Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-12-11, 11:09 AM   #1
Winchester44

Default Not TwinView and Not Separate X screen ?

I just recovered my X system after an unintended video driver update that cause my system to boot only to a CLI.

Before the update I was running 2 'independant' screens, using 2 CRTs connected to my Quadro NVS 280 card. By this I mean that the Ubuntu panel was on 1 monitor only. The workspace graphic at the foot of this monitor showed 2 'part's to each of the 4 workspaces. I was able to drag windows between my two monitors and the workspace graphic at the foot of my 'first' monitor updated accordingly. I could drag toolbars from Apps. like GIMP, Scribus, AutoCAD onto the 'other' screen from the one containing the main app. window. This made it much easier to work with with these apps. This was the whole rationale for making this configuration in the first place.

After I recovered the sysem I used the NVIDIA X Server Settings app. to configure TwinView, as I thought that's what I had been using. At first it looked correct (I could drag windows between the 2 monitors), until I maxmised a windowed app on 1 monitor. It maximised as a very wide window spread across both monitors. Previously it maxmised only within the limits of the monitor it was using. This 'wide window' is not the sort of action that I want.

I have now set up the system to use 2 separate X screens. But now I cannot drag windows between the two monitors. They look like 2 entirely separate Ubuntu systems - there is even a Ubuntu panel on both monitors. So, clearly, I wasn't using that configuration previosuly either.

So what was I using and how do I get back to it?
Winchester44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 01:02 PM   #2
BitJam

Default Re: Not TwinView and Not Separate X screen ?

First of all, you almost certainly want to use Twinview for what you are doing. It is possible to get the same thing without Twinview but you gain nothing and the efficiency is terrible.

If applications are opening up across both screens when using Twinview then the problem is likely in the applications or your window manager (Gnome, I assume). It is also possible that xserver is confused (perhaps by xorg.conf?). What is supposed to happen is Twinview combines the two monitors into one large x-screen. You say this is working (since you can drag windows back and forth). Next, the xorg server is supposed to give applications (and desktop environments such as Gnome) what is called "xinerama" information that tells the apps that even though there is only one giant x-screen, there are actually two monitors so windows should not open up split between the two monitors and windows should full-screen to just one monitor or the other.

One possible source of confusion is the word "xinerama". It is used for two very different things. In addition to telling apps about the two (or more) monitors it is also used as an xorg server flag to knit to monitors together the slow and inefficient way. So you want to make sure "xinerama" is not enabled in your xorg.conf (there should be no mention of "xinerama" in that file) but you also want to make sure that xinerama information is getting passed from your xorg server to your desktop and apps.

I'm not sure what you've done to break things and I don't use Ubuntu or Gnome so I don't know what you need to do to fix it. I hope I've at least pointed you in the right direction. It's possible your problem would be solved just by using the correct xorg.conf file (with twinview enabled) and then restarting the x server (or rebooting).
BitJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 07:40 AM   #3
adamk75

While using twinview, what is the output of 'xdpyinfo -ext XINERAMA | grep head'? What you are describing actually sounds to me like Dynamic Twinview and not just regular twinview.

Adam
adamk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 11:14 AM   #4
heldal

Is this Ubuntu 10.10? If so I've had the same problem following a recent update of xserver packages from the maverick-updates repository. The packages involved are xserver-common and xserver-xorg-core (+dev pack if installed). The original maverick version of these (2:1.9.0-0ubuntu7) works, while the update (2:1.9.0-0ubuntu7.1) breaks twinview. Downgrade to the original version fixes the problem. There is also a more recent version (2:1.9.0-0ubuntu7.3) in the maverick-proposed repo, but I haven't tried that one yet.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/680811

Upd: have now tested xserver-packages 2:1.9.0-0ubuntu7.3 and they work fine with twinview

Last edited by heldal; 01-14-11 at 06:18 PM.
heldal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 11:36 AM   #5
Winchester44

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk75 View Post
While using twinview, what is the output of 'xdpyinfo -ext XINERAMA | grep head'? What you are describing actually sounds to me like Dynamic Twinview and not just regular twinview.

Adam
Apologies for delayed response, for personal reasons.

I ran NVIDIA XSERVER Settings app. and explicitly cset up TwinView. This time I get the result That I had before my unintended driver update - adn is the result I think is best for my needs. I have never heard of Dynamic Twinview - can you please clarify?

The output from the command you suggested is several hundred lines long, ending with :

Code:
XINERAMA version 1.1 opcode: 151
  head #0: 1280x1024 @ 0,0
  head #1: 1280x1024 @ 1280,0
Hoe can I most usefully show the rest of the output?

(OOps, sorry, I just saw the clue in the command syntax - which I didn't follow correctly)
Old 01-18-11, 11:40 AM   #6
Winchester44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitJam View Post
So you want to make sure "xinerama" is not enabled in your xorg.conf (there should be no mention of "xinerama" in that file) but you also want to make sure that xinerama information is getting passed from your xorg server to your desktop and apps.
Thanks for this advice; I have ensured that 'xinerama' is set to 'false' in the xorg.conf file. Having now setup TwinView again, it seems to be working as I expect. I do not understand how "to make sure that xinerama information is getting passed from your xorg server to your desktop and apps." Can you clarify that?
Old 01-18-11, 11:49 AM   #7
Winchester44

Quote:
Originally Posted by heldal View Post
Is this Ubuntu 10.10? If so I've had the same problem following a recent update of xserver packages from the maverick-updates repository. The packages involved are xserver-common and xserver-xorg-core (+dev pack if installed). The original maverick version of these (2:1.9.0-0ubuntu7) works, while the update (2:1.9.0-0ubuntu7.1) breaks twinview. Downgrade to the original version fixes the problem. There is also a more recent version (2:1.9.0-0ubuntu7.3) in the maverick-proposed repo, but I haven't tried that one yet.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/680811

Upd: have now tested xserver-packages 2:1.9.0-0ubuntu7.3 and they work fine with twinview

Thanks; it appears that I am running with his xorg-server update anyway (I guess I have the relevant repositories defined to my system)

I think this thread can be closed now, as my problem is solved.