Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-18-11, 12:18 PM   #25
Redeemed

Default Re: Is this a good build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Our point is that isn't future proof. The 2500K, which is unlocked, is only $200, and clock for clock a better performer than the Athlon II. Even at $200, the build can come in under $700.
But do you need a SB for gaming today?

Honestly, I'd rather save the money and go AMD (Cheaper platform w/ cheaper CPUs and mobos), put that towards a beefier GPU and more RAM.

Just my opinion, of course.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 12:28 PM   #26
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by candle_86 View Post
no SB is not the end all be all. One no lower end chips, also thanks to being locked on most of the line and you can bet the Core i3 and Pentium branded SB chips will be locked, means AMD's AM3 still is alot more useful, and id weager money my X3 450 unlocked and running at 3.8 right now would whollop a SB I3 based product while costing less, 75 dollars that means 775 is my direct compitition, Intel has nothing close and won't in the sub 150 market. Also id take an X4 965 over a locked SB any day of the week, one can OC and be a 300 dollar chip preformance wise, the other has no future and is no better than a laptop processor, and total garbage to anyone that likes to get a nice cheap chip and OC.

My advice though is get Athlon II and OC it they are great little clocks and mine even went to quad and i have zero issues with it, and at this speed i tied my buddies Core i5 750 he runs at stock that he paid 219 for, i paid 75 thats value.
You're smoking crack!

Yeah, if all you want to talk about is the very low end, locked processors, you might have a point. But a 2500k at $200 is a better value than anything AMD has out there right now...by a mile. Go look at some benchmarks and then come back and tell me otherwise.

Your X4 965 gets destroyed by a 2500k. You'd have to be a moron to pay the $30-40 less to build a X4 965 system over getting a 2500k. Even getting past the obvious performance differences, why would you build a system on a dying platform?...talk about having no future. AMD's line is not only no longer useful, it's dead until they release new chips. The only people who should be buying AMD chips at this point are people who already have AMD systems and are just going to swap out CPU's.

Oh, and it's great that your overclocked X3 450 running @3.8 can EQUAL a stock i5 750 @2.6, but what happens when he overclocks that sucker? And if he's the type that doesn't overclock then your X3 would be a $75 piece of junk in his rig. Either compare them both at stock or compare them overclocked.

Basically, your whole argument is that if you tie one hand behind Intel's back, while giving AMD a third arm the AMD chips are better, which is a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
But do you need a SB for gaming today?

Honestly, I'd rather save the money and go AMD (Cheaper platform w/ cheaper CPUs and mobos), put that towards a beefier GPU and more RAM.

Just my opinion, of course.
How much money do you think you would be saving? The difference between a 2500k and a DECENT AMD chip is about $40-50, and you can buy p67 MB's for as little as $130, and not cheap garbage either, but decent boards.

Unless you are buying a computer with the change you found in your sofa the value argument doesn't hold water for AMD at this point. For the same $700 the Op was looking to spend you can buy an equally priced 2500k system that beats in every way possible, and not just by a little bit.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 12:39 PM   #27
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
How much money do you think you would be saving? The difference between a 2500k and a DECENT AMD chip is about $40-50, and you can buy p67 MB's for as little as $130, and not cheap garbage either, but decent boards.

Unless you are buying a computer with the change you found in your sofa the value argument doesn't hold water for AMD at this point. For the same $700 the Op was looking to spend you can buy an equally priced 2500k system that beats in every way possible, and not just by a little bit.
Fair enough- I haven't priced SB much, for some reason I was under the impression they were still quite expensive, much like the Nahelem platform when it first launched. If not, then I'd agree- SB would be the better alternative.
Old 02-18-11, 12:44 PM   #28
ViN86

Quote:
Fair enough- I haven't priced SB much, for some reason I was under the impression they were still quite expensive, much like the Nahelem platform when it first launched. If not, then I'd agree- SB would be the better alternative.
You're thinking of Sandy Bridge E, which will be LGA-2011 and launch later this year. That platform will have quad channel memory and a bunch of other bells and whistles. That will be Intel's flagship line. But the Sandy Bridge LGA-1155 chips out now are mid-level parts and some of the cheaper ones could fall under budget imo.

Check out the variants overview chart:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_B...top_processors
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 12:46 PM   #29
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
You're thinking of Sandy Bridge E, which will be LGA-2011 and launch later this year. That platform will have quad channel memory and a bunch of other bells and whistles. That will be Intel's flagship line. But the Sandy Bridge LGA-1155 chips out now are mid-level parts and some of the cheaper ones could fall under budget imo.

Check out the variants overview chart:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_B...top_processors
Nah- I think what it was is I read somewhere that due to the SATA bug and the recall, prices jumped. I read this without looking into what the prices actually where and just ASSumed they were sky high. Yeah, I know.

I have my eye on SB E, as that'll likely be my upgrade from my current rig come the end of this year.
Old 02-18-11, 05:24 PM   #30
Moshing

Quote:
no SB is not the end all be all. One no lower end chips, also thanks to being locked on most of the line and you can bet the Core i3 and Pentium branded SB chips will be locked, means AMD's AM3 still is alot more useful, and id weager money my X3 450 unlocked and running at 3.8 right now would whollop a SB I3 based product while costing less, 75 dollars that means 775 is my direct compitition, Intel has nothing close and won't in the sub 150 market. Also id take an X4 965 over a locked SB any day of the week, one can OC and be a 300 dollar chip preformance wise, the other has no future and is no better than a laptop processor, and total garbage to anyone that likes to get a nice cheap chip and OC.

My advice though is get Athlon II and OC it they are great little clocks and mine even went to quad and i have zero issues with it, and at this speed i tied my buddies Core i5 750 he runs at stock that he paid 219 for, i paid 75 thats value.
My lowest i7 rig stomps the smack out of your BEST AMD rig. Fact. You make silly points.
Moshing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 09:33 PM   #31
Bah!

Quote:
Yeah, it's pretty incredible for a brand new Intel setup to be this cheap and perform the way it does. Basically the "low end" SB parts have taken AMD's thunder when it comes to value. The only exception is at the extreme low end, which hasn't launched yet.

I'm excited to see how AMD counters and what that will do to prices overall. Right now building a high end PC is as cheap as I can ever remember it being, and a little competition might make it even cheaper.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-11, 12:00 PM   #32
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
Yeah, it's pretty incredible for a brand new Intel setup to be this cheap and perform the way it does. Basically the "low end" SB parts have taken AMD's thunder when it comes to value. The only exception is at the extreme low end, which hasn't launched yet.

I'm excited to see how AMD counters and what that will do to prices overall. Right now building a high end PC is as cheap as I can ever remember it being, and a little competition might make it even cheaper.
Yes. I can't wait to see bulldozer. I really hope AMD gains some ground on Intel. I love price wars.

Old 02-19-11, 03:41 PM   #33
grey_1

Quote:

Brand loyalty is ok until facts get in the way.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...-2100-tested/1

Quote:
In all but the heaviest threaded applications, Sandy Bridge is the fastest chip on the block—and you get the performance at a fairly reasonable price. The Core i7-2600K is tempting at $317 but the Core i5-2500K is absolutely a steal at $216. You're getting nearly $999 worth of performance at roughly a quarter of the cost. Compared to a Core i5-750/760, you'll get an additional 10-50% performance across the board in existing applications, and all that from a ~25% increase in clock speed. A big portion of what Sandy Bridge delivers is due to architectural enhancements, the type of thing we've come to expect from an Intel tock. Starting with Conroe, repeating with Nehalem, and going strong once more with Sandy Bridge, Intel makes this all seem so very easy.
AMD's Athlon/x3 lineup is great for someone on a super tight budget. Nothing wrong with that. But the 2500K makes it absolutely pointless to build a new rig using anything but SB right now, unless you're looking for extremely low cost.

I'm waiting for the year to play out. If bulldozer delivers I may stick with AMD, but am most likely looking at going back to Intel.
Old 02-19-11, 04:46 PM   #34
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Brand loyalty is ok until facts get in the way.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...-2100-tested/1

AMD's Athlon/x3 lineup is great for someone on a super tight budget. Nothing wrong with that. But the 2500K makes it absolutely pointless to build a new rig using anything but SB right now, unless you're looking for extremely low cost.

I'm waiting for the year to play out. If bulldozer delivers I may stick with AMD, but am most likely looking at going back to Intel.
Good find grey. Thanks.
Old 02-20-11, 11:32 PM   #35
mullet

can't wait my next build I am going all out.
Old 02-21-11, 08:43 AM   #36
ViN86

I'm in the process of selling my 5870. Going to pick up a 2500K with that cash, then I have some gift certificates I am going to pick up an LGA-1155 board with (once they come back out). All I need then is a nice shuttle case and a $50 pack of RAM and my SB mobile rig will be ready to go. I will probably rock the 9800GT for a little while until I get some cash to get a mid-range card. I'll probably pick up a 6850.