Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Crysis

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-07-11, 03:19 PM   #1
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Default The way it was FINALLY meant to be played

So, I have a confession. I bought Crysis at release, and I even bought Warhead at release, but my PC at the time (Q6600 + 8800GT + 4GB Ram + WinXP + 1280x1024 LCD) just wasn't enough to run it at its full glory. So I shelved the game after playing a few missions until I could experience it properly (i.e. maxed out at 1080p).

I am playing through Crysis now at 1080p, all settings very high, with 8x AA and 16x AF (forced through nv control panel), and I must say...HOLY CRAP. This game is absolutely incredible. The sheer vastness of the maps, amazing combat, great AI...wow!

Now I am seeing the Crysis 2 footage and trailers and am significantly underwhelmed...but that's okay, I still have the rest of Crysis and all of Warhead to complete!

But yeah...I've never seen visuals this good -- and I played Metro 2033 on VH!
Intel Core i7 980X Extreme Edition @ 4.00GHz, 2.94GHz uncore| Corsair H60 | ASUS P6X58D-E | Zotac GTX 580 @ 872/1744/2145|Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB (Games/Steam)| Seagate 1.5TB (media/misc.) |Seagate 1 TB (OS/Main) | 24 GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1.5V DDR3-1333 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Sennheiser HD 202 Headset | Dual Gigabit Realtek LAN | Antec True Power Quattro 1200W | Acer G235Hbmbd 23" LCD Display | Logitech K320 Wireless Keyboard | Logitech Performance MX Mouse
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 03:49 PM   #2
Redeemed

Default Re: The way it was FINALLY meant to be played

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17 View Post
So, I have a confession. I bought Crysis at release, and I even bought Warhead at release, but my PC at the time (Q6600 + 8800GT + 4GB Ram + WinXP + 1280x1024 LCD) just wasn't enough to run it at its full glory. So I shelved the game after playing a few missions until I could experience it properly (i.e. maxed out at 1080p).

I am playing through Crysis now at 1080p, all settings very high, with 8x AA and 16x AF (forced through nv control panel), and I must say...HOLY CRAP. This game is absolutely incredible. The sheer vastness of the maps, amazing combat, great AI...wow!

Now I am seeing the Crysis 2 footage and trailers and am significantly underwhelmed...but that's okay, I still have the rest of Crysis and all of Warhead to complete!

But yeah...I've never seen visuals this good -- and I played Metro 2033 on VH!
Funny how now, even about 4 years later, it still holds the crown for best graphics. I think it's going to be a very long time before we see another game push the visual boundaries like Crysis did.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 03:53 PM   #3
Roadhog
Resident Alien

My experience with crysis is pretty much the total opposite of what you said.

I don't think it looks good at all, and I don't think it had good gameplay or AI. It really is a terrible game IMO. Only reason it was popular imo at the time is because it was said to be the best looking game then, and pushed hardware to the edge. But today it's just meh.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 03:56 PM   #4
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post

I don't think it looks good at all, and I don't think it had good gameplay or AI. It really is a terrible game IMO. Only reason it was popular imo at the time is because it was said to be the best looking game then, and pushed hardware to the edge. But today it's just meh.
What games look better? I would really love to play them since my GTX 470s are dying of boredom here!
Intel Core i7 980X Extreme Edition @ 4.00GHz, 2.94GHz uncore| Corsair H60 | ASUS P6X58D-E | Zotac GTX 580 @ 872/1744/2145|Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB (Games/Steam)| Seagate 1.5TB (media/misc.) |Seagate 1 TB (OS/Main) | 24 GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1.5V DDR3-1333 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Sennheiser HD 202 Headset | Dual Gigabit Realtek LAN | Antec True Power Quattro 1200W | Acer G235Hbmbd 23" LCD Display | Logitech K320 Wireless Keyboard | Logitech Performance MX Mouse
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 03:57 PM   #5
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg

I have to wonder what are teh couple important new milestones in gaming graphics? Voxels? New shadowing/lighting methods? Raytracing? New and more powerful forms of HDR?

Expanding performance graphics to the mobile sector is cool.... the whole games on-demand thing is cool, and similar technological advancements are quite exciting... but what of just purely graphical advancements? Ones that when put into a game, a GTX 580 can just barely push 30 fps @ 1920x1080 with no AA or AF?

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 03:57 PM   #6
Redeemed

Quote:

When it comes to immitating real-world visuals, no other game compares.

"Artistic" is an entirely different category and doesn't apply here. Unless you know of another game that better immitates real-world visuals?

Wait- MINECRAFT!!!!

Old 01-07-11, 03:58 PM   #7
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg

Quote:

I swear I think you can beat both Mr. Hunt and Comic Book Guy in a skepticism game.

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 03:59 PM   #8
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
When it comes to immitating real-world visuals, no other game compares.

"Artistic" is an entirely different category and doesn't apply here. Unless you know of another game that better immitates real-world visuals?

Wait- MINECRAFT!!!!

There are plenty of games that destroy it visual wise. Crysis just doesn't look reaslistic imo. It has WAY too much contrast for one. Just tries too hard to look real imo.

Old 01-07-11, 04:07 PM   #9
Redeemed

Quote:
There are plenty of games that destroy it visual wise. Crysis just doesn't look reaslistic imo. It has WAY too much contrast for one. Just tries too hard to look real imo.
I can see what you mean in regards to contrast... that's only one area though.

Show me a game that has characters that look as realistic as the character's in Crysis. The flesh alone is still something modern games struggle with. And in many areas the textures and detailed shaders can't be touched by modern games... I've yet to see anyother game render the inside of a ship as well as CryEngine 2. I have seen better looking rocks and trees, but a world with more lush vegetation doesn't exist. And in some places the ground texture is nearly photo-realistic.

But it does have it's flaws and the realism is easily destroyed when the horrid physics and other "anomolies" occur so often.
Old 01-07-11, 04:22 PM   #10
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Destroy Crysis/Warhead for visuals? For serial?

What games, I must play these.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 04:25 PM   #11
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
I can see what you mean in regards to contrast... that's only one area though.

Show me a game that has characters that look as realistic as the character's in Crysis.
Easy, Mass effect 2, Heavy Rain, HL2 CM10, Metro 2033. Thats all I can think of right now.

Quote:
The flesh alone is still something modern games struggle with. And in many areas the textures and detailed shaders can't be touched by modern games... I've yet to see anyother game render the inside of a ship as well as CryEngine 2. I have seen better looking rocks and trees, but a world with more lush vegetation doesn't exist. And in some places the ground texture is nearly photo-realistic.
Textures is where I find crysis the most lacking. Most are low res when you get close, and can I say blurry mountains? My name is Crysis, I can render leaves REALLY well, enjoy the leaves, I mean game. kthx. <3

Quote:
But it does have it's flaws and the realism is easily destroyed when the horrid physics and other "anomolies" occur so often.
agreed.
Old 01-07-11, 04:26 PM   #12
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Destroy Crysis/Warhead for visuals? For serial?

What games, I must play these.
FSX, DCS: A10, actually a lot of games. Though if you like looking at tress all day, then crysis wins hands down.