Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-10-11, 11:51 PM   #1
Redeemed

Default Error loading drive for optical drive...

I just noticed that my ODD is not showing up in Computer, but it is listed under device manager- only with the yellow "!" next to it. The error is that Windows cannot load the driver because it may be corrupted.

My drive is an LG BD/HDDVD/DVD-Burner/CD-burner SATA drive. I don't use it often, but often enough that I'd miss not having one. I do have some BD and HD-DVD movies that I watch occassionally.

How can I delete this driver, or might there be a registry fix I can perform? The drive works, it shows up in the BIOS and I booted to multiple LiveCDs and even my Windows 7 DVD. So I know the drive is good. I tried uninstalling the drive in Device Manager, and even checked for updated drivers (both Windows updates and the drive manufacturer). No dice.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 12:01 AM   #2
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Default Re: Error loading drive for optical drive...

Seems like you'd be able to just re-install the drivers. Did you try that? What I mean is, download them from the LG site and run 'em. Not just through the Device Manager as you stated. You've tried everything else I can think of. I assume Windows 7?
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 12:29 AM   #3
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippe View Post
Seems like you'd be able to just re-install the drivers. Did you try that? What I mean is, download them from the LG site and run 'em. Not just through the Device Manager as you stated. You've tried everything else I can think of. I assume Windows 7?
LG doesn't offer any drivers. At least none available for download that I can find.

I'm thinking it's something in the registry... but I'm not too prone on manually editing it without clear instructions on what to edit. And yes, this is Windows7- actually it's the rig in my sig.
Old 02-11-11, 01:35 PM   #4
frenchy2k1

It's an optical drive.
Those, same as HDD, do not use any driver.
Best way is probably to remove the drive and the controller from the device manager, reboot and let windows re-discover all of it.
Old 02-11-11, 11:25 PM   #5
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy2k1 View Post
It's an optical drive.
Those, same as HDD, do not use any driver.
Best way is probably to remove the drive and the controller from the device manager, reboot and let windows re-discover all of it.
Controller? Like, which SATA controller it's on? Hadn't thought of that... thanks.