Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-29-11, 09:20 PM   #1
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Default Post 3 of your favorite "unknown" PC games

Post three of your favorite games that some might not have heard of because of either bad advertising or just because the game slipped through the cracks. If possible, include a quick description of why you like it so much

Tygerwoody's Top 3 "Unknown" PC Games:

Sacrifice:
One of the best RTS games I've ever played. Completely unique gameplay. One of my top 5 games of all time. The game was advertised horrible so it never really panned out. However, the game is top notch.

Dungeon Runners:
Guild Wars style MMO that basically combined different aspects of different action RPG and MMORPGs . The game was only "live" for about 2-3 years before it was shut down due to lack of funds. Still a fantastic game. Only game to ever satisfy my urge of "diablo 2" style gameplay.

Lead and Gold:
This little jewel is a Westernized Team Fortress 2 that is action packed and the perfect FPS game to play if you just want to "kill something" after a long day of work. Its got its fair share of server select bugs and lag issues for particular video cards(ATI of course) which has resulted in the game not being popular at all. Great game though. Definitely worth trying out.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 09:41 PM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: Post 3 of your favorite "unknown" PC games

Drakan & Drakan 2
Zelda type gameplay but instead of a gay horse you get a dragon. Large worlds to explore and a good story.

First Game:

PS2 Sequel:

System Shock 2
Deus Ex may have come first but System Shock 2 did it better. Atmosphere was awesome and the gameplay offered tons of replay.

Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption
Everyone knows of the sequel but not many know of the awesome game that came prior to it that offered a totally different gameplay experience.

Old 01-30-11, 01:15 AM   #3
Viral
Registered User of Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Drakan & Drakan 2
Zelda type gameplay but instead of a gay horse you get a dragon. Large worlds to explore and a good story.
Mmm yes I loved the original Drakan on PC. It was a pretty impressive game for the time. The dragon flight was really well done and the environments really nice.

Knights and Merchants

The combat was somewhat flawed, but the town building aspect was very well done for the time. I spent hours building towns only to be pissed off when I eventually had to defend them from the enemy. I just want to build god damn it! I recently thought Anno 1440 might fill my fix for this type of game, but the building system wasn't quite as good.

Impreium Galactica II

Same thing but in a space colonization game. Although the building was limited, I loved colonizing planets and terraforming them etc. What I hated was the battles! The space battles were simple enough, but when they dropped tanks on to your planet it annoyed me. I also tried to get a fix for this type of game recently with Sins of a Solar Empire. Which had great space battles, but no actual colonizing of planets! Sure, you have to add defences, living areas, mining capabilites to the planets you colonized, but no actual going down to the planet surface and building

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 08:41 AM   #4
JohnEJohn
Who ate all the pies??

Giants Citizen Kabuto

Discworld 1

MDK 2

|DFI UT x48 T2R | Intel Q9550 @ 3.85 GHz| Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme HSF| 4GB Pc-9200 reaper | |2* 5850 Toxic 1000/1300 | XFI Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro | 8* Raptors in Raid arrays (Raid 0) | 2* LG DVD±RW| |PSU 880W Quad Rail | 24" Dell LCD| Win7 x64 | Logitech z5300 5.1 Surround Sound| Logitech G9 and G15 |

JohnEJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 01:41 PM   #5
HiCZoK4

oohhh god Kabuto was hilarious. great old game
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 02:25 PM   #6
Hercules

Citizen Kabuto and Sacrifice. Fantastic games and on my all time favourites top.
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 10:51 PM   #7
Section-9
Pixel Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Section-9

'95 was awesome!

The Residents: Bad Day on the Midway
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure...result;title;0

The Dark Eye
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure...ry;read-review

Descent (maybe not so much unknown, but worth mentioning)
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/de...result;title;7

| Cooler Master HAF 932| AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.2GHz |Zalman CNPS9900ALED 120mm Blue LED | Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 (rev. 2.0) |G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 |LG 10X Blu-ray Burner |
Crucial SSD (2x64GB) Raid 0 + WD Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair TX850w | 2x Evga GTX 580's SuperClocked (SC) 1.5GB in SLI | Dell 24'' (1080p) |
Razer Carcharias | Klipsch 2.1 speakers | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 |Saitek Cyborg keyboard | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Gaming mouse |

Laptop:

| Alienware M14x | Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) |Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz | 8GB RAM DDR3 | 750GB 7200rpm | Hybrid Intel HD Graphics 3000 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M |14" WLED HD display (1366 x 768) |
Section-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 01:18 AM   #8
johnkeel105

Shattered Horizon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd-2dZMDAGw

Good for testing out the fancy video card many of you have and I liked the game quite well.

Hidden and Dangerous 2 & Sabre Squadron Expansion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct1mC...eature=related

A great WW2 tactical game,had some bugs but many have been fixed by the last patch. Includes character/loadout customization, bullet holes in bodies, and rag doll all before all major games included them. Last time I checked it still has a small tight community that plays it.

Jetpack and Raptor: Call of the Shadows

I really couldn't decide, two of the first games I remember playing as a little kid, many may have missed these DOS classics. Yeah they may have been really popular back in the day, they certainly are not right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBVyY...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHi-hwI3l0Q

Thats about all I could think of, hopefully someone finds some interest in these!

Gaming Computer:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.2GHz | GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 | OCZ Reaper HPC (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 | 1024MB Nvidia Geforce 550Ti | Western Digital 750 GB SATA HD | Western Digital 500GB SATA HD | Visiontek Killer 2100 | Creative Xi Fi Fata1ity | Ultra X3 600 Watt ATX Power Supply | Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Windows 8 Rig:
AMD Phenom 9750 | 2x1024MB PC-6400 DDR2 | Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX+ | Seagate 80GB ATA HD |17" Samsung | Windows 8 Preview 32-bit

Gaming Laptop:
AMD Phenom II X4 N970 | 2x4096MB DDR3 | AMD Radeon HD 6650M 1GB DDR3 VRAM | OCZ Solid State HardDrive | Killer 2100 Wireless N | 15.6 HD LED LCD | Blu-ray Drive | Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Ubuntu 11.04

|DOS| Clan Recruiting for COD:BO, FH2, World of Tanks, & KF http://dosclan.us
johnkeel105 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-11, 03:45 AM   #9
Bah!

Should change the title to "old" games because "unknown" doesn't fit half the titles being mentioned here. Games like VampireTM, System Shock 2, GiantsCK, MDK, Descent, etc. are all pretty well known.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 06:38 AM   #10
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkeel105 View Post
Hidden and Dangerous 2 & Sabre Squadron Expansion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct1mC...eature=related

A great WW2 tactical game,had some bugs but many have been fixed by the last patch. Includes character/loadout customization, bullet holes in bodies, and rag doll all before all major games included them. Last time I checked it still has a small tight community that plays it.
Great game. Even though Hidden and Dangerous 1 was better imo
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 09:48 AM   #11
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
Should change the title to "old" games because "unknown" doesn't fit half the titles being mentioned here. Games like VampireTM, System Shock 2, GiantsCK, MDK, Descent, etc. are all pretty well known.
QFT! Was just thinking that. I still have almost all these games on CD in my closet somewhere.

Speaking of old, I was perusing Abandonia the other day and found a few old gems I loved when I was a kid:

Super Solvers: Midnight Rescue!
Raptor
Airborne Ranger (this game is hard as hell)
edit: Oh and Terminal Velocity, was an awesome game

By the way anyone know of a way to get TIE Fighter Collector's Edition (not the crappy '95 version, the one with the original iMuse music) to work on Windows 7? Either the sound is messed up or my joystick doesn't get detected properly.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 09:52 AM   #12
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
I think he mention unknown as games that weren't commercial success.