Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-15-11, 11:07 PM   #1
Destroy
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,994
Default Backup an Android phone, how?

Is there any app out there that will allow me to backup my phone FULLY? 2.1btw.

Don't want to mess with rooting and hacking crap. Just want a $50 app to make it easy and simple to save all my data, apps, contacts, emails, drafts, games, docs, pics, etc..
__________________

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 11:23 PM   #2
snowmanwithahat
Snowy
 
snowmanwithahat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 974
Default Re: Backup an Android phone, how?

You need to figure out what exactly it is you're wanting to back up...

If you want docs / pics / videos /etc.... then that's goin to be on the SD card and honestly a simple drag and drop to a PC is your best choice.

For contacts I'd highly recommend not even bothering with local backups, push them all off to your gmail account. I could break my phone in half, log into my mom's android phone on my gmail account and get all my contacts back without missing a beat.

For backing up the actual apps... that's not so easy. Android isn't really built well to do that. I've had the most luck with mine using Clockwork Recovery, that definitely requires rooting your phone though. It replaces the stock recovery with a modified version which allows backups and flashing of other ROMs.

Might want to bother taking a look at Titanium Backup... I think it might require root though
__________________
---Gaming Rig---
Q6600 3.4ghz (378x9) - 1.5v
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 11:35 PM   #3
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Backup an Android phone, how?

Well, contacts can be handled via Google contacts sync. That's how I handle mine.

As for backing up without rooting, I don't know. Honestly, I rooted and backed up mine in about 10 minutes and it was very easy.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 12:05 AM   #4
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Backup an Android phone, how?

and what does Google contacts sync do? save everything to gmail?

after all these years there still is no reliable easy way to sync android with outlook?
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 06:55 AM   #5
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Backup an Android phone, how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
and what does Google contacts sync do? save everything to gmail?
Yes.

Quote:
after all these years there still is no reliable easy way to sync android with outlook?
Unless you are connecting it to an Exchange account, I haven't seen any way of doing it. But then again, I've never seen anyone use Outlook outside of having an Exchange email account.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 08:15 AM   #6
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Backup an Android phone, how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Unless you are connecting it to an Exchange account, I haven't seen any way of doing it. But then again, I've never seen anyone use Outlook outside of having an Exchange email account.
having office for free, why wouldn't I use it?

being able to check/use all my e-mail address from one location. tied into with contacts, calendar all from secure location. I'm not going to use gmail store my contacts/calendar or use gmail for my banking information.

and why would I run exchange server at my house.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 08:29 AM   #7
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Backup an Android phone, how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
and what does Google contacts sync do? save everything to gmail?

after all these years there still is no reliable easy way to sync android with outlook?
There is if you don't mind spending $30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
having office for free, why wouldn't I use it?

being able to check/use all my e-mail address from one location. tied into with contacts, calendar all from secure location. I'm not going to use gmail store my contacts/calendar or use gmail for my banking information.

and why would I run exchange server at my house.
Why is that? Is your calendar top secret? Google contacts and calendar are more than enough for the average joe.

As for banking information, I use a different private account, which I use a free app called K-9 Mail to access via my phone.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 08:21 AM   #8
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Backup an Android phone, how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Why is that? Is your calendar top secret? Google contacts and calendar are more than enough for the average joe.

As for banking information, I use a different private account, which I use a free app called K-9 Mail to access via my phone.
nah, its not top secret, i just don't trust google when it comes to keeping my data secure. Simply preffer to have it on local machine and sync data.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-11, 08:27 AM   #9
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Backup an Android phone, how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
nah, its not top secret, i just don't trust google when it comes to keeping my data secure. Simply preffer to have it on local machine and sync data.
I can respect that. There is a great app to sync your Android phone with Office. It costs $30 I think, but it's only a one time charge and the app is very nice.

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 08:38 AM   #10
Bman212121
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,726
Default Re: Backup an Android phone, how?

I don't know of an app that does it honestly. Rooting the phone and bootstrapping the recovery lets you do a nandroid backup which is basically copy the entire contents of the phone's flash into a backup file. It's just like the option for full backups when using Pocket PC. It would be nice if you could just do this by default but I'm guessing that would give people too much power. It's kind of silly to have a linux OS but not have root access since you need root to perform a lot of tasks.


What you might look into is just goto the manufacturer's website of your phone and see if they have sync software. I know HTC and Motorola both have software that should let you backup at least some of the data via sync.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 08:43 AM   #11
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Backup an Android phone, how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
I don't know of an app that does it honestly. Rooting the phone and bootstrapping the recovery lets you do a nandroid backup which is basically copy the entire contents of the phone's flash into a backup file. It's just like the option for full backups when using Pocket PC. It would be nice if you could just do this by default but I'm guessing that would give people too much power. It's kind of silly to have a linux OS but not have root access since you need root to perform a lot of tasks.


What you might look into is just goto the manufacturer's website of your phone and see if they have sync software. I know HTC and Motorola both have software that should let you backup at least some of the data via sync.
Yes that's what I used to back up my Droid X before I changed the ROM.

I think you're forgetting that the OS is aimed at the general population. The last thing they need is root access.

Install virus? Sure! Install trojan? Sure! Keylogger? Give it root access!
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 09:05 AM   #12
Destroy
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,994
Default Re: Backup an Android phone, how?

It's a Virgin Mobile android phone so not sure if they offer any backup software, sort of doubt it actually.
__________________

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.