Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-13-11, 04:23 PM   #61
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: I know what phone i want ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
Damn, that sucks. Are you going through with it? I'd wait, and go to a third party retailer, and see if they will do it and still keep your unlimited data plan.
i guess so, since i just placed the pre-order
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 12:52 PM   #62
|MaguS|

The Smartphone Unlimited Plan is eligible unless you want tethering (wifi hotspot) and the laptop dock.
Old 02-14-11, 02:20 PM   #63
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

any update on ship date?
Old 02-14-11, 02:33 PM   #64
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
any update on ship date?
As soon as your order is fulfilled. It will be before the March 6th date.
Old 02-15-11, 05:56 AM   #65
AthlonXP1800

I think I finally decided on what phone I want after read LG Optimus 2X reviews comments, many said that the camera 1080p quality is choppy running at 24fps instead of 30fps and picture quality not great probably because of cheap lense as Samsung made better camera and picture quality. Motorola Atrix is no go cos of 5MP camera and Samsung just announced Samsung Galaxy S II GT-I9100 that will be the world slimmest dual core smartphone with 8MP camera and finally have LED flash at last!!!

Samsung Galaxy S II GT-I9100 Technical Specification

Network
GSM 850/900/1800/1900
HSPA+ 21 850/900/1900/2100

OS – Android 2.3 Gingerbread

Display – 4.27” WVGA (480×800) Super AMOLED Plus

Processor ( BB& AP ) – 1 GHz Dual Core Application Processor

Camera
Main(Rear): 8.0-Mega Pixel Camera AF with LED Flash
Front: 2.0-Mega Pixel Camera
Single Shot, Beauty Shot, , Panorama Shot, Smile Shot, Action Shot, Cartoon Shot

Video
Codec : MPEG4/ H.264/ H.263/ DivX VC-1
Playback : FULL HD(1080p)@30fps
Recording : FULL HD(1080p)@30fps

Audio
MP3, AAC, AAC+, eACC+
3.5mm Ear Jack & Speaker, Stereo FM Radio with RDS, Voice Recorder

Hub:

Social Hub
- Integrated Contacts, Integrated Calendar, Unified Inbox
- Premium: SNS push notification, Push Email & Push IM
- Basic: POP3/IMAP Email & IM
(* Availability of Social Hub differs by country and mobile operator)

Music Hub

Readers Hub

Game Hub

Enterprise Solutions:

Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync – The comprehensive mobile implementation of Exchange ActiveSync, which provides the most policies and restrictions support among Android ActiveSync clients, along with e-mail, calendar, contacts and tasks synchronization with a Microsoft Exchange Server

On Device Encryption – A security solution that enables the protection of mobile data without the need to sacrifice speed and functionality. Superior performance can also be achieved when incorporated with Sybase Afaria Mobile Device Management and Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, both of which complement the encryption support with their own mechanisms.

Cisco AnyConnect Virtual Private Network – provide reliable and easy-to-deploy encrypted network connectivity for mobile workers everywhere for business email, virtual desktop, and other Android apps, AnyConnect enables business-critical application connectivity

Sybase Afaria Mobile Device Management – provides the comprehensive capabilities that IT requires to allow mobile workers access to enterprise assets using the device of their choice. IT can now confidently extend corporate security policies to the Android platform, allowing for the adoption of both personally-owned or corporate owned Galaxy S II.

Cisco WebEx – the workforce will be able to stay connected to important meetings wherever they are while using Samsung Galaxy devices; users can view shared desktops, browsers, applications and documents with live annotations.

Cisco Mobile – a VoIP solutions allowing the workforce to make and receive calls over Wi-Fi using an Android interface, providing significant cost-efficiencies for an international workforce

Value-added Features:

■Android Market™
■Adobe Flash 10.1 support
■Samsung TouchWiz
■QuickType by SWYPE
■Document Viewer / Editor
■Android Brower, RSS Reader
■Exchange ActiveSync
■Google MapsTM with Latitude, Places, Navigation (beta)
■A-GPS
■Google Voice SearchTM
■Lost Phone Management
Connectivity:

Bluetooth® technology v 3.0 + HS
USB 2.0
Wi-Fi 802.11 (a/b/g/n), WiFi Direct
NFC Connectivity (Optional)
MHL
DLNA (AllShare)

Sensor – Accelerometer, Light, Digital Compass, Proximity, Gyroscope sensor,

Memory – 16/32GB + microSD (up to 32GB)

Size – 125.3 x 66.1 x 8.49mm, 116g

Battery – 1650mAh

http://www.itechnews.net/2011/02/13/...dual-core-cpu/
http://webtrickz.com/samsung-galaxy-...pecifications/

Samsung Galaxy S II is slimmer and lighter than Iphone 4's 9.3mm depth and 137g weight.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 08:23 AM   #66
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

after samsung GPS fiasco, and their rom/software update bull****, I won't be buying their phones for a while. not the type of support you would expect.

and about picture quality

1) more MP DOES NOT EQUAL BETTER IMAGES
2) if you want BETTER QUALITY PICTURES, BUY A REAL CAMERA!

megapixel myth
http://www.google.com/search?q=megap...x=&startPage=1
Old 02-15-11, 11:30 AM   #67
AthlonXP1800

Quote:
after samsung GPS fiasco, and their rom/software update bull****, I won't be buying their phones for a while. not the type of support you would expect.

and about picture quality

megapixel myth
http://www.google.com/search?q=megap...x=&startPage=1
Yeah I knew about Samsung GPS fiasco. I read about Samsung software update issues today, the problem are down to network operators where customers got the phones on contracts were frustrated with lack of updates for nearly a year but customers who bought unlocked unbranded sim free got software update directed from Samsung every few months and very happy with it and told they will buy Samsung again. Network operators customers told they will never buy Samsung phones again but unfortunately they were clueless.

Same thing happened to my sister and nephews who bought Sony phones on contracts from Orange and T-Mobile few years ago had issues with software on Sony phones but they cant get firmware updates from Sony, it is up to Orange and T-Mobile to provide the updates but they are really terrible at software support, they always had older software updates while Sony had the latest new software updates. I told them it not Sony fault, it the network operators faults. I never had problem with my sim free old Sony S700i gave to my parents and my current C905 phone. So my sister never listened to me and told she HATED Sony what they done and switched to Samsung Pixon12 cos her mates and nephews told her that Samsung is 2nd largest mobile phone manufacturer and offer better software support. So it not Samsung and Sony fault, it all down to network operators faults.

Why does some people like you saying more MP size does not equal better images?

So why did people prefered 5MP images on iphone 4 vs dreadful 1.3MP on itouch 4? Because once they zoomed on 1.3MP images to see more details but it all squares of pixels so more MP give more details to see when zoomed in or want to print out a giant photo or A3 poster.

Not true, guess you hadnt read past reviews of Motorola Droid X and others android phones with 8MP camera, they gave 14MP high end real cameras a run of money in picture and video camera quality.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
Old 02-15-11, 08:54 PM   #68
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800 View Post

Why does some people like you saying more MP size does not equal better images?

So why did people prefered 5MP images on iphone 4 vs dreadful 1.3MP on itouch 4? Because once they zoomed on 1.3MP images to see more details but it all squares of pixels so more MP give more details to see when zoomed in or want to print out a giant photo or A3 poster.

Not true, guess you hadnt read past reviews of Motorola Droid X and others android phones with 8MP camera, they gave 14MP high end real cameras a run of money in picture and video camera quality.
this just proves how little you know about digital photography, sensors, mp etc..

MP is the least important item that makes up a good image quality.

1) sensor size (sensors in phones are tiny)
2) glass aka lens (again, cheap, barelly anything there)
3) ISO performance (big joke on the phones)
4) aperature (no control on phones)
5) noise handling (extreme high amount of noise reduction, loosing details)

just five main factors, but there are more.

Old 02-15-11, 11:00 PM   #69
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

I just got an HTC Desire. Quite liking it so far.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 08:13 AM   #70
AthlonXP1800

Quote:
this just proves how little you know about digital photography, sensors, mp etc..

MP is the least important item that makes up a good image quality.

1) sensor size (sensors in phones are tiny)
2) glass aka lens (again, cheap, barelly anything there)
3) ISO performance (big joke on the phones)
4) aperature (no control on phones)
5) noise handling (extreme high amount of noise reduction, loosing details)

just five main factors, but there are more.
Same to you just proves how little you know about digital photography, sensors, mp etc..!!!

Only professional photographers knew more about digital photography, sensors, mp etc.

Of course ISO performance was joke on phones because the camera software on phones are very basic. BUT here something you dont know there actually apps for phones that can give you much better ISO performance on phones. Like my C905 stock symbian camera software have no ISO settings. I checked my pictures in low light conditions with EXIF data, the ISO settings was as high as 350 but no good in low light conditions, I replaced the default symbian camera driver with modded driver called Cybershot Xperience 7.0 which offer tons of new features the default driver lacked. With the modded driver I can use ISO settings up to 1000, same level as iphone 4 max ISO level to give the same image quality. Really very impressive with it and gave my C905 new lease of life for a while. Same thing go with Android camera software like on HTC phone can go as high as ISO 800 but there are many fantastic apps on Android market that give more and better features with up to ISO 6400.

Last year when Motorola Droid X and Samsung Galaxy S came out and people included professional DSLR photographers posted photos from Droid X on Android forums. I and everybody was blowed away at the photos professional DSLR photographers took pictures on Droid X using Vignette app and compared the same shot with a DSLR camera, everybody and I were absolutely astonished that Vignette app can make good photos as good as it did the same thing with a DSLR camera. With Vignette app, you can control ISO settings, shutter speed, aperature, noise handling, HDR, DOF etc to make professional photos. You will need to learn how to use it properly.

Once again you said last time if you want BETTER QUALITY PICTURES, BUY A REAL CAMERA!

Let see how £129 new Pentax Optio LS1000 real camera performed at night shot.

Guess What? It made terrible picture quality far worse than my modded C905 camera and also far worse than both iphone 4 and itouch 4.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3464752...n/photostream/

Let see how it peformed in 720p. Guess What? The video quality is not great and it cannot handle 30fps. It only can do 15fps! How shocked is that? It cant matched itouch 4, iphone 4 and many 2.2 android phones 720p at 30fps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC9p2CUPtEk
Old 02-16-11, 10:42 AM   #71
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

1) Your Sony Ericsson C905 is slightly different animal (a hybrid) then a regular phone like Galaxy S, Galaxy S II, Droid X, Atrix etc.. Your C905 is combination of Phone and actual "real" Sony Cybershot camera. The Cybershot Camera actually used a better sensor similar to ones found in compact point & shoot cameras. To make this simpler for you to understand it’s like taking a car (phone) and putting a bigger engine (cybershot camera with P&S sensor) in it. For comparison Galaxy S II is like taking a car and putting more stickers on it to make it seem like its better. If you’re buying the Galaxy S II because you expecting the same image quality you will be surprised. 8MP image quality DOES NOT ALWAYS equal 8MP image quality. 4MP real camera (Canon G3) can take better images, which can be printed at larger scale then 8MP camera phone.

2) Software doesn't improve ISO performance, what software does, it raises ISO limit, and raises the amount of noise reduction performed. Same process is done on cheap cameras. That’s why "professionals" shoot in RAW mode, so they have full control over the camera image files, and most importantly can decide on options like white balance, saturation, NOISE REDUCTION etc... But again, in case of your C905 a hybrid, it could be a case of Sony limiting phone capability.

3) Another mistake was using Pentax Optio LS1000 as your definition of real camera. A cheap $150 bucks camera from a company that is barely kicking, trying to stay afloat? From a company that never been known for good point and shoots. Looks like a camera you would buy at Walgreens that would be on a shelf right next to GE and HP camera.

4) (to continue point 3) higher end point and shoot cameras don't have 12, 14, 16MP, they have 10MP MAX. Including S90, S95, G11, G12, LX5, etc... Some companies including Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Samsung, and Olympus realized that there was no point to continue megapixel battle and reducing image quality year by year. Why did camera companies lower MP? So instead they released premium point and shoot cameras with larger sensor and lower MP count, lowering mega pixel density, and improving image quality on large scale. While the ultra-cheap higher MP count cameras still sell like cupcakes by the un-educated Best Buy employees. People that know anything about photography have the option of buying a better camera.

Pentax you mentioned has a sensor size of 6.2 x 4.6 mm
Phone cameras sensors range from 2 x 1.6 mm to around 5 x 4 mm
Cameras I mentioned have sensor size of 7.6 x 5.7 mm
Camera I use has a sensor size of 22.3 x 14.9 mm
Camera I sometimes use has a sensor of 36 x 24 mm (and will be my next purchase)

And yes that small difference makes a huge difference.

4) i don't care how "hacked" is your driver/camera software, to really control aperture you need a diaphragm, and regular phones, some that you mentioned don't have that. Even some cheap compact cameras don't.

I will tell you how "hacked" driver works, it gives you an illusion, software image manipulation, basically it fools you. "Hacked" driver doesn't add missing hardware.

5) Post what you just post here on "professional" photography forum and you will be laughed at.

6) if phone camera takes such an amazing photos, why all the pictures taken with phone camera and posted on this forum look like ****, and can be spotted from distance. There are bunch in post your rigs thread or bunch in picture thread.

7) all that Vignette app does (acording to description) it adds cheap software filters and effects. Something that can be done to any photo in after processing process. And when its done afterwards you have bigger control over the effect. Not impressed.

When all the “professional” photographers stumble upon your discovery that phone camera takes better pictures then their expensive gear, they will give you Nobel Prize for saving them thousands of dollars on gear.

HAHA, or they will just laugh at your face.

And again read about Megapixel Myth

First, let’s talk about the megapixel myth. Many of us believe the more megapixels we have on our mobile phone camera, the better our photos will be. Today, not a day goes by when some mobile phone manufacturer or the other boasts about the megapixels on the cameras crammed into its handsets. Yet, we all end up snapping pictures that are dark, blurry, somewhat discolored and, well, not very cool.
The reason for that is while the mobile cameras might have the megapixels, the overall capabilities aren’t enough for the camera to grab as much light and process the images effectively. At a certain point, more megapixels become counter productive, unless there are certain other capabilities. Let me explain.
The digital picture quality is determined by multiple factors: pixel count, sensor size, lens quality and how the pixels are organized. In case of cellular cameras, the lenses are fixed-focus and sensors are too small. Often, the resolution of the sensor sometimes exceeds the capabilities of the lens, which forces makers of cell-phones to use big lenses, which often leads to ungainly looking cameras on phones. And that’s not all.
Camera manufacturers are cramming more pixels onto a camera sensor without increasing the physical size of the sensor. Thus the physical size of the pixels and the distance between pixels is going down. With a reduction in the amount of light that hits each pixel and “bleeding over” of light from one pixel to an adjacent one, picture quality is impaired. Hence, the notion that more pixels equals better pictures isn’t always true. The obvious way to solve this problem is to use a large sensor and a large lens to capture more light, but unfortunately with this approach, you end up with a much thicker mobile phone.

More: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/08/te...y/08pogue.html

More: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

this has to be one of the longest replies I wrote on this forum

What else you going to tell me?
That good multifunction machine prints better then a good dedicated printer?
That good multifunction machine scans better then a good dedicated scanner?
That ATI AIW card captures video better then a proffesional capture card?
That Cell phone camcorder records video better then a proper camcorder?
Old 02-16-11, 02:13 PM   #72
AthlonXP1800

Alright I found a picture I will post here for you to determind which the photo came from.

Is this photo been shot by Android phone or a DSLR camera?