Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-02, 02:44 PM   #1
VoodooNinja

Default DET 40 info for WIN98 users here!

I E-Mailed Nvidia about Det 40 drivers for WIN98 on August 30th and here is the reply I got. xxxxx's are where my real name would be.

Hi xxxxxxxxx,

We will be issuing an updated version of the Detonator 40 driver, with support for Windows 98/Windows ME operating systems, next week. Please visit our Website again next week for the driver download.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Carrie Cowan
NVIDIA Corp.
http://www.nvidia.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 11:30 AM
To: Carrie Cowan
Subject: New Det 40 driver question

Could you please tell me if you will be releasing these new Detonator 40 drivers for Windows ME/98?

Thank-You,
2GB OCZ Reaper HPC
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
74GB WD Raptor
300GB Seagate Barracuda
Creative Audigy 2
Asus 52X CDROM
LiteOn DVD R/RW
Samsung 226BW
Win XP
Old 09-06-02, 03:48 PM   #2
digitalwanderer

Default WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!

You da man VoodooNinja, you da man!!!!

Thanks, I can go about my normal life now....
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 09-06-02, 09:44 PM   #3
PCarr78

Oh dear god.

You people are still using 9x.

*pukes*

Nt5 for me, forever.
Old 09-07-02, 03:43 AM   #4
Gargr

Quote:
Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]
Oh dear god.

You people are still using 9x.

*pukes*

Nt5 for me, forever.
Well guess what
Win98SE is more stable for me!!

My sh***y Celeron 850 runs fine @952 and even 1133Mhz under Win98SE. Works without a problem for months!

But in WinXP i cant ock it at all, it gives me a Blue screen: "Hardware Malfunction"
I'll install SP1, and try ocking again
Old 09-07-02, 04:50 AM   #5
CraigGen

I get really pissed off when I see other users TELLING them what they should and shouldn't be using.

If win9x is better for the majority of users out there, then fine leave them alone.

If WinXP is your preferred OS, then great. But don't try and force it down users throats.

I dual boot WinME and WinXP, and while XP is a great OS, superior for surfing and office and great on a few games.
It's not as good as Win9x/ME for ALL games, and emulators, and old DOS games that many of us STILL enjoy.
It doesn't have the stupid refresh rate bug, it doesn't need any sort of web authoring, it doesn't keep telling you what *it* thinks is the best driver instead of you having to force the OS to use it.

On my 2ghz Athlon, 512Mb, Ti4600, WinME positively flies along, and very rarely crashes (about twice a week).
Whereas XP does bog down my PC, it's slightly slower on games, and doesn't run dos games with sound.

So stop posting in Win9x threads about moving on, and how crap the OS is.
MSI GF4 Ti 4600
SBLive Platinum + Livedrive
Liteon 48x CDRW
Pioneer Slot DVD 106s
Old 09-07-02, 08:56 AM   #6
Renzo
The Terminator

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigGen
I get really pissed off when I see other users TELLING them what they should and shouldn't be using.

If win9x is better for the majority of users out there, then fine leave them alone.

If WinXP is your preferred OS, then great. But don't try and force it down users throats.

I agree. Have fun with your bloated 1,5GB XP, I can manage with my 81MB 98lite installed original Win98 with uptimes being above one week.
Old 09-07-02, 09:01 AM   #7
digitalwanderer

Thumbs up "Woo-hoo!" <clap-clap-clap!> <OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD WHISTLING!>

Quote:

I dual boot WinME and WinXP, and while XP is a great OS, superior for surfing and office and great on a few games.
It's not as good as Win9x/ME for ALL games, and emulators, and old DOS games that many of us STILL enjoy.
It doesn't have the stupid refresh rate bug, it doesn't need any sort of web authoring, it doesn't keep telling you what *it* thinks is the best driver instead of you having to force the OS to use it.

On my 2ghz Athlon, 512Mb, Ti4600, WinME positively flies along, and very rarely crashes (about twice a week).
Whereas XP does bog down my PC, it's slightly slower on games, and doesn't run dos games with sound.

Preach on brother-man-mine! What works best for you might not be best for everybody, so quit harping on people for using what works best for them. I'm still using 98se on all my rigs just 'cause it's what works best. XP was alright on Bubbles, but some of Blue's legacy bits just didn't play nice with it...and Boomer is my 5 year old son's box and I don't WANT to give him more bells and whistles to play with yet! (Not to mention that I gotta repair his OS quite a bit and I'm clueless about XP and near leet-level on 98se, but that's just me being lazy. )

Use what works for you, don't knock people for being different. Very uncool.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 09-07-02, 10:02 AM   #8
Gargr

Quote:

i have 5 gigs of old DOS games, and i forgot about this
lol

But i still cant play half of them cos my Fortissimo II sound card
arghrgrhg

i need a DOS SB... emulator or something

Old 09-07-02, 10:33 AM   #9
CraigGen

Exactly,

But did any of you know that you can play most of your old DOS based GLIDE games like Tombraider, Extreme Assualt, Carmageddon, Descent, Descent 2, etc.. ??

A program called GliDOS runs superb on WinME for all those old games, but in XP none of them have sound.

www.glidos.net
MSI GF4 Ti 4600
SBLive Platinum + Livedrive
Liteon 48x CDRW
Pioneer Slot DVD 106s
Old 09-07-02, 01:08 PM   #10
Craigy

Quote:

I agree - i have three machines - one has 98 one has xp and one(my firewall) has win2kpro

This configuration works best for me.

Old 09-07-02, 06:30 PM   #11
StealthHawk

guys, unless i missed something, NT5 is Win2k, not WinXP

but yes, you are correct, if you want to use win9x there's nothing wrong with that at all. it's actually pretty stable for some of us

Old 09-07-02, 10:09 PM   #12
PCarr78

Quote:
Originally posted by Gargr

Well guess what
Win98SE is more stable for me!!

My sh***y Celeron 850 runs fine @952 and even 1133Mhz under Win98SE. Works without a problem for months!

But in WinXP i cant ock it at all, it gives me a Blue screen: "Hardware Malfunction"
I'll install SP1, and try ocking again
Had a similar prob.

2k has worked fine though.

I couldnt get more than 5 days uptime in XP

ive been going for months now with 2k.
Closed Thread