Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-17-11, 06:31 PM   #1
prezioso

Default Xorg wont work after wine installation

Hi!

I've just installed archlinux, worked fine and then I thought of playing wow with wine. Wine need some files to be installed (cant remember which) - I could still not play wow - So i thought of rebooting, I did, and now my Xorg wont start.

what should I try to do, and why?

nvidia-bug-report.log

nvidia-bug-report.log2.txt

dmesg.log

Xorg.0.log
prezioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 07:42 PM   #2
Dizzle7677

Default Re: Xorg wont work after wine installation

Reinstall the nVidia driver? If it's the same one that worked before.
Dizzle7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 07:44 PM   #3
prezioso

I've tried that, pacman -R nvidia and pacman -R nvidia-utils (the last one says it cant because other programs are depending on it) Ive tried pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils, that didn't help either
prezioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 07:54 PM   #4
jeisom

From dmesg
Quote:
NVRM: The NVIDIA GPU 0000:01:00.0 (PCI ID: 10de:0407) installed
NVRM: in this system is not supported by the 260.19.29 NVIDIA Linux
NVRM: graphics driver release. Please see 'Appendix A -
NVRM: Supported NVIDIA GPU Products' in this release's README,
NVRM: available on the Linux graphics driver download page at
NVRM: www.nvidia.com.
nvidia: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -1
NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine failed for 1 device(s).
NVRM: None of the NVIDIA graphics adapters were initialized!
You probably upgraded drivers and there appears to be a bug in it.
jeisom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 09:25 PM   #5
Dizzle7677

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezioso View Post
I've tried that, pacman -R nvidia and pacman -R nvidia-utils (the last one says it cant because other programs are depending on it) Ive tried pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils, that didn't help either

Just download the driver and do the install outside of pacman ... http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122606
Old 01-18-11, 01:32 AM   #6
artem

Wine has absolutely nothing to do with your X.org server.

It's just a coincidence.

X.org log indicates your kernel NVIDIA module is not installed:

Code:
[    75.346] (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, 0)
[    75.346] (EE) No drivers available.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 01:39 AM   #7
Dizzle7677

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
Wine has absolutely nothing to do with your X.org server.

It's just a coincidence.

X.org log indicates your kernel NVIDIA module is not installed:

Code:
[    75.346] (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, 0)
[    75.346] (EE) No drivers available.
Not really. They (wine) usually likes to install mesa which messes up the GLX link to the nVid driver.
Old 01-18-11, 02:59 AM   #8
gbil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle7677 View Post
Not really. They (wine) usually likes to install mesa which messes up the GLX link to the nVid driver.
Wine doesn't install anything that messes up with you graphics environment, most probably the packages from your distro messes up with that.
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-11, 04:33 AM   #9
artem

Dizzle7677,

You are obviously outright lying. Wine has the only system wide library installed: libwine.so(.1.0)
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 06:41 PM   #10
jpi110
Gentoo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
Dizzle7677,

You are obviously outright lying. Wine has the only system wide library installed: libwine.so(.1.0)
Never attribute to malice what can more easily be attributed to ignorance unless you can prove otherwise.

I don't think he is lying, outright or otherwise. It sounds like he simply doesn't know.

Some distributions are better about managing opengl and compilation/linking against mesa, even if the used library is actually nvidia or ati. In the past, Gentoo, for example, used to complain and fail to compile unless you switched to mesa during compilation, and then back to nvidia after compilation. Now, it no longer has that issue. (I haven't recently checked to see what the method is, but I suspect either the proper header files were included or it automatically toggles between mesa and nvidia before and after compilation.)

Doing a little digging into the original issue, it looks like 10de:0407 is actually an Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT video card. 10de is Nvidia's PCI vendor ID. 0407 is the card's id. Nvidia's support site says it supports this card. Which lends me to a few conclusions.

A.) The card is incorrectly identified as a GeForce 8600M GT. (OP can answer if that is the case or not.)
B.) The website has not yet been updated to reflect the drivers no longer supporting this card. (not sure here)
C.) The drivers are incorrectly identifying this card as unsupported when it is.
D.) Unknown bug which does not fit any of the above criteria.

In any event, the most useful solution is to temporarily reverse the upgrade (take an older package and/or go back to the last known working version) until any of the above is proven correct.

Edit to add: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...29-driver.html

Suggests the card is currently supported. That leaves probability as A, C, or D. (Or some combination thereof.)
jpi110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 11:25 PM   #11
Dizzle7677

FYI, I've been building wine from git source for almost 2 years. If whatever distribution's package maintainer likes to install mesa(etc) as a dependency, it's not my fault that it overwrites the glx module. It was just a thought that he could look at for problems.
Old 01-18-11, 11:40 PM   #12
jpi110
Gentoo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle7677 View Post
FYI, I've been building wine from git source for almost 2 years. If whatever distribution's package maintainer likes to install mesa(etc) as a dependency, it's not my fault that it overwrites the glx module. It was just a thought that he could look at for problems.
Technically, if you really get down to it, nvidia and ati both have installer programs that put the glx module over the place of existing mesa glx. Some distributions can work around this problem by some magic behind the scenes (Gentoo, for example). Some cannot.

Realistically, it should be possible through either a package/distribution maintained setup to have alternative libraries of various versions on a system. Indeed, CentOS tends to believe in this philosophy via the 'alternatives' package. And, most 64 bit systems tend to follow suit with the lib[32-64] directories.

What I'm getting at is that every distribution does it differently because there are so many different packages of software out there which don't necessarily all follow the same rules. That's a benefit and curse to open source and being in the human race. I don't think it's particularly a 'problem' so much as understanding that this is how X package works in Y distribution with Z considerations.

I don't think anyone is blaming you. I do think someone assigned malicious intent without probable cause. Though, I'd argue it's easier to just simply ignore the commentary as irrational fear rather than take it to heart.
jpi110 is offline   Reply With Quote