Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-06-11, 06:12 AM   #1
K007

Default Treyarch dev says “negative” gamers the biggest problem facing the games industry

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/02/tr...ames-industry/

Quote:
Community Manager Josh Olin made the comments in an interview with NowGamer. When asked what the biggest problem facing the games industry today was, he said “as a community manager who lives in the media or social media world every day, I think the social culture of video games is moving in a more negative direction as technology and social media continues to grow. Rather than growing with it, the trend seems to be devolving.”
I am sorry...but how much beta testing / any testing did you do with the PC Version? It was a failed port from Day1.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 07:57 AM   #2
Destroy

Default Re: Treyarch dev says “negative” gamers the biggest problem facing the games industry

Perhaps they should socially listen to what gamers want instead of keeping their money blinders on.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 08:01 AM   #3
Sean_W

Default Re: Treyarch dev says “negative” gamers the biggest problem facing the games industry

The biggest problem facing the games industry is lack of Innovation, where developers just pump out sequels. Just look at this year's line-up of games.

I think there is a lot more innovation from smaller developers that do Indie games and gamers are very positive about them.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 09:32 AM   #4
Burnt_Ram

i can't believe he said that! talk about having blinders on! i used to have the utmost respect for Treyarch, not anymore. Activision has corrupted them with their greedyness ...
Burnt_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 09:47 AM   #5
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

We want games that are of high quality and that are fun to play! Is that hard to ask? Innovation drives this market, and when innovation ceases, the market comes to a screeching halt... or in the case of the CoD: BO, Activision makes a lot of money.

It's not the users that are at fault here. It's the ferkin developers and their lack of insight into the industry. Check out steam for a little while. If you make a good game, we notice, and we buy it. If you make a crappy game, we're not going to buy it. Gamers talk with their money. We spend tons of cash beefing up our PC's every few years, and developers expect us to blow it on half-assed sequels that have no storyline and where the mechanics of the game are terrible! Seriously? I think we can see past the crap.

Sorry, but if this is where the industry is going, I might just jump ship. It's pointless to spend all of this money on hardware if we're going to have ungrateful developers that are going to blame THEIR PROBLEMS ON US!!!!

/rant

If you want innovation, go check out minecraft. The guy that is in possession of that game is a millionaire. That didn't happen by accident. The game is different, and people like it. Treyarch should take a few notes. Try and innovate for once instead of figuring out how many different ranks you can fit into one game.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 10:45 AM   #6
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
We want games that are of high quality and that are fun to play! Is that hard to ask? Innovation drives this market, and when innovation ceases, the market comes to a screeching halt... or in the case of the CoD: BO, Activision makes a lot of money.

It's not the users that are at fault here. It's the ferkin developers and their lack of insight into the industry. Check out steam for a little while. If you make a good game, we notice, and we buy it. If you make a crappy game, we're not going to buy it. Gamers talk with their money. We spend tons of cash beefing up our PC's every few years, and developers expect us to blow it on half-assed sequels that have no storyline and where the mechanics of the game are terrible! Seriously? I think we can see past the crap.

Sorry, but if this is where the industry is going, I might just jump ship. It's pointless to spend all of this money on hardware if we're going to have ungrateful developers that are going to blame THEIR PROBLEMS ON US!!!!

/rant

If you want innovation, go check out minecraft. The guy that is in possession of that game is a millionaire. That didn't happen by accident. The game is different, and people like it. Treyarch should take a few notes. Try and innovate for once instead of figuring out how many different ranks you can fit into one game.
Sales say the opposite, when an innovative game releases and gets praised by all the critics it fails to achieve any good support from the market. Yet look at the games that break sales records... they are sequels or games that just follow the industry standard.

If you want new IPs and innovation then go out and buy the games. Even if you think that the PC platform got the short end of the stick. By ignoring the game totally you are going to make developers walk away more often. Buy those indie games, buy those new IPs that are fun but maybe not 100% innovative. Don't just ignore a game because maybe the publisher supports another platform then the one of your choice.

In the end gamers are hypocrites... they shout one thing and turn around and do the opposite.
Old 02-06-11, 11:00 AM   #7
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Sales say the opposite, when an innovative game releases and gets praised by all the critics it fails to achieve any good support from the market. Yet look at the games that break sales records... they are sequels or games that just follow the industry standard.

If you want new IPs and innovation then go out and buy the games. Even if you think that the PC platform got the short end of the stick. By ignoring the game totally you are going to make developers walk away more often. Buy those indie games, buy those new IPs that are fun but maybe not 100% innovative. Don't just ignore a game because maybe the publisher supports another platform then the one of your choice.

In the end gamers are hypocrites... they shout one thing and turn around and do the opposite.
I buy games that appeal to me. When the price is right, I'll buy any decent game on the market. The last FPS that I bought was Bad Company 2, and I bought it 1 month before release date because I knew it was going to be amazing due to the Beta. Guess what? I was right!

I bought a ton of games during Steam's holiday sales. Why? Because the price was right, the reviews were wonderful, and I had the money to spend. I bought Minecraft after I test-drove it on my Fiance's account. Why? Because it offered an addicting platform for creation and innovation. I didn't buy Call of Duty: Black Ops. Why? Because it is a half-assed, overpriced piece of garbage on the PC. Ever think about why the Wii has been such a success on sales? It's because it was innovative during a time where the game industry was populated by violent, disgusting garbage that was getting stale. I'm not saying the Wii is as a good a platform as other systems, but it definitely broke the sales records of the PS3 and RRoD Box. You couldn't find those things in stock at retail chains for a year or 2. For a system that's 1/3 as powerful as its competitors, that's pretty epic.

Am I the hypocrite? I COULDN'T care less about those Call of Duty boys that will buy anything that includes a gun, a few ranks, and some ****ed up multiplayer system populated by whiny 12-year-olds. That's not me. I purchase games that are going to entertain ME, because at the end of the day, if we're not having fun, what's the point? Not everybody thinks the same way as me, but then again, most gamers are console boys between the ages of 10 and 20. To them, CoD:BO is the better than sex. It's people like THAT that's driving the industry down... not us.

MadPistol's Rig

XFX Radeon HD 5870
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech G15 keyboard
Antec Nine Hundred case
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP

Last edited by Madpistol; 02-08-11 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-06-11, 01:18 PM   #8
ViN86

Right, "negative" gamers are the just the result of the trend of the industry...

This was my gaming experience at launch with Black Ops...

The truth is, companies are trying to make more money at lower costs. So instead of high quality products, we get products they **** out of dev kits and port to PC's. The quality of PC games has gone down so dramatically over the past 10 years. It's no wonder many PC gamers are more negative. The quality of their products is dropping while prices are going up. The only exception seems to be Valve imo.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-11, 04:50 PM   #9
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

I agree. I've noticed that Valve takes care of its customers and its community. Same with Blizzard. Activision and EA are the problems in the gamescape today. They continue to release yearly iterations of their popular franchises that people continue to mindlessly buy because they don't know any better. They think that the new product will be better than the last. Then it turns out that it's not... it's just more of the same. That's ok though! EA and Activision are promising that their next game will be "different" and "better" and more "action packed" than the last. I wonder how long it will be until everyone else catches on what they're doing...

The Call of Duty Franchise ended with Modern Warfare and World at War. MW2 and BO are jokes of the lowest caliber, and the fact that they're being sold @ $60 a piece is even more shameful. It really shows what this industry is like... and now one of Treyarch's community managers has opened his mouth about how ungrateful we are. It's ok. I talk with my wallet, and as long as I have a hold on mine, they won't be getting a dime from me until they change that outlook of theirs. It is positively disgusting. A company is there to make money, and you make money by satisfying your customers. I have money, and I refuse to spend it on crap.

MadPistol's Rig

XFX Radeon HD 5870
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech G15 keyboard
Antec Nine Hundred case
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Old 02-06-11, 05:19 PM   #10
grey_1

So they churn out yet another refresh of a beat to heck title that a lot of folks apparently have quite a few issues with and the community is wrong for having a negative attitude?

Priceless, is this guy a politician?
Old 02-06-11, 05:29 PM   #11
Bearclaw

Ugh.

I buy a game when it's GOOD and not a run of the mill crap.

Put forth some effort, pc.
Old 02-06-11, 05:34 PM   #12
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

SO you called me "negative"? Nice. Gonna go dl some black ops....
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote