Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-20-08, 12:12 AM   #1
nevion

Default nvidia-settings overwrites icc profile

Everytime nvidia-settings is ran, it overwrites the icc profile I set using xcalib. Annoying. I reset it everytime with xcalib profile.icc but it'd be nice if the gui didn't automatically overwrite it. Btw is there any chances the gui could provide a ui or some such settings for icc profiles. I see we already have the ability to play with brightness/contrast/gamma on the server color correction tab but these don't cover the full spectrum of icc profiles since they are usually LUTs. Having the settings take place thru nvidia-settings would also be nicer than having to get/run xcalib.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (30.4 KB, 180 views)
nevion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 08:42 AM   #2
afx

Default Re: nvidia-settings overwrites icc profile

Looks like no one at Nvidia cares about color under Linux ;-(

cheers
afx
afx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 11:33 AM   #3
djalma

Same happens 2 me.

When I set an icc profile to my desktop, and then open an opengl app in fullscreen mode, the colors are reseted to defaults.

Al least Nvidia should enable an option in nvidia-settings allowing us to decide whether we want this behavior. (And Im "talking" about colors, not bright, gamma...)

The best solution will be implement icc profiles support in nvidia-settings.

Its an important feature for tft monitors that not used to be too accurates with default settings.

Regards.
djalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-09, 06:27 AM   #4
lnxme1

I too would like such a feature in Nvidia drivers, or at least would like nvidia-settings not to reset my color profile to default when launched.

Is that so hard to implement in next crop of drivers ?
lnxme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 04:34 PM   #5
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

I have that problem, too.

I don't even understand why nvidia-settings would mess with it. The things nvidia-settings controls are disjoint from the color profile.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 06:11 PM   #6
hvengel

It seems like everything in X11 that has to do with monitor settings wants to mess with the gamma tables. For example the monitor settings dialogs in KDE3 and KDE4 also do this. There are several issues that are related to this.

1. Programs like nvidia-settings and the KDE monitor preferences need to be able to tell the difference between monitors that are color managed and those that are not.

2. Many users are not setting the X11 _ICC_PROFILE atom when they use a LUT loader. xcalib does not have this functionality.

3. Programs like nvidia-settings and the KDE monitor preferences do not even check to see if the _ICC_PROFILE atom is set and blindly over write the gamma tables.

There are two tools available that will do gamma loading and also set the X11 _ICC_PROFILE atom.

1. The ArgyllCMS dispwin utility. This is both a gamma loader and it sets the X11 _ICC_PROFILE atom. This can be run as a daemon and it checks to see if other apps have reset the gamma table and it will set it back if needed.

2. Oyranos has a utility called oyranos-monitor. This utility will allow you to specify profiles for various monitors and it stores these as preferences. Once this info is stored you can invoke it without any command line parms and it will go through these preferences and call xcalib to load all of the gamma tables for each configured monitor/profile. It will also set the X11 _ICCPROFILE atoms for each monitor.

There is a KDE4 front end for oyranos in the playground area of the KDE SVN named kolor-manger. This was part of a OpenICC GSoC projects in both 2008 and 2009. The 2008 project resulted in a nicely working monitor color management front end but restructuring of oyranos during GSoC 2009 to add support for other devices (printers, cameras and scanners) broke this functionality and it is currently in need of some cleanup to make it useful. But once that clean up is done it should make for a much improved user experience for this stuff. The OpenICC folks would like to have this ready to go for KDE 4.4. Now all we need to do is to get vendors/software developers who want to mess with the gamma tables to at least not do so if the X11 _ICC_PROFILE atom is set. How about it nvidia do you think you could do that?

Last edited by hvengel; 09-10-09 at 02:21 PM.
hvengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 01:36 AM   #7
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

I'll suggest it, but I can't guarantee it will get very high priority. I should remind you that nvidia-settings is open source, and patches are very much welcome.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 02:12 PM   #8
hvengel

I don't work in GTK+ so I will not be able to supply a patch. But I was able to find a snippet of code that shows how this might be done using GTK+ (I think the original code was pulled out of the GIMP code base around 6-2005 I have simplified it to return a boolean indicating if the atom is set). This code returns true if the atom exists. I have not tested this code since I don't work with GTK+ (I primarily work in Qt) but I have similar code working with Qt:

#include <X11/Xlib.h>
#include <X11/Xatom.h>

bool screenICCProfileAtomExists (GdkScreen *screen)
{
Display *dpy;
Atom icc_atom, type;
int format;
gulong nitems;
gulong bytes_after;
guchar *str;

g_return_val_if_fail (screen != NULL, NULL);

dpy = GDK_DISPLAY_XDISPLAY (gdk_screen_get_display (screen));
icc_atom = gdk_x11_get_xatom_by_name_for_display gdk_screen_get_display
(screen), "_ICC_PROFILE");

return XGetWindowProperty (dpy, GDK_WINDOW_XID
(gdk_screen_get_root_window (screen)),
icc_atom, 0, G_MAXLONG,
False, XA_CARDINAL, &type, &format,
&nitems, &bytes_after, (guchar **)&str) == Success;

}

Old 11-08-09, 08:48 AM   #9
sensovision
Proud user of Debian OS

Send a message via ICQ to sensovision

It would be great if Nvidia Settings manager stop altering gamma each time it's running, as I've specially have to restore ICC after visiting Settings Manager.

Question: Does anyone who use ICC profiles under Linux got problem with cursor tint, as it's look like it's not color managed by ICC profiles.
When color temperature of monitor differ from desired color temperature of profile difference in color become very obvious. Maybe someone had similar problem and found workardound for it? Here is my post with more details and illustration about this problem:
http://www.freelists.org/post/argyll...-tinted-cursor
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-09, 03:59 PM   #10
hvengel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensovision View Post
It would be great if Nvidia Settings manager stop altering gamma each time it's running, as I've specially have to restore ICC after visiting Settings Manager.

Question: Does anyone who use ICC profiles under Linux got problem with cursor tint, as it's look like it's not color managed by ICC profiles.
When color temperature of monitor differ from desired color temperature of profile difference in color become very obvious. Maybe someone had similar problem and found workardound for it? Here is my post with more details and illustration about this problem:
http://www.freelists.org/post/argyll...-tinted-cursor
I have not noticed that my cursors are miss-colored. Keep in mind that X11 does NOT do color management. All the profile does when you use a LUT loader is sets the video card gamma tables such that R=G=B will fall along the black locus (IE. be neutral compared to the monitors white point) and that the gamma is close to what the user asked the calibration software to create.

I suspect that what is happening is that in many cases the system will be using a hardware pointer and the hardware may by pass using the video card gamma table when it draws the cursor.
Old 03-04-11, 09:05 AM   #11
afx

This is quite old and the settings tool still removes the ICC profile.

cheers
afx
afx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 10:25 AM   #12
sensovision
Proud user of Debian OS

Send a message via ICQ to sensovision

yup I still have, to run script to apply correct profile after running drivers. It would be much better if profile applied from inside driver's GUI or at least there would be option to change drivers behavior.
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote