Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-09-11, 11:49 AM   #1
DuckGERN7

Lightbulb Hey, does this fix the Vsync problem?

Hello,

we all know what a pain in the *** Compiz with Nvidia hardware can be, when trying to do a simple Vsync for the desktop and videos, which somewhat works - sometimes - most of the time it doesn't.

I do NOT care WHY, WHEN, HOW, and HOW long the reason may be for this issue.

Now, ATI has released new drivers, with experimental support for it and Compiz *?* (sure, it's somehow a bit buggy here and there, but it seems to work okay for now). On Intel GMA, with the supported Open Source drivers, everything works out of the box (with Compiz and Vsync).

Now, I have just HAD it with Compiz and all the trying around (for MONTHS now)

Then it just hit me "why not try out something else". Everytime I follow that what geeks tell me "shheheh yehehh know it'Z so muCh awesomer than the effect$ on M$ OS" I fail to see the reason.

So I tried out "Mutter".

I uninstalled EVERYTHING from Compiz via the Ubuntu Software-Center and then I installed Mutter. Vsync ist activated via the Nvidia Control Panel for both Videos and OpenGL.

It works right out of the box. My desktop is Vsync'ed. My videos are, too. With the help of VDPAU it's even better, offloading the CPU. So, my question is, what is the downside of this? This can't be it, right? What is the downside of using Mutter like this? There has to be something to kill my good mood right now.

I am happy as hell right now, so be please gentle and try not to spoil it TOO much for me (and don't give me the long story, keep it short). THIS is what I wanted all this time. An easy way to setup, not too many crazy effects and stuff going on BUT a smooth and fast desktop.

Oh, and I do not feel any reduction in speed. Most ppl tell me "bleh, vsync slows stuff down, then the reaction time is slowed down, too. Compiz rock0rs".

I DON'T care, I never have and never will. I love it like it is now - Simple, very, very easy to set-up and up until now - reliable.

Thank you for your time.

BTW:

Howto (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - I will only use LTS from now on):

A) Install the Nvidia prop. drivers recommended for your system and go in to nvidia-settings (system -> Nvidia X Server Settings) and enable Vsync for Videos and OpenGL.

B) Disable Compiz (system -> settings -> appearance) and use Metacity. After that, uninstall Compiz, that will get activated when you install those Nvidia drivers (and thus the tearing begins). Do this via the Ubuntu Software-Center. Just uninstall everything you find related with "compiz" - especially "compiz core" and the stuff it needs.

C) Reboot, just to be sure. Go to the Software-Center and install "Mutter" from there. Go to system -> settings -> startprograms (I don't know the actual name, because I am using the German Ubuntu - you get the point). Add a new startup called "Mutter" and use this command: "mutter --replace". Save, reboot,...

D) Done.

DuckGERN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 10:22 AM   #2
DuckGERN7

Question Re: Hey, does this fix the Vsync problem?

Maybe I have to post the questions clearer:

1) What is the downside of using Mutter with Ubuntu 10.04? Are there any known "bigger" problems in combination with Nvidia Hardware (280M GTX)?

2) Did I install it the right way and did I get rid of Compiz the correct way? Am I missing anything? The reason I ask, is, because I have been testing it since yesterday non-stop. I have a few issues, though, but nothing special or big. It seems like if those are just smaller bugs (for example: Windows get stuck sometimes and I have to force quit them with F4 or sometimes they disappear and won't maximize again).

3) How can I get in contact with the Mutter devs or how/where can I report any bugs, that have to do with Mutter?

4) Why does vsync work in Mutter in all situations and not with Compiz?
Old 02-11-11, 01:22 PM   #3
Lemmiwinks

Default Re: Hey, does this fix the Vsync problem?

I gave Mutter a try on Ubuntu 10.10. I worked acceptable, though I found it to be a bit jerky or slow compared to compiz. Unfortunately I don't know how to tweak Mutter's settings. I also did not see any tearing but didn't test this out excessively.

1) If you don't experience any bigger issues, then at least for you there are non - be happy!

2) AFAIK Mutter was developed for Meego and later for Gnome 3 in the first place, so I am not surprised you experience issues with Gnome 2.

4) I am confident that vsync will work properly with compiz 0.9x and xserver 1.10
Old 02-11-11, 02:32 PM   #4
DuckGERN7

Thumbs up Re: Hey, does this fix the Vsync problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
I gave Mutter a try on Ubuntu 10.10. I worked acceptable, though I found it to be a bit jerky or slow compared to compiz. Unfortunately I don't know how to tweak Mutter's settings. I also did not see any tearing but didn't test this out excessively.

1) If you don't experience any bigger issues, then at least for you there are non - be happy!

2) AFAIK Mutter was developed for Meego and later for Gnome 3 in the first place, so I am not surprised you experience issues with Gnome 2.

4) I am confident that vsync will work properly with compiz 0.9x and xserver 1.10
Hi and thanks for responding and trying out this stuff. I appreciate it!

1) I am, but I do have some issues. Maybe I could sort it out, if I could find more info on it.

2) Oh, okay. I knew that it was "meant" for something else, but i didn't know that could cause these kind of "glitches". If that is the main reason for the problems I am getting, then maybe I should give Gnome 3 / Gnome-shell a try? Are they stable enough for every day use?

4) How do you know that? Are there any new infos on that? I have been waiting for that to happen for years now. Last time I checked, they (on the Compiz forums) said it wasn't possible. How far is Compiz 0.9x and how far is xserver 1.10 and when will they be "done" or released?

Again, thanks for responding!

PS:

Question: What hardware did you try Mutter on and what Nvidia driver version did you use, the rec. ones?