Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-03-11, 10:27 AM   #1
rdeger

Default HP Z600 (2x Quadro FX580) crash with 4 screens, cursor flickering between screens

We have 16 HP Z600 Workstations with 2 Quadro FX580 graphic cards running on OpenSUSE 11.3 showing the same problem.

We use 4 HP TFT Displays, connected to the Display port connectors. X and the window manager is running fine and mostly when the screens gets dark (power save) and you wake up them by triggering the mouse the graphical environment freezes while showing a flickering mouse.

The mouse is flickering between two of the four screens, connected to the first graphic card.

This can also happen by waking up the system on pressing a key (but it looks like then it is not happening that often) or just by working on the system (that happens not very often).

I can log onto the machine via ssh, showing an XServer (Xorg) running at 100%.

The X.org log show the following messages:
Quote:
[ 5994.406] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): HP LA2205 (DFP-3): Failed to set DisplayPort power state
[ 5994.540] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): HP LA2205 (DFP-4): Failed to set DisplayPort power state
[ 5994.690] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-1): HP LA2205 (DFP-3): Failed to set DisplayPort power state
[ 5994.822] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-1): HP LA2205 (DFP-4): Failed to set DisplayPort power state
I tried Driver Versions:

- 256.35-15
- 270.18 BETA

All showing the same Problem, see attached bug report running BETA driver.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (46.2 KB, 70 views)
rdeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 11:30 AM   #2
Fackamato
User

Default Re: HP Z600 (2x Quadro FX580) crash with 4 screens, cursor flickering between screens

Perhaps you could try some Live distro running a new Xorg and/or kernel and/or desktop environment, to see what might be the cause?
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 07:35 AM   #3
rdeger

Default Re: HP Z600 (2x Quadro FX580) crash with 4 screens, cursor flickering between screens

When I disable dpms via:

Quote:
xset -dpms
I cannot reproduce this Problem any more.

So I think this really is a problem with the power management, see log messages in Xorg.log:
Quote:
[ 5994.822] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-1): HP LA2205 (DFP-4): Failed to set DisplayPort power state
Old 02-08-11, 10:30 AM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

The message is harmless, it's caused by an error reporting bug that makes the driver think the DisplayPort configuration write to turn it off fails when it actually succeeds (as you can tell because your monitors turn off).

The flickering mouse cursor is due to a known bug in the X server that causes the mouse handling code to get confused when the mouse crosses a screen boundary while the server is processing other things, such as lots of graphics requests or slow DisplayPort configuration writes.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 03:48 AM   #5
rdeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
The message is harmless, it's caused by an error reporting bug that makes the driver think the DisplayPort configuration write to turn it off fails when it actually succeeds (as you can tell because your monitors turn off).
OK, So I can ignore this messages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
The flickering mouse cursor is due to a known bug in the X server that causes the mouse handling code to get confused when the mouse crosses a screen boundary while the server is processing other things, such as lots of graphics requests or slow DisplayPort configuration writes.
That would explain the problem. Is there a bug report available?

Thank you very much for the answer. Disabling DPMS is working, except that the monitors cannot save power.