Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-21-11, 12:47 AM   #25
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: GTX570 or Ati 6950 ?

The GTX 570 is THE best selling card in history!

It must be if Rollo has one.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 06:47 AM   #26
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
It's actually common issue.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gtx+570+whine
A handful of links on Google with some saying they over volted the card makes it common? Of the thousands (tens of thousands?) who have purchased these cards?

I'm a moderator on NZone, although I rarely moderate these days. When I was active there, I'd have guys tell me "This issue is HUGE! There are 20 guys in this thread who have it! There are some guys on other boards who have it!". Meanwhile, NVIDIA would tell me they'd sold 8,000 of those GPUs so far.

The other things is people would actually create multiple accounts on NZone and on other forums to "report the issue". Remember the big "bad batch of 8800GTs, as told by their reps" scare?

I did IP resolves on a guy whose writing style seemed similar to many others reporting the issue and found he had created over 10 accounts on Nzone to "confirm" the issue he reported. Then I Googled it, found he had done the same sort of thing on several other forums, pointed it out to their forum admins, and got him banned on those sites as well. Before doing any of this I talked to the people at the companies involved and verified the RMAs were in line with other launches and that their reps were not warning people about this issue.

There could be some 570s that have noisey caps in some conditions, maybe even mine and I just don't hear it over their fans and my case fans.

My point is there are people in the world who are really short on what I'd call "a life" and make it their hobby to try and defame/slander NVIDIA, and the anecdotal evidence and "big samples" you see on the internet forums include them in total. (sometimes many times)

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 06:49 AM   #27
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
The GTX 570 is THE best selling card in history!

It must be if Rollo has one.
I have two, one NVIDIA gave me, one I bought on newegg.

Rig 2:

[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Old 01-21-11, 06:56 AM   #28
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Still, 2x AA maxxed graphics is pretty high. Would it hurt so much to drop the quality a bit? I sold my two other monitors because I didn't need them and didn't like the bezels.

Nah not buying into anything. If I was buying into it I would own it, but I don't. All they have to do is update to DP.
If you had Eyefinity, did you try it on a single 6970? How did that work out? I think we both know that at 1080P monitors and up single GPU Eyefintity is a checkbox feature most wouldn't use due to them limits it would place on many new games.

And its mostly newer games that support resolutions above 25X16.

As far as their 3d goes, my point was that it this point in time in North America (no monitors for sale, 24fps limit on tvs and projectors at 1080P) it may as well not exist. I'd never heard of DDD till this announcement, and IZ3d drivers aren't exactly well reviewed. Their monitors sold so well they quit making them.

Rig 2:

Old 01-21-11, 03:31 PM   #29
XDanger
Whaaat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
I have two, one NVIDIA gave me, one I bought on newegg.
If NVidia gave me cards I'd say anything also

But that's just me maybe.

I've had to pay for all my graphics cards so value was more important than any other stuff like eyefinity and 3D.

If NVidia had lowered the price of a 570 a bit before Christmas I would have bought one.
Old 01-21-11, 03:40 PM   #30
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post

I've had to pay for all my graphics cards so value was more important than any other stuff like eyefinity and 3D.

If NVidia had lowered the price of a 570 a bit before Christmas I would have bought one.
BFT
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 03:50 PM   #31
onmikesline

I have a V1 and a V2 5870 in CF, they work great, yeah i know the 6's scale better but its still not a upgrade from the 5's
onmikesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 04:45 PM   #32
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
A handful of links on Google with some saying they over volted the card makes it common? Of the thousands (tens of thousands?) who have purchased these cards?

I'm a moderator on NZone, although I rarely moderate these days. When I was active there, I'd have guys tell me "This issue is HUGE! There are 20 guys in this thread who have it! There are some guys on other boards who have it!". Meanwhile, NVIDIA would tell me they'd sold 8,000 of those GPUs so far.

The other things is people would actually create multiple accounts on NZone and on other forums to "report the issue". Remember the big "bad batch of 8800GTs, as told by their reps" scare?

I did IP resolves on a guy whose writing style seemed similar to many others reporting the issue and found he had created over 10 accounts on Nzone to "confirm" the issue he reported. Then I Googled it, found he had done the same sort of thing on several other forums, pointed it out to their forum admins, and got him banned on those sites as well. Before doing any of this I talked to the people at the companies involved and verified the RMAs were in line with other launches and that their reps were not warning people about this issue.

There could be some 570s that have noisey caps in some conditions, maybe even mine and I just don't hear it over their fans and my case fans.

My point is there are people in the world who are really short on what I'd call "a life" and make it their hobby to try and defame/slander NVIDIA, and the anecdotal evidence and "big samples" you see on the internet forums include them in total. (sometimes many times)
Why don't you go ahead and IP resolve me

I have spoken with a couple of different techs over at EVGA while trying to fix this issue and I have spent a fair amount of additional money ensuring that all other items in my setup were resolved, including clean power delivery to my system. The tech himself said he has heard of multiple issues with different cards with coil whine and went through the standard steps to trouble-shoot with me.

At this point I am probably just going to go ahead and step-up to the 580 SC as I haven't heard many horror stories there, but MY point is, this is not a basic issue. It is a little more than that. Considering that 2 separate cards have exhibited the exact same issue in my system and the exact same whine can be heard in videos and sound clips online from many users, I would say it is far from anecdotal evidence.

BTW, the 8800 failure-rate was indeed high. Go ask any OEM's who were working on resolving returns. Also check with them about Nvidia IGP's (look up baking cards).

I love the PERFORMANCE of the card and I do enjoy Physx and other items. It is definitely superior to most other cards on the market and great value, but please don't insult my intelligence by insinuating that I don't have a "life" and I am making stuff up, like the others you accuse (guilty by association).

Fwiw, the noise only occurs under load (which is why most people would not hear it, as they are gaming or whatever), and it is not very loud but, it is incredibly high-pitched and annoying as hell.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-11, 05:58 PM   #33
Ninja Prime

Clearly Sazar is biased because he bought 2 NV cards and is upgrading to 2 more NV cards only to mock them. Such a devious bastard!
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 06:11 PM   #34
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Why don't you go ahead and IP resolve me

I have spoken with a couple of different techs over at EVGA while trying to fix this issue and I have spent a fair amount of additional money ensuring that all other items in my setup were resolved, including clean power delivery to my system. The tech himself said he has heard of multiple issues with different cards with coil whine and went through the standard steps to trouble-shoot with me.

At this point I am probably just going to go ahead and step-up to the 580 SC as I haven't heard many horror stories there, but MY point is, this is not a basic issue. It is a little more than that. Considering that 2 separate cards have exhibited the exact same issue in my system and the exact same whine can be heard in videos and sound clips online from many users, I would say it is far from anecdotal evidence.

BTW, the 8800 failure-rate was indeed high. Go ask any OEM's who were working on resolving returns. Also check with them about Nvidia IGP's (look up baking cards).

I love the PERFORMANCE of the card and I do enjoy Physx and other items. It is definitely superior to most other cards on the market and great value, but please don't insult my intelligence by insinuating that I don't have a "life" and I am making stuff up, like the others you accuse (guilty by association).

Fwiw, the noise only occurs under load (which is why most people would not hear it, as they are gaming or whatever), and it is not very loud but, it is incredibly high-pitched and annoying as hell.
I wasn't trying to say anything about you at all.

I was saying that the guy who created more than 10 nZone accounts, and then did the same thing on other web sites, so he could post "I have this problem with my NVIDIA card" and then reply to himself pretending to be 10+ other people had no life.

In any case, if most people don't hear it, it wouldn't matter to me.

Rig 2:

Old 01-21-11, 06:19 PM   #35
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post

Why? Are you short on cash?

Rig 2:

Old 01-21-11, 06:41 PM   #36
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
I wasn't trying to say anything about you at all.

I was saying that the guy who created more than 10 nZone accounts, and then did the same thing on other web sites, so he could post "I have this problem with my NVIDIA card" and then reply to himself pretending to be 10+ other people had no life.

In any case, if most people don't hear it, it wouldn't matter to me.
Well, for what it's worth, whoever you are talking about has nothing to do with me because it has nothing to do with the 570 cards

I am not sure if this is something limited to the SC cards from EVGA or what, but it is what it is.

Like I said, I do like the card's performance. The noise is bothersome because I ran my system 24/7 for Folding. Now I cannot till I figure out whats up, but hopefully the upgrade will help. I am probably going to hang tight till mid-Feb or so and see if there are any new cards coming out from EVGA before stepping up.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote