Default Re: Samsung Vibrant finally getting Froyo 1/21/11

Custom ROMs > stock ROMs.

/Thread
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 08:49 PM   #3
betterdan

/Thread reopened

I hope this enables wi fi calling like they elude to in that article. I have a rough time getting a signal in this house and within a block of it outside too. Would be nice to be able to use wifi for calls.

Are you able to make wifi calls on your Captivate with the custom Froyo roms DD?
Old 01-20-11, 08:57 PM   #4
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
/Thread reopened

I hope this enables wi fi calling like they elude to in that article. I have a rough time getting a signal in this house and within a block of it outside too. Would be nice to be able to use wifi for calls.

Are you able to make wifi calls on your Captivate with the custom Froyo roms DD?
No.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 09:00 PM   #5
betterdan

Hmm well it seems Tmobile Samsung Vibrant update rom > Captivate custom roms

/Thread

Old 01-21-11, 12:54 PM   #6
betterdan

Word is that you need to do the update through kiesmini. Will try it when I get home.
Others are reporting on Tmobile forums that the gps locks a little better and the wifi calling works.
Old 01-21-11, 09:26 PM   #7
betterdan

Got it installed via minikies and it's nice. Wifi calling is wonderful for me since its hard to get a cell signal in the house. Haven't fully tested the gps yet but the compass works a lot better. Flash works and the speed of the phone has increased.
They now have a little tab slider that appears when clicking on text so it makes it easier to select text (I hated trying to select text before). You can also share your internet connection and tethering is an option.
The only negatives I've found are that the Avatar movie that was on the phone as a bonus now doesn't work. It says it is locked and asks you if you want to unlock it but after selecting yes, nothing happens. Someone on the Tmobile site said to do a reboot but it didn't help. Many are complaining of the same problem on the forums.
Also the option to leave the phone display on all the time during charging is gone. Not sure if this was a Froyo thing or just Tmobile but that blows. I liked the disdplay to be on all the time while it was hooked to the charger.
Finally the Samsung desk home and car home don't work right anymore. Desk home gets an error on start up and car homelets the screen turn off then when you turn it back on the program is closed. I also tried opening

All in all though a great update.
Old 01-21-11, 10:12 PM   #8
betterdan

From the Samsung support page:

Other Questions

•After I installed the update, I can no longer access the Avatar movie as I receive "File Locked" message. What can I do?
•The license will need to be reacquired. You may need to backup information as a reset will erase all device data. A full reset will need to be performed by dialing *2767*3855#. The device will restart afterwards. After a few minutes has passed, you should be able to play back the movie.
http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/...0&AT_ID=341559

That sucks ass. So you have to fully reset your phone to get avatar playable again.

Old 01-21-11, 10:32 PM   #9
betterdan

Car Home and screen going off when plugged in have been solved by downloading an app called widgetsoid2.x which allows you to make the screen stay on all the time while under power other than the battery.
Old 01-22-11, 01:05 AM   #10
betterdan

Fully reset phone and Avatar is working again.
Old 01-22-11, 09:02 AM   #11
betterdan

Email notification sounds not working now with this update.
Old 01-22-11, 05:38 PM   #12
betterdan

Found another problem but after messing with it I finally figured out the solution.
Me and some others on Tmobiles forum were having problems sending pic messagges. We would get a server error message. After messing with it I found it doesn't like you to have any parenthesis or dashes in your phone numbers. Before the update I had dashes in my contacts phone numbers. After deleting the dashes it's working fine with pic messages again.

Only problem now is the Android email program won't play notification sounds but on the Tmobile forum it is said this is probably a problem with the build.
Also others are stating Samsung Desk Home isn't working at all and they have bought the docks that were meant to be used with the Home dock app so I bet they are pissed.