Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-27-11, 04:38 PM   #1
eltdesign

Angry When will we get *working* driver from nvidia?

Yes when will be get working driver for latest Xorg KDE especially for fedora? I want old speedy desktop again. 2d slow and no 3d desktop effects.

I`m using latest 270 beta driver it is worst than previous one. when working with multible windows, tabs xorg uses %45-100 cpu and system totally unusable... when closing some of windows its going to back normal but not too long..

I`m on Fedora 14 x86_64 with Geforce 8500gt sonic card. Need real solution..
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (2.7 KB, 74 views)
eltdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 01:39 AM   #2
Licaon

Default Re: When will we get *working* driver from nvidia?

read this first: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678 and provide the log
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 02:06 AM   #3
weltall

probably you've some mess with the drivers (like mixes) which conflict each other. your issue is a bit too big to not have been noticed by everyone around since a long while so really the bugreport would help, you might also want to use your distribution packages and/or be sure to check you don't have some strange mix of nouveau and nvidia official drivers/kernel modules
weltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 07:41 AM   #4
eltdesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltall View Post
probably you've some mess with the drivers (like mixes) which conflict each other. your issue is a bit too big to not have been noticed by everyone around since a long while so really the bugreport would help, you might also want to use your distribution packages and/or be sure to check you don't have some strange mix of nouveau and nvidia official drivers/kernel modules
Maybe old fixes also effect new drivers but I disabled most... nouveue also blacklisted.. I want performance so I use official drivers most... do you have some optimized xorg.conf sets for latest driver ? I created one with nvidia-xconf.
Old 01-28-11, 08:44 AM   #5
weltall

well mine start with a missing file and i just tell the nvidia installer to create it. attach the file generated by nvidia-bug-report.sh
Old 01-28-11, 09:38 AM   #6
eltdesign

here is bug report output..
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (77.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 01-28-11, 09:54 AM   #7
Licaon

try to delete "1600x1200" from /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Quote:
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 10:49 AM   #8
eltdesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
try to delete "1600x1200" from /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

is it effect something ? that is modes I use 1280*1024

also do you can use desktop-effects built-in and compiz ? My one automatic disabled due technical issues cant use it..

My new xorg.conf attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.confnew.txt (1.7 KB, 60 views)

Old 01-28-11, 05:42 PM   #9
dtor

Quote:
probably you've some mess with the drivers (like mixes) which conflict each other. your issue is a bit too big to not have been noticed by everyone around since a long while
OK, here it goes. KDE + Nvidia's binary driver in _unbearably_ slow for anything but watching flash and has been like that for about 1.5 years. This is with Quadro NVS 135M, no desktop effects. I am seeing 1-2 second delays when switching virtual desktops, minimizing/opening new windows, etc. It gets better for a bit if I switch to text console and back but in 20-30 min it slows down again. This is when I am using external monitor @1600x1200.

Surprisingly I do not see any such issues when I am using laptop at home (LVDS @1440x900). I am unsure if it is secondary monitor that slows it down so much or the size of the desktop.

Nouveau does not exibit such behavior but unfortunately last time I tried it could not do PM so it was getting quite hot and also it locked up the chip quite often (not the whole box, just nvidia chip).

So yes, people do see such issues.
dtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 04:39 AM   #10
weltall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtor View Post
OK, here it goes. KDE + Nvidia's binary driver in _unbearably_ slow for anything but watching flash and has been like that for about 1.5 years. This is with Quadro NVS 135M, no desktop effects. I am seeing 1-2 second delays when switching virtual desktops, minimizing/opening new windows, etc. It gets better for a bit if I switch to text console and back but in 20-30 min it slows down again. This is when I am using external monitor @1600x1200.

Surprisingly I do not see any such issues when I am using laptop at home (LVDS @1440x900). I am unsure if it is secondary monitor that slows it down so much or the size of the desktop.

Nouveau does not exibit such behavior but unfortunately last time I tried it could not do PM so it was getting quite hot and also it locked up the chip quite often (not the whole box, just nvidia chip).

So yes, people do see such issues.
he talks of no 3d support it means the glx module is not working correctly quite different than your problem.
Old 01-29-11, 12:36 PM   #11
eltdesign

so how to load it correctly? My previous xorg.conf has glx module section too..

Quote:
he talks of no 3d support it means the glx module is not working correctly quite different than your problem.
Old 01-31-11, 03:29 PM   #12
mdeggers

I'm running an older system (2.67 P4, overclocked 7600GS) with Fedora 14 (obviously 32 bit), KDE 4.5.5-1, and have the standard desktop effects enabled for a 1680x1050x24 bit screen.

I'm running the 260.19.36 driver, since I haven't taken time to downgrade Cairo and test the rendering fixes with the 270 beta driver.

Xorg + KWin eats about 4-6 percent of my CPU when things are reasonably idle.

Windows are normally pretty snappy (OK - as much as can be with this system), videos play smoothly (except for flash which is a pig), and I can get work done reasonably well.

A few things I have found out on running NVidia drivers with Fedora.

1. When upgrading or reinstalling drivers, you have to manually clean up.

Apparently the NVidia uninstaller thinks that libraries and executables have been locally modified, so they won't be deleted. If you upgrade your driver, you may have old libraries lying around. After every reinstall (for kernel, X, mesa-gl, screen savers), I go through /var/log/nvidia-installer.log with grep /usr to find remaining files. I then create a manual remove script to clean things up.

2. Tweak SELinux settings on some files

I haven't checked the post-install instructions for a while, so this may no longer be necessary. I run a post-install script which grants text relocation privileges (ugh) to a set of files. I can provide that list if interested.

Since this is an old AGP card (for an old AGP system) I also have the following in /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia (soft-linked to nvidia.conf)

options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1 NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1

The resulting system is reasonably usable.
mdeggers is offline   Reply With Quote