Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-03-11, 09:59 AM   #25
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!
 
Madpistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 4,554
Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: gtx590 release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
I'm smpoking the stuff that makes me able to see what the only reasonable recommandation is to a guy who is trying to run three 25X16 monitors. You're apparently smoking the stuff that makes you think 6970s are a good solution for a best of best rig that needs more VRAM than they actually have. I'll stick with my brand.
The 6970 scales better on higher resolutions for less money, especially in Crossfire. Period. End of discussion. Keep arguing about it. It doesn't change the facts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Let's not forget that your "evidence" used a NVIDIA card I wasn't recommending and you didn't realize NVIDIA cards exist that make the 2GB framebuffer on the 6970 seem small.
Really now? I'd love to take a poll and see how many people would get a 3GB GTX 580. Then I would love to show said people what you can get for $600. Even a pair of GTX 560 TI's in SLI would trounce it. Honestly, I don't understand why you keep using that example. It's pathetic really. Try using something that is actually endorsed by Nvidia... oh wait. 2 HD 6970's > 2 GTX 580 1.5GB cards. Guess that's why. Nothing Nvidia offers can compare without spending an extra $100 on said product.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Back when I used to read Driver Heaven, they were doing things like having contests to decide how to flamboyantly destroy high end NVIDIA cards to amuse the ATi fanboys who make up their readers.
On the top of their site is a banner that says "Click here to visit our AMD center!" Yeah, they are not biased.
Keep trying dude. Do you want me to go find every single Nvidia biased site? I bet there's a lot more of them. All you have to do is read the conclusion of a review to figure that one out. Kind of like what you keep writing...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Why would you care who I have press privileges with? In the context of this thread, your only concern should be whether my advice was valid. Given my links to VRAM usage at resolutions far below what the buyer has, it's pretty obvious it was. You yelling "But that core mated to 1.5GB of VRAM can be slower than an ATi card with 2GB of VRAM, those NVIDIA cards with 3GB are too expensive!" isn't helping. People willing to spend $3K on monitors aren't pinching pennies and making sacrifices.
It's not about making sacrifices, bud. Getting a couple of HD 6970's in crossfire isn't considered a sacrifice when it matches and exceeds performance of a couple cards that cost hundreds of dollars more. Fact. Your press privileges simply make you open to attack from somebody that actually lives in the real world, reads about other products, and is able to come up with a reasonable conclusion. In this case, that conclusion isn't as cut and paste as you would like it to be, so you fight about it. It's funny really.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
I'm not going to go into what my life is, but my guess is a most people would trade me.
Material goods doesn't dictate a good life. The fact that you troll these forums continuously proves that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Too bad you fail at the "logic". NVIDIA's reference design targets 99% of buyers and wins for them. For the person I was talking to, the 3GB version of the GTX580 is really the only option he has for best performance.
It only wins in single card performance, and the market they sell to doesn't include 99% of buyers. The segment that they sell to is a mid-high end segment where only about 10% of the market is held. AMD controls the segment below that. Steam's hardware survey confirms that.

As for single card performance, Nvidia wins. Of course, that's to be expected of a product that COSTS MORE! When you add a couple cards together, though, it gets matched and beaten by the cheaper solution. That's the nail in the proverbial coffin. Nvidia's hit a limit with their 1.5GB design GTX 580 at higher resolutions. It took OEM's adding an extra 1.5GB of memory and an extra $100 for them to overcome that limitation. What a mess.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
But we're not talking about their reference design. What's next from you- "The 6850 beats a GTX240 so he should buy that!"
As far as reference designs go, I'd take NVIDIA's PhysX, 3d Vision, new games launching with SLi profiles instead of waiting, and the ability to write my own profiles over ATi's ability to run 8X AA better at 57X10 on some games any day. ATi tries to follow in NVIDIA's footsteps with their high school science project 3d and by begging devs to use OpenVCL w/o their support, but fall short as always.
See, your title makes you susceptible to preference on the side of green. Got it. No need to go flaunting it around. Everybody already knows. The way I see it, I suggest a GTX 570 to anyone that's looking for a new card in that price range. Why? Because it performs better. As soon as you jump on a higher solution involving SLI or crossfire, my opinion changes to a couple HD 6950 2GB or HD 6970's. Why? Because it performs just as good or better than a couple GTX 580's. Again, Fact. Your arguments are somewhat convincing, but flawed. I can tell you're an intelligent person, but your stance makes people hate you, and it makes them take your recommendations with a grain of salt. When you get it right, people notice, and when you don't, crap like this thread happens. Keep it up.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Being one of two competitors doesn't mean you have a good product. ATi survives like their owner AMD does- they're cheap.
If cheap works, it works. It makes people buy their products. The fact that their products compete well with Nvidia doesn't mean they're cheap. I could call you cheap. Doesn't mean it's right. It's my opinion. The little club you belong to doesn't help your credibility in this situation. Throwing titles on companies that you consider "competition" hurts you a lot more than it helps.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
You see a lot more Kia's and Hyundai's on the road than BMW's and Lexus's- doesn;t mean they're better cars. (besides the fact ATi had a 7-8 month head start selling "DX11" cards that can barely run DX11.
Barely run DX11, you say? My 5870 runs DX11 titles just fine. There's no barely to it. And you're right, AMD got a massive head start on Nvidia in DX11, which is why they control the market at the moment. Fact. The better product has nothing to do with it. It's all about your position in the market. That little 2/3 of a year head start was Nvidia's biggest thorn. Not the product... the time it took for them to compete.

Your comments about Hyundai are pretty laughable, though. Hyundai is a respectable car manufacturer now. So is Samsung. Both are made in Korea. Funny how South Koreans are getting it right so often these days. If only Germany was that good on the electronics front.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
The guy I was talking to needs a 3GB card due to his native resolution, you keep ignoring this in your attempt to sell the KMart Blue Light special 6970. The waste of money would be if he listened to you and watched his video thrash as it ran out of VRAM.
So? If he were to buy a couple 6950 2GB or 6970's, it would be roughly the same price as a GTX 580 3GB, and it would perform better. Blue light special, eh? You mean you actually shop at Kmart? 10 points from Slytherin for that one. Decent analogy though. Too bad it's nothing but a half assed insult.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Not everyone has to pinch pennies, some people don't care about saving a couple hundred per card. I recommended the best solution, you've posted no evidence that 2GB is enough for 75X16. Your guess is irrelevant. Unless you can post benches that show 2GB is plenty for 75X16, your guesses mean nothing.
It's not about pinching pennies. It's about getting the best solution for the best money. In this case, AMD wins it. If you want to spend a ton of money on a solution that isn't as good, go for it. But the fact remains: it's not as good, especially when money is a factor. To some people it's not, but you don't always get what you pay for. AMD wins in high-end multi-card solutions. The fact that it costs less is simply icing on the cake.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
LOL you do love to go on and on and on. Sorry have to go be the team lead at a software company this morning, then I'm taking the afternoon off to enjoy my hobbies. Carry on yelling about "value!" to people who are talking about "best of best".
Here's some more of it too:

"Value dictates the market."
"Value dictates the market."
"Value dictates the market."
"Value dictates the market."
"Value dictates the market."


As soon as you swallow that pill of yours and admit that statement is correct, perhaps we can start moving you back to reality. It just so happens that in this case, the value solution wins. Therefore, I guess that makes the "value" the "best of best" as well. Thanks for pointing that out.


Now I remember why I don't reply to your comments. It always ends up wasting a lot of my time. What a joke. I'm going to go enjoy my life now, rather than trying to disprove the spinach you seem to regurgitate in this section of the forums.
__________________
http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/sig/deta...d%20Pistol.png


MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 11:34 AM   #26
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: gtx590 release?

I'm sure Slawter will get the 3gb cards since they will be perfect for him.

But, to say that the 6970s will fall on it's face at that res is just silly.
I have no problem running everything maxed with 2x SSAA on my resolution(2560x1440).

2560 x 2 = 5120
1440 x 2 = 2880
5120 x 1440 = 14.74MP

2560 x 3 = 7680
7680 x 1600 = 12.28MP

So, the Resolution I am rendering at is 2.46MP higher.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 01:04 PM   #27
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: gtx590 release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
No need to get into a flame war here guys.

I know what I want and that's 3 3GB 580s. Unfortunately that involves a new mainboard as well
AMD is simply out of question for me, it doesn't matter how good they scale and perform. iRacing, pretty much the only reason why I even boot the Gaming PC, runs perfectly good with SLI. Crossfire support is not there (yet). Plus I just had too many bad Crossfire experiences. I maybe start my PC 2-3 times a week so I just want it to work and not deal with annoying AMD issues like I had to when I last used them. Can't say if I'd run into the same or similar problems again - I simply don't want to find that out


Aren't you concerned you will spend $5 a year more on electricity for your $8000 computer?!?!

Doesn't it matter to you that 6970s are cheaper for ATi to make?!?!?!

Your buying metrics of "most performance and memory I can get because my displays require a lot of graphics performance and memory" baffle me.


__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 11:30 PM   #28
Muppet
Registered User
 
Muppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,130
Default Re: gtx590 release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeljack12 View Post
if I were to buy amd, I would buy 1st gen dx11 amd (5870 2gb or 5970 4gb)or possibly a gtx 590. I don't like how there is less stream processors in gen 2 of amd along with less memory bandwidth. The higher clocks aren't making up for it. I thought that a new generations of cards are supposed to supercede the last. Why amd is taking a step back would make me a little worried that they can't outdo themselves. All nvidia does is make things faster and more efficent in their next gen, that's all. Yes, the gtx 580 is premium priced, but premium cards deserve their value for what they can do.
The new ATI cards are much much better at Tessellation. I have a feeling that will be one of the next big things. It makes a big difference, but is hard on the GPU. The 5 series sucks compared to the new 6 series at that. Otherwise the 5970 (if it is still in production) is still the fastest single card out there. Although a couple of 6950's unlocked and in crossfire would probably rape it.
__________________
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 11:36 PM   #29
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!
 
Madpistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 4,554
Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: gtx590 release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
The new ATI cards are much much better at Tessellation. I have a feeling that will be one of the next big things. It makes a big difference, but is hard on the GPU. The 5 series sucks compared to the new 6 series at that. Otherwise the 5970 (if it is still in production) is still the fastest single card out there. Although a couple of 6950's unlocked and in crossfire would probably rape it.
Yea. A couple 6950 2GB cards, unlocked or not, would beat a 5970 easily at higher resolutions. At lower res, and on DX9 or 10, I'm not so sure. Remember That each of those 6950's have double the framebuffer than the 5970 has, and they use that extra memory very well.

And you're right about Tessellation. The 68 and 69 series are superior compared to the 5800's for tessellation.

Also, Rollo, you're on my ignore list. I'm tired of reading your green garbage. I didn't come here to entertain trolls.
__________________
http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/sig/deta...d%20Pistol.png


MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 01:27 AM   #30
Muppet
Registered User
 
Muppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,130
Default Re: gtx590 release?

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/7...e-gtx-590.html

Last weeks we repored about graphics circuit maker NVIDIA working on the launch of its new flagship GeForce GTX 590. With 1024 CUDA cores and dual GF110 graphics circuit it is an extreme graphics card demanding a lot from the other component, where NVIDIA only uses the finest of its GPU samples and availability will be limited.

NVIDIA had a successful launch of GeForce GTX 580 where it knocked down AMD with the new GF110 GPU that with high performance and relatively reasonable power consumption took over as the king of the market. AMD couldn't counter with a single Cayman GPU, but it still has the fastest card around with its dual-GPU Radeon HD 5970.

AMD's plan was to maintain this, for PR mostly, trump with the launch of Radeon HD 6990 "Antilles" sporting dual Cayman circuits, but NVIDIA's plan is to crash the party through an unsuspected launch of a Fermi-based graphics card with dual GPUs.

As we revealed we will be dealing with fully featured GF110 circuits with 512 CUDA active cores each. To make sure the graphics card won't go above any power consumption specifications NVIDIA has had to turn down both voltages and clock frequencies, but it has also starting sorting out the circuits at TSMC where the finest GF110 samples are removed from the belt and put on line for the flagship GeForce GTX 590.

NVIDIA wants the GF110 circuits with the least leakage to maximize the clock frequencies without power consumption skyrocketing. It comes as no surprise that GeForce GTX 590 will be in limited supply. NVIDIA has no hopes of making any real money from this monster card, but it sees an opening to whip AMD and launch what it could call the fastest card in the world - no bars.

NVIDIA's reasoning is most likely that the positive PR is going to boost sales overall.
__________________
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 01:36 AM   #31
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!
 
Madpistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 4,554
Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: gtx590 release?

Good find muppet. I'm looking forward to the dual card solutions from both camps. Sucks that they're turning the clocks and voltages down, but I guess they don't have a choice on that one. But geeze, two fully active GF110 cores on a single card?!?!?!? That's going to be one hot cookie.
__________________
http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/sig/deta...d%20Pistol.png


MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 01:41 AM   #32
Muppet
Registered User
 
Muppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,130
Default Re: gtx590 release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
Good find muppet. I'm looking forward to the dual card solutions from both camps. Sucks that they're turning the clocks and voltages down, but I guess they don't have a choice on that one. But geeze, two fully active GF110 cores on a single card?!?!?!? That's going to be one hot cookie.
Yeah I too can't wait for both camps to release there dual GPU monsters. Seeing as i'm looking to build another PC for Lans. I will put in one of these two cards. I haven't had an ATi card since my 9700pro(awesome card it was to) So i'm totally open to which way I go.

It's so good to have a choice
__________________
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-11, 02:06 AM   #33
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!
 
Madpistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 4,554
Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: gtx590 release?

Oh yes. With the way both groups are scaling in Crossfire/SLI, it's anyone's guess which one will be faster. Choice is what drives this market, and I love it!
__________________
http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/sig/deta...d%20Pistol.png


MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 02:14 AM   #34
Muppet
Registered User
 
Muppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,130
Default Re: gtx590 release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
Oh yes. With the way both groups are scaling in Crossfire/SLI, it's anyone's guess which one will be faster. Choice is what drives this market, and I love it!
So true and with both cards around the high end of the TDP, it is anyones guess which will be faster. Good times ahead in the world of GPU's.
__________________
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 03:24 AM   #35
Ninja Prime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,263
Default Re: gtx590 release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
So true and with both cards around the high end of the TDP, it is anyones guess which will be faster. Good times ahead in the world of GPU's.
The answer is fairly obvious. Both being limited by a 300w TDP, the company with the better perf/watt chip will be faster. ATI is ahead in that metric by something like 30-40%.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 03:39 AM   #36
Muppet
Registered User
 
Muppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,130
Default Re: gtx590 release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
The answer is fairly obvious. Both being limited by a 300w TDP, the company with the better perf/watt chip will be faster. ATI is ahead in that metric by something like 30-40%.
The thing is, no one knows at this stage which will be faster. You can surmise that the ATI part will be (and it might) But we will know soon enough if both cards are almost ready for market.
__________________
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.