Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-22-11, 12:20 PM   #1
Bigbuck

Send a message via MSN to Bigbuck
Default Booting Issue

Built me new desktop last week and have been having some weird problems booting. The PC will start to boot and load the BIOS but then it will go to a screen asking if I want to run start up repair because windows couldn't start. If I try to run the repair or just boot straight into windows it repeats this process. However, if I power down and then power up again everything works just fine. It has not crashed once or given me any errors once booted. I've gamed for hours without any problems or hiccups. I'm not sure if this could be the motherboard or maybe even my SSD. The only thing I can thing off is I always had a tiny piece of cardboard between the motherboard and the mounting screws and this time there was none. Could it be shorting out on the first boot?

Specs:
Cooler Master HAF 922
ASUS P8P67 PRO
Intel 2500K - Stock cooler
Corsair 650HX
XFX Radeon HD 6950
4GB Corsair RAM
Kingston 64GB SSD - Boot drive
Western Digital 1TB - Game/storage drive
Old 01-22-11, 12:23 PM   #2
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd
Default Re: Booting Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbuck View Post
Built me new desktop last week and have been having some weird problems booting. The PC will start to boot and load the BIOS but then it will go to a screen asking if I want to run start up repair because windows couldn't start. If I try to run the repair or just boot straight into windows it repeats this process. However, if I power down and then power up again everything works just fine. It has not crashed once or given me any errors once booted. I've gamed for hours without any problems or hiccups. I'm not sure if this could be the motherboard or maybe even my SSD. The only thing I can thing off is I always had a tiny piece of cardboard between the motherboard and the mounting screws and this time there was none. Could it be shorting out on the first boot?

Specs:
Cooler Master HAF 922
ASUS P8P67 PRO
Intel 2500K - Stock cooler
Corsair 650HX
XFX Radeon HD 6950
4GB Corsair RAM
Kingston 64GB SSD - Boot drive
Western Digital 1TB - Game/storage drive
Is your pc overclocked?

Try this any way

boot your computer to the repair option

Select the dos prompt from the repair options.

type bootrec.exe /fixmbr
and press enter

then type bootrec.exe /fixboot

post back
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 08:22 AM   #3
Bigbuck

No nothing is overclocked. Today it went to a blue screen after trying to load. Booted just fine the second time. I didn't catch the message though. Going to run Memtest which I should have done before.
Old 01-23-11, 09:40 AM   #4
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

Quote:
No nothing is overclocked. Today it went to a blue screen after trying to load. Booted just fine the second time. I didn't catch the message though. Going to run Memtest which I should have done before.
Thats the place to start
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 02:28 PM   #5
Bman212121

Quote:
If you right click on my computer, you can click on manage. Then open up the event viewer, windows logs, and choose the system log. You should be able to find the last error and you'll be able to read the reason for BSOD. The source should say BugCheck. The description will be something like this:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xfffffa80076e8028, 0x00000000be000000, 0x0000000000800400). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 012211-11840-01.

That was caused by an unstable OC on my processor yesterday.

If you're having a hard time finding the messages on the right side of the window you can click filter current log, then only check the boxes for critical, error, and warnings. That will hide the millions of information messages in the list.

Also I would suggest changing this option in windows to make it so you can read the BSOD warning. Right click on my computer, choose properties. Then on the left side of the window that appears choose advanced system settings. Then goto the advanced tab, and click on the settings button for startup and recovery. Under the system failure group box, uncheck the box to automatically restart, then click okay. This will keep windows from rebooting when it BSODs, so you can actually read the warning messages.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 05:50 PM   #6
Bigbuck

Here's the info from the BSOD. Don't have the debug tools installed to run the dump file though.

Quote:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0xfffffa7fffffffe0, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000001, 0xfffff80002c9db7f). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 012411-8127-01.
Old 01-24-11, 10:52 AM   #7
Bman212121

Here's something for Windows XP, not exactly the same bug the actual error code is probably the same.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063

STOP 0x0000000A (0xBFD14AAC, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x8000F67C)
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I'm pretty sure I see that when a piece of hardware like the GPU, sound card, or something like that is faulty. The only thing that kind of stinks about the report in event viewer is that it doesn't show the dll file that caused it.

From just reading a few things from google it sounds like it's a pretty generic code so it could be a lot of things. Here is a question though, do you shut down your computer after you are done with it, or is it going to sleep or hibernating? I've definitely had issues with the computer waking back up from hibernation before. Also some of the deeper sleep states might cause issues.
Old 01-24-11, 11:28 AM   #8
Bigbuck

I shut my PC down when I'm done for the night unless I'm downloading a game or something like that then it stays on.
Pretty sure I got it fixed. Apparently the P67 chipset and certain RAM have problems with the XMP profiles. It was setting my RAM timings and voltage incorrectly on cold boot. Setting these manually seems to have fixed it. The cold boot today when without a problem. I also ran Memtest overnight just to be sure and that came back without any errors.

Old 01-24-11, 02:27 PM   #9
Bman212121

sweet
Old 02-08-11, 04:06 AM   #10
vbreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfaster View Post
I have this Compaq computer with Windows Vista, it worked perfectly, but recently it has stopped.

What it does is when you turn the power button, the moniter starts to load and put the text in the upper left corner of the screen indicating that information about my graphics card (which is normally always the case), but fans strong and realistic screen I go to sleep / energy saver mode.

I can not in safe mode or anything.

Hope you can help!

Could you tell me if you need more information.
You find a way to solve this, I have a xp machine. And it says it is due to the Graphics card. Any solution for that please share.
vbreader is offline   Reply With Quote