Old 02-01-11, 10:34 AM   #1
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf
Default Considering Watercooling

Looking to cool CPU + 2 480's with the following gear:

XSPC Rasa RX360 Water Cooling Kit

XSPC RX240 Radiator

EK-FC480 GTX Waterblocks x2

Bitspower G1/4 Black Diamond 1/2 ID Fittings x6 (For the GPU Waterblocks and extra Rad)

Spare Tubing 1/2 ID 1 metre

CoolerMaster 120mm SickleFlow (For the 2nd Rad)

Swiftech HydrX Coolant x2

Total Price with shipping: $521 AUD

Seeing as I'm new to this, and still doing my research at the moment, are there any suggestions or changes I can make? The price of the XSPC RX360 kit made me intrigued, and I'm after reducing fan noise over cooling at the moment. Also very limited in choices outside of paying for imports and import tax on computer hardware.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 12:27 PM   #2
XDanger
Whaaat?

Default Re: Considering Watercooling

Buy quieter graphics cards (swap them for a GTX590) and quieter fans for your megahalems

unhelpful sorry but this is my feeling on water cooling, You'll still need fans for it and you have 2 unnecessarily hot graphics cards in one loop I think the tubing might melt.

If the block is 2011 compatible then you have a point there but the blocks for the 480's is just throwing money away.
Old 02-01-11, 12:48 PM   #3
Roadhog
Resident Alien

basically, You need at least a 360 rad for the gpus, and at least a 240 for cpu.

Id skip the kit though and buy a decent pump and res.

Also, distilled water with a silver kill coil makes the best coolant.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 08:01 AM   #4
WeReWoLf

Can't purchase Silver Coils in Australia from the looks of it, So importing it will be.

As to the 480 Blocks not being worth it? I can't see myself upgrading GPU's for another year at the very least.
Old 02-02-11, 08:28 AM   #5
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeReWoLf View Post
Can't purchase Silver Coils in Australia from the looks of it, So importing it will be.

As to the 480 Blocks not being worth it? I can't see myself upgrading GPU's for another year at the very least.
I don't know why not really. Air cooled at 800/1600/1900 I never (literally) go above 64c while gaming. And I can't hear the cooler over the rest of my rig.

If you're dead set on spending the cash for water cooling, it would work out sweet.
Old 02-02-11, 10:50 AM   #6
Revs

I would avoid any kit unless it's got exactly what you want in it. The res (if you want a single loop) and the rads are fine, but I'm not sure about the pump or the CPU block. I'm using the 10w MCP350 pumps for both loops which seem to do fine, though the 18w MCP355 will give a slightly higher flow but are slightly noisier. I would go for a dual loop setup personally (obviously ). XSPC do a nice dual drive-bay, dual res setup which many dealers bundle with the pumps..

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/...at=1631&page=1

You'll need 3 meters of tubing. 1 litre of coolant for each loop. I would recommend some method of ensuring you're alerted to a pump or fan failure, or a setup which can shutdown you're rig if you leave it on while you're out and something goes wrong.

I managed with an RX360 (GPU's) and an RX120 (CPU) with them being a deep rad, but a RX240 is prolly best for the CPU if you have room.

CPU block wise, I went for the EK Supreme HF, but the Watercool Heatkiller Rev 3 is supposed to be good, too. I used EK GPU blocks, which are nice.

You'll need a lot more than 6 fittings, too. I think I used 18 in total.

One more thing; if you want a drain plug to make changing the coolant easier, don't forget to fit it
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 11:18 AM   #7
WeReWoLf

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
I don't know why not really. Air cooled at 800/1600/1900 I never (literally) go above 64c while gaming. And I can't hear the cooler over the rest of my rig.

If you're dead set on spending the cash for water cooling, it would work out sweet.
At 800/2100 on the 480's the top one will easily hit 90+c, the bottom one will occasionally hit 90+c... and this has been a rather mild summer for ambient temps. At stock speeds I'll see them usually around 85c - 89c, depending on how hard they're working of course.

@Revs

It's pretty easy to fit 2 separate loops in, the HAF X is a monster. The recommendation is the 360 rad for the 480's and the 240 for the CPU?
Old 02-02-11, 11:24 AM   #8
grey_1

Quote:
At 800/2100 on the 480's the top one will easily hit 90+c, the bottom one will occasionally hit 90+c... and this has been a rather mild summer for ambient temps. At stock speeds I'll see them usually around 85c - 89c, depending on how hard they're working of course.

@Revs

It's pretty easy to fit 2 separate loops in, the HAF X is a monster. The recommendation is the 360 rad for the 480's and the 240 for the CPU?
Yeah, I hit pretty high temps with the stock cooler on a single card too. I think it's a great card once your choice of cooling is installed. I'm running the Accelero Xtreme plus, which has been a god send on this thing. I'd love to water cool, but just don't want to spend the cash on a good loop right now.

Make sure you post pics after you do this.

Old 02-02-11, 11:29 AM   #9
Revs

Quote:
Yeah I'd say so. A 120 works fine but a 240 works better
Old 02-02-11, 04:12 PM   #10
Revs

Quote:
It's pretty easy to fit 2 separate loops in, the HAF X is a monster.
Just been checking out the case. It is indeed a monster, looks awesome, but I still can't see room internally for a 240 rad. A 360 in the top, yes, but only a 120 in the back. That would do fine, though.

Also, I recommend these fans for the rads. They're really good with static pressure and really quiet.
Old 02-02-11, 06:34 PM   #11
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
Just been checking out the case. It is indeed a monster, looks awesome, but I still can't see room internally for a 240 rad. A 360 in the top, yes, but only a 120 in the back. That would do fine, though.

Also, I recommend these fans for the rads. They're really good with static pressure and really quiet.
Is that what you use Revs? I've been looking at those for my case and HSF, but the -15s, not the 14s you linked. bit higher CFM. Pricey though.
Old 02-02-11, 06:52 PM   #12
Revs

It's what I use on the rads, not as case fans. CFM figures are less relevant with this application really. What are these -15s? You got a link? I've tried several fans and IMO fans with 8+ wide curved blades, 1000-1500RPM work best.

As it happens I've just ordered 3 of these to use as case fans.. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gelid...mance-case-fan

EDIT: I see the -15s are the 1850RPM ones Still good but I'd use a speed controller with those.