Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-12-11, 12:19 PM   #1
stabu

Default hw malfunction possibilities

Hi,

I recently got a ENGTX480 from Asus and I am troubleshooting it at the moment, because though the system does recognise it, there are artifacts and also it hangs on the nvidia logo now.

Discovering the problem will take a while as I go through the docs, other forum-threads and try the various configurations, but I still get a feeling that it may be a hardware problem, which of course would mean that I'm wasting my time going through all the software related issues.

This GTX480 is replacing a 9800 GSO and I've installed nvidia card some 4 or 5 times, so I'm an intermediate. I hve had software problems in the past (nouveau, etc) but have ironed hem out.

So, I'm wondering is it possible for the card to half-work but still have a hardware problem?
Usually hardware problems cause fatal errors. A good example is to pull the six pin power cord out (while machine is off of course) and then reboot. What happens is some severe beeping on boot-up. Using some rescue CD I was able to get the machine up, but the card was unrecognised. That is clearly a hardware problem.

So my question is, if the system is recognising the card, I'd say fine, it's not hardware. But is that correct? The card clearly "half-works": is it possible to discard hardware problems in this case?

Cheers.
stabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 12:57 PM   #2
stabu

Default Re: hw malfunction possibilities

Of course, there's the issue of BIOS. I suppose that's half way between HW and SW.

I have an Asus motherboard, a fairly decent one with Phoenix Awardbios.

It does not have much about graphics, but here is a little. Something about PCI:Principle Display. You are given a choice here PCI or PCI-E, mine was marked PCI.

I suppose I got a minor eureka moment, because obviously, for this card, it should be PCI-E. So I set it that way, saved config ... and guess what? No difference! Looks to be one of those BIOS "irrelevant" settings.

I was also thinking that my question is rather black and white because there's probably a good deal of firmware on the card. Maybe even firmwares for other subsystem firmwares! I reckon it's possible for these to be working, but to be also somewhat deficient. Maybe?
Old 01-12-11, 02:29 PM   #3
stabu

OK, well I tried to install under windows xp.

ALl through this, the keyboard and mouse operation was proving problematic. Often they didn't work.

I switched back to my 9600 GSO and of course its performance was pristine.

The suspicion that I'm dealing with a duff card was increasing by the hour: the artifacts (sparse thin coloured lines on the screen) I was getting in Linux were the exact same in Windows.

After a few more tries, the mouse started working in windows and I was able to install the driver that came on a CD.

But ... on boot up procedure, it caused errors and I was switched to failsafe mode. So it's clear there is something not quite right with my card.

However, there is still the option of my power supply of 650W not being up to the task.

Is it normal to have those artifacts with a low power electrical supply? I'm not sure myself.

I'm going to talk to my supplier tomorrow. To me those artifacts point to some dodgy firmware on the device and it has to go back.
Old 01-13-11, 09:21 AM   #4
artem

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabu View Post
Is it normal to have those artifacts with a low power electrical supply? I'm not sure myself.

I'm going to talk to my supplier tomorrow. To me those artifacts point to some dodgy firmware on the device and it has to go back.
PSU has nothing to do with these artifacts. I'm sure 99% your video accelerator is broken.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote