once in 3 weeks). I *think* it can be triggered by closing xine playing with vdpau and starting up xbmc and vice versa a couple of times (use case in yavdr: switch from TV to media player.)

The Tearing is a different story - there i believe it exists with FullHD resolution only. It's more likely on certain stations. If the TS is recorded and played after restart it plays fine, only after $SOMETHING has happened this content is triggering the tearing again.

As you can see its not trivial to provide reliable data to reproduce the issues.
steffen_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 06:06 AM   #5
steffen_b

An update with more details and a more thorough analysis. Analyzed has been only the image distortions aka "the snow".

User traxanos on the mentioned board worked "a bit" on trying to see exactly what happens. What we could see so far, is that the "snow" is actually an old overlay. It happens only, but not always at closing a xine based video player(in our case vdr-sxfe and xine). With displaying a picture only containing the overlay color, one can see its the last displayed picture of the application, (If the error has been triggered, the currently running application is changing sometimes the corruption/overlay on close). Afterwards, if another application hitting the overlay color (#050207) parts of the old picture (or what remains of it in memory) are visible then again. It happens only with vdpau output. The Debug log you can see in the bottom of post

The log has been created with xine during replay of live tv. with vdr-sxfe (also using xinelib for decoding) enabling and writing the log has made it impossible to reproduce the error.) The error seems to be very sensible to timings as you can see in the rest of the description.

With latest driver the likeliness of this to happen is a lot higher then before, however it DOES happen also with older drivers.

Some ways to close the application (vdr-sxfe or xine-ui) are more prone to trigger the problem then others. It seems to be related to the environment of the application. Starting the application with su seems to increase the probability, or running the application without window manager (it seems openbox triggers it, with icewm the problem will not be triggered, this has been done to see if the wm is causing the problem) does decrease the probability for this to happen. Starting the application in upstart, does increase the likeliness of this to happen, whereas starting it from a shell, never triggers the problem. Another factor seems to be the used hardware. Some hardware is nearly not affected at all, on some it can be safely reproduced.

For the hardware affected the symptoms as described can be reproduced in the same manner, even if the hardware is completely different (ION2 vs ION1), this has been proven with a second and third system.

The main system to analysis the problem is an asus AT5IONT with 2x 1GB RAM from the compatibility list of motherboard. A second and third system to confirm our test were the POV 330-1 motherboard. Further test system have been two other ION1 - a POV and Zotac.

So the combination used in yavdr to use openbox AND upstart AND latest nvidia driver has the highest chance to trigger the problem. However we don't see any error in the procedure itself. so any suggestion on how to further investigate the problem will be highly appreciated. Base of yavdr is Ubuntu Lucid Lynx, so xorg etc is coming from there.

Image with color to see/test overlay content
http://marco-scholl.de/vdr/overlaycolor.png
hsetroot -center /root/overlaycolor.png or use xbmc to open image and see the overlay data

Sample where you can see the "snow" in xbmc after error triggered
http://marco-scholl.de/vdr/schnee.mov

Trace of a xine instance running
http://marco-scholl.de/vdr/trace_vdp...d_xine.tar.bz2

2 additional traces, one time with upstart stopped one time manual on terminal
http://marco-scholl.de/vdr/debug_stop.tar.bz2

Additional Bug reports from many user of the vdr-portal.de
http://vdr-portal.de/board/thread.php?postid=970679
steffen_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 06:16 AM   #6
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffen_b View Post
For the hardware affected the symptoms as described can be reproduced in the same manner, even if the hardware is completely different (ION2 vs ION1), this has been proven with a second and third system.
I can confirm the issue for G210, "snow" is of course not a good description (it is an overlay issue), and I don't think it is source-depending.
The issue disappears on a reset of the X-server.

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 11:47 AM   #7
Stephen Warren

Thanks. It's a lot easier to understand how this issue could happen if it's simply that the overlay is not being correctly disabled when an application exits. I believe we've reproduced that by running "kill -9" against a running VDPAU application. Can you try that and see if it causes the same effect? Thanks.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 02:36 PM   #8
gda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
I believe we've reproduced that by running "kill -9" against a running VDPAU application. Can you try that and see if it causes the same effect? Thanks.
We know already from former tests that this is the case. We use upstart and sometimes upstart is a little bit impatient and uses SIGKILL too early.

Gerald
gda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-11, 02:58 PM   #9
fnu

Stephen, I can confirm this, I'd use "killall -9 xine" to stop xine-ui in the past, in case I needed to restart it. Depending on driver version, after several starts, I could either see the overlay issue or the tiering issue.

Since I started to quit it proberly a couple of days ago, due a virtually pressed key, I cannot reproduce the issue anymore. But in case of a crash of xine-ui, which happens very rare, I need to restart Xorg or the whole machine, to make sure the issue does not happen.

Regards
fnu
fnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 09:12 AM   #10
fnu

Stephen, unfortunately I can still reproduce the tiering issue with the new released driver version 260.19.36. I need to kill xine-ui 2 or 3 times, but then I can see tiering effects on interlaced material within the uppermost 1/10 of the screen.

The overlay issue was only with one version a problem in my installation.

Is there a secret in operation of the driver, to prevent this issue? It is mentioned beeing fixed in the changelog ...

Sorry for the inconvenience ...

Cheers
Frank
fnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 10:07 AM   #11
mlord
Linux kernel hacker

I have seen this problem for the very first time now, just after upgrading to 260.19.36, with a GT240 Zotac card. X had been running, and I shut it down to do the upgrade, then restarted X again. MythTV had the "white in dark areas" overlay issue thereafter.

A system reboot made it go away.
mlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 09:19 AM   #12
wwoody

Same issue, described by steffen_b hier, still persist, even with the brand new Driver 270.18. It is very easy to reproduce it. In yaVDR and even on clean Ubuntu with Nvidia driver and mplayer (2 different ION-Boards), it occours every time switching the frontend from xine-ui to xbmc. Tearing occurs after two or three switches in VDR live tv (xine-ui) and remains until X server is restarted. Like described, xine-ui does not end cleanly and the last overlay remains active. This issue does not exist with driver 195.xx or 256.53 ... or it is not visible and it occurs even with another frontends, players and not only with xine-ui.