Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-03-11, 01:42 AM   #1
gotliebk

Default Another NO HDMI AUDIO thread

I've read just about every thread I can find on this topic here and on FedoraForums so I hope it's finally safe to breakdown and ask for help. nvidia buglog is attached with all the details but here are the high points.

System: new Shuttle XS35GT with an ION 2 GPU and Intel Atom D510 processor
I'm running the FC14 x86_64
ALSA 1.0.24
NVIDIA 260,19,29
Alll downloaded via RPM manager in Gnome.
Nouveau is blacklisted in dmesg

The standard Intel HDA stereo output works but the HDMI audio does not and never has.
speaker-test -c6 -twav -Dplughw:0,0 :works on the Intel standard stereo out
speaker-test -c6 -twav -Dplughw:2,3 :runs without error but no sound is produced on the HDMI card.

I've tested the HDMI cable with my laptop and the sound works fine using Win 7.

If my problem is obvious from the attachment please let me know. If it isn't, I have some questions that may be relevant.

1. /proc/asound/modules lists the snd_hda_intel codec twice. Is this normal?
0 snd_hda_intel
1 snd_usb_audio
2 snd_hda_intel <--- This card is my nvidia card. Shouldn't it use it's own codec?

2. alsamixer shows four S/PDIF outputs for the nVidia card. I can mute/unmute these outputs but I cannot select any volume higher than 00. I can select volumes for the Intel card. Is this normal?

3. PulseAudio comes with FC14. I've read other similar threads where it was the root cause of their problem. Do I need/want it? What's the best way to ditch it.

I don't have an AV receiver. I'm just trying to get stereo output from my 50" Samsung Plasma via HDMI. Any help/suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (49.2 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by gotliebk; 02-03-11 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Buglog seems to be missing.
gotliebk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 03:31 AM   #2
leigh123linux

Default Re: Another NO HDMI AUDIO thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotliebk View Post
I've read just about every thread I can find on this topic here and on FedoraForums so I hope it's finally safe to breakdown and ask for help. nvidia buglog is attached with all the details but here are the high points.

System: new Shuttle XS35GT with an ION 2 GPU and Intel Atom D510 processor
I'm running the FC14 x86_64
ALSA 1.0.24
NVIDIA 260,19,29
Alll downloaded via RPM manager in Gnome.
Nouveau is blacklisted in dmesg

The standard Intel HDA stereo output works but the HDMI audio does not and never has.
speaker-test -c6 -twav -Dplughw:0,0 :works on the Intel standard stereo out
speaker-test -c6 -twav -Dplughw:2,3 :runs without error but no sound is produced on the HDMI card.

I've tested the HDMI cable with my laptop and the sound works fine using Win 7.

If my problem is obvious from the attachment please let me know. If it isn't, I have some questions that may be relevant.

1. /proc/asound/modules lists the snd_hda_intel codec twice. Is this normal?
0 snd_hda_intel
1 snd_usb_audio
2 snd_hda_intel <--- This card is my nvidia card. Shouldn't it use it's own codec?

2. alsamixer shows four S/PDIF outputs for the nVidia card. I can mute/unmute these outputs but I cannot select any volume higher than 00. I can select volumes for the Intel card. Is this normal?

3. PulseAudio comes with FC14. I've read other similar threads where it was the root cause of their problem. Do I need/want it? What's the best way to ditch it.

I don't have an AV receiver. I'm just trying to get stereo output from my 50" Samsung Plasma via HDMI. Any help/suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
There is no volume control for s/pdif outputs, this is normal.
I don't think ditching pulseaudio is a solution as removing it will cause other issues.

Did you try this thread?

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...highlight=hdmi

Code:
[leigh@localhost ~]$ cat /proc/asound/modules
 0 snd_hda_intel
 1 snd_hda_intel
[leigh@localhost ~]$
Try this

Code:
amixer -c 2 sset 'IEC958' unmute;amixer -c 2 sset 'IEC958',1 unmute;amixer -c 2 sset 'IEC958',2 unmute;amixer -c 2 sset 'IEC958',3 unmute
speaker-test -c6 -twav -Dplughw:2,7
Old 02-03-11, 04:53 PM   #3
Stephen Warren

Instead of -Dplughw:2,3, use -Dplughw:2,7. That should fix it.

As background, please see my recent thread pointing at HDMI audio documentation

NVIDIA GPUs expose a standard HD-Audio/Azalia codec, hence why it uses the same driver as your HD-Audio analog sound card.

The audio outputs only support mute/unmute, no volume controls since they're digital outs.

PulseAudio shouldn't be causing you any problems.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 11:36 PM   #4
gotliebk

Thanks to Stephen and leigh123linux I now have stereo sound over my HDMI cable. Awesome!

Maybe one of you can shed some light on why I needed to create an entry in my asound.conf file to make this work. The Gnome desktop sound app sees and lets you select the hdmi card but does not make the sound work. I simply had to add the following to my asound.conf file.

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 2
device 7
}

What forum should I report this problem too? Gnome? Fedora?

I actually encountered this problem on a botched (my fault) install of FC13 and got nowhere after 10 hours of trying. Frustrated, I started over with a clean FC14 and only spent a few hours hacking on it before making this post. All told, it probably took 15-18 hours of trying to get the audio working the way I wanted it. How can I help save others this problem?

Thanks again to you both.
gotliebk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 03:35 AM   #5
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotliebk View Post
Thanks to Stephen and leigh123linux I now have stereo sound over my HDMI cable. Awesome!

Maybe one of you can shed some light on why I needed to create an entry in my asound.conf file to make this work. The Gnome desktop sound app sees and lets you select the hdmi card but does not make the sound work. I simply had to add the following to my asound.conf file.

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 2
device 7
}

What forum should I report this problem too? Gnome? Fedora?

I actually encountered this problem on a botched (my fault) install of FC13 and got nowhere after 10 hours of trying. Frustrated, I started over with a clean FC14 and only spent a few hours hacking on it before making this post. All told, it probably took 15-18 hours of trying to get the audio working the way I wanted it. How can I help save others this problem?

Thanks again to you both.
Try filing a bugreport against alsa here

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bu...product=Fedora

I don't believe the F13 kernel had a new enough alsa-driver to work with your card.
leigh123linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 11:42 AM   #6
Stephen Warren

I recently posted a sticky thread with documentation of HDMI audio. This may answer some of your questions.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 12:20 PM   #7
DeiF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
I recently posted a sticky thread with documentation of HDMI audio. This may answer some of your questions.
Btw, I found that document before you made the announcement, went through it, and fixed my HDMI sound.
I'm writing this only to give you a BIG THANKS.

You are the man.
DeiF is offline   Reply With Quote