Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-09-11, 01:09 AM   #13
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Default Re: Official Test Drive Unlimited 2 thread

This game is more like an expansion pack for The Sims 3. Seriously, Sims with cars.

No crossfire / SLI support neither.

35-60 fps on average.

Just have to set it to whatever the console versions run at although the good signs are that they are actively supporting / patching this game.

I'm buying it regardless, mainly as play.com have started packing and I can't cancel the order. lol

Have to get an nVNews club going if it's possible.

I am determined to LIKE this game, I will force myself.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 03:09 AM   #14
MowTin

Users on the TDU 2 forum are saying the physics and ffb have taken a step back from TDU 1. I really thought there was no way to mess up a TDU 2. Just improve upon the first. Smoother roads, better hardcore mode and maybe some weather and day/night cycles. What is so hard about that?

Anyway, I'm downloading....My expectations are very low. Keeping my fingers crossed.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 05:32 AM   #15
Revs

Sounds poo. I'll give it a miss, especially if there's no crossfire support. I wasn't much of a fan of teh original either.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 08:20 AM   #16
Sean_W

Yeah, the cut scenes looked awful, lots of them as well.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 10:44 AM   #17
Destroy

Major bums me out this game turned into what it is. Its a casual gamers world I guess.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 05:33 PM   #18
shabby
Forcefed GXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
cars don't feel right in nfshp either, so how bad is TDU2?
For an arcade style racing game i think nfshp's car feel is quite good, tdu2 on the other hand is worse imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
Users on the TDU 2 forum are saying the physics and ffb have taken a step back from TDU 1.
That's what i was thinking, the first tdu felt much better, they ****ed it up this time.
Old 02-09-11, 11:45 PM   #19
JasonPC

I think this game has a lot of potential, it just needs some more work.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 12:07 AM   #20
MaXThReAT
GTX to the MaX

So I have given this game almost two days of game play about 6 hours or more. I enjoyed the first Test Drive quite a bit and I had high hopes for TDU2. I was in the beta so my hopes had already been crushed. I gave my feedback as did many others and it seems they didn't want to change much at all.

I wanted to go into the game with a clear mind, like I had never played a driving game before. It didn't help. Is it better than the beta, a little. I guess first the good. It's TDU2 and the island is huge. Racing online is pretty much flawless so far. Haven’t seen a lot of people but the social aspect of the game isn’t as bad as you think. The cars look pretty nice. 2048x1536 4xaa 16af and I'm pretty much the same as JohnDio, 45fps. That's about it the rest is all bad.

The sounds of the cars are just horrible, electric lawn mowers sound better. I would rather have someone behind me making engine and shifting noises than listen to these cars. This game has no bass, zero. Inside or outside of the car they all sound like utter crap. It’s so bad it makes me think there is an audio engine issue with the game but I was in the beta and I know there is not. They meant for the game to sound this way. It’s bad.

I always use my G25 and I had the game set on hardcore most of the time. FFB works and it feels okay, it doesn't really bother me. What does bother me is the huge dead zone and general lack of the feeling that you’re driving a car. Handling is abysmal. I don't know how they did it but they made my wheel drive like a gamepad. Settings are pretty much useless. Turning and breaking feel very off, it’s hard to judge turn entry speed. Cars slow down way too fast it’s very unrealistic. The physics and turning just feel bad. Worse than TDU1.

I like driving using the in car view. BTW no support for TrackIR this time around either. They've added an annoying look to turn feature that you’re unable to turn off. For me it results in a feeling of gliding around inside the car as I try to swerve in and out of traffic and around turns. It completely throws off the feeling of turning the car. I don't know why they even have side or rear view mirrors you can't see any of them and there is no way to adjust seat position but you can turn on your blinkers and be one of those idiots that leave it on.

I haven’t done much MP but SP racing thus far has been boring, easy and boring. I don't think I ever selected a difficulty level and there is no setting in the menu. At one point I ended up on a dirt road in a Lotus and I found the car could not go over 60mph and if I shifted to third I would start slowing down. With the car rolling on a paved road 1-3mph first gear, letting the clutch out results in a stall. It's very hard to do a normal start, it's a pain. Going automatic just makes the game even more boring. No ignition button like in TDU1 you just push the gas to start the car.

Graphics are decent at best, mostly very bla there are some areas that look nice but they are too few and far between. Rain and night driving is kind of cool and the wet pavement looks good. I can’t say the textures are bad some look pretty good. Roads trees dirt grass rocks all look good. It’s just a general lack of color and I would say you can't see more than a few hundred feet up the road at any given time. Seeing textures and trees draw in is very distracting. The actual draw distance is very short and they seem to have setup every road to limit the view as much as possible but you still see trees and buildings being awkwardly drawn in. At one point the game exploded into triangle artifacts.

Is it fun...yes, kind of, not really, no. Do I plan on playing more...yes this thing was $40 bucks and I'm going to pray for patches but I'm afraid there is just too much to fix. Overall I’m being hard on the game but I expected better and feel I'm being honest. Looking around the TDU2 forums I'm not alone, pretty much everyone hates it, some demanding refunds.
SB X-Fi FPS / Z-5500 + Buttkicker!
"Don't mind the posts, I've been around longer than most know."
MaXThReAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-11, 12:30 AM   #21
MowTin

I've just been playing for 2 hours. I've been waiting for a sequel to TDU forever but my initial impressions are stunned and horrified. The FFB feels totally broken. Braking distances are extremely unrealistic and unnatural feeling. Too early to make a final judgement. I just hope things get better.

Edit: 2 more hours. This game does not like 900 degrees on my old DFP. Went to profiler and set the range to 360 deg and sensitivity way up. That helped a whole lot. At least it's playable now.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 03:36 AM   #22
sammy sung

This sucks, i've been waiting for such a long time for this game and this is all we get ? Man, they've been posting these 400 developer diary's on how wonderful this game was going to be but to me it sounds like they should have spent that time actually coding this piece of crap instead I just dont get how they could make it worse than tdu1, unforgiveable imo.
Old 02-10-11, 04:37 AM   #23
Vardant

Definitely wait for some patches. It's not worth buying as it is now.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 09:19 AM   #24
Bman212121

Thanks for the review Maxthreat. You basically confirmed everything I thought. All of those issues were present in the beta, I even posted the issue about the car stalling at anything under 15mph cause the clutch just unloads on their forums. Also, the car will probably stall if you still have the car in gear and your speed falls below about 15mph.

I didn't expect much out of them when they only had a beta for like 3 days. Given their poor record at fixing stuff in the first one, they backed that up for the second. It really sucks cause the game could be good but they miss on the important part. I could live with poor audio, no TrackIR support and some of the other cosmetic issues, but if you can't control the car then the main function of the game is broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
Definitely wait for some patches. It's not worth buying as it is now.
They only did one patch for the first one, and it was so they could add some DLC. They made the audio worse after they patched it. A lot of people used a hack so they could keep the audio from 1.0 but use the two new cars in 1.66A.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote