Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-21-11, 09:52 AM   #13
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: I needed a bigger case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I really liked the cases of that era. Great looking designs with lots of innovation - Lian Li and Coolermaster were on top of their game. Both dropped the ball by now by releasing mostly extremely ugly cases like the Armorsuit or HAF series. Luckily Silverstone still provides good looking cases.
Cooler Master has not made a good case for long time, Stacker (had one) was a POS, huge, with barelly any room inside. bad layout and troublesome motherboard tray, with many trays being defective, not at 90 degrees angle to the backplate, causing issues with installing expansion cards.

HAF series is just ugly, beyond ugly, just like most recent silverstone cases, Raven anyone? The only decent looking silverstone case released recently cost $500+ bucks, and cooling looks to be bad jus like in Corsair 800D Case.

Lian-li while they do have some ugly cases like the Armour suit, or their Lancool line, Lian-Li still has the biggest number of classic good cooling cases from any case manufacture, and their cases are actually affordable and with good cooling.

Their PC-X line, PC-A line and PC-V line all above excellent.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 12:13 AM   #14
NeonShark

Hi,
I have a Corsair Obsidian 800D case, IMHO it's the best case on the market.
NeonShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 12:53 AM   #15
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonShark View Post
Hi,
irrelevant post is irrelevant.

Funnily even.

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 12:57 AM   #16
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonShark View Post
Hi,
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 07:32 AM   #17
betterdan

Old 02-22-11, 08:34 AM   #18
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Cooler Master has not made a good case for long time,

HAF series is just ugly, beyond ugly
I have a HAF 932 and love it. Excellent cooling, plenty of room, and IMO not ugly at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragejg View Post
irrelevant post is irrelevant.

Funnily even.
He was probably responding to this:

Quote:
The only decent looking silverstone case released recently cost $500+ bucks, and cooling looks to be bad jus like in Corsair 800D Case.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 10:27 AM   #19
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Agreed about the Cooler Master line up and the Raven.

But the TJ07, 09, 10 and now the 11 are great products and I bet the TJ11's cooling is better than it looks because of the Penetrator fans. That design would have helped me with my Tri-SLI experiment

Lian Li still has classic designs but I think their build quality is not the same anymore. At least that was my impression when I build a system for a friend using a $350 Lian Li big tower (forgot the exact model name). There were sharp edges and the I/O brackets weren't really precise because I had trouble installing PCI/PCIe cards.
In past 6-8 months I build about 10 PCs in Lian-Li cases, From PC-A, PC-X and PC-V series, and not a single one of them had a sharp corner, super light and sturdy. About trouble installing PCI cards, some new cases have have toolless system that takes 2 minutes to figure out, and its a breeze to use, open lock, place card, snap it in, and lock. If toolless system is not required it can be removed with two screws, and then it works excactly the same like any other case on the market. thumb screws to secure the cards.

Lian-Li releaed more excellent cases in one year, then Silverstone released in last 4-5 years. Silverstone is off their game, they spend to much time screwing around with rotating the motherboard then actually building decent cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
I have a HAF 932 and love it. Excellent cooling, plenty of room, and IMO not ugly at all.

He was probably responding to this:
About HAF, for me those cases look like a 80s sci-fi prop, to much plastic, to many weird shapes, and steel heavy inside construction, just not for me, But I will agree that they do have good cooling, because of the huge side fan.

Back to 800D, the only thing that case is good for is water cooling, stay away if your air cooling, there are better cases out there.
Old 02-22-11, 10:44 AM   #20
mullet

This is my favorite case!!!
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11...ack_Black.html

Old 02-22-11, 11:42 AM   #21
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

so really you only like one Silverstone case, the TJ11 since its the only one with rotated board, and with the current price tag, it will never sell well.

I would never buy any of the other TJ cases mentioned, since there at least 3-5 years ago with outdated design, lack of back plate hole etc...

there much much better newer cases on the market.
Old 02-22-11, 11:47 AM   #22
Redeemed

Quote:
so really you only like one Silverstone case, the TJ11 since its the only one with rotated board, and with the current price tag, it will never sell well.
Both Ravens have rotated motherboards as well.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 11:56 AM   #23
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Both Ravens have rotated motherboards as well.
True, and there is another (forgot the name) but slawter doesn't like ravens because of external look last time I remember.
Old 02-22-11, 12:07 PM   #24
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg

So hey...

I'm certain that I'm going to install a 92 or 120mm blowhole fan in this case (I need to locate the top panel fan conversion kit from Cooler Master, or I'll just do it myself with ingenuity and Velcroฎ), and will mount a 92 or 120mm on the rear of the case (on the outside, as neatly as possible... or I might use an 80mmm fan frame as an extender on the inside coupled with an adapter, and then use a low-pro fan so it doesn't interfere with the CPU cooler)... and these things alone should help a good amount... but I do want to address the Achilles Heel of this case: the front panel airflow restriction...

The aluminum block is actually spaced out far enough to where it really doesn't inhibit airflow; sure it might be in front of the holes, bit if you look at the surface area around the sides of it, there's more than enough space to suck plenty of CFM in... so IMO what really makes sense is to address those small holes. I plan to break out a high-quality metal drill bit and enlarge the holes dramatically, by 50-100%. I also plan on taking the bottom mount plate and putting some well-placed holes in that, so it sucks from the bottom as well as from around the sides of the aluminum block... Sure, I'd like to just take the piece to a metal shop and jigsaw the small front panel holes so it's just completely open air (I'd then fashion some sort of filter to the backside), but increasing the hole size should do just fine...

So that makes sense, right?

Now what I'd also like to do is cut two very large holes in the bottom and install two low-profile 92 or 120mm fans to suck air from underneath the case (and filter them so they don't just suck in dust)... do you guys think this will help? I've never had a case with bottom-mount fans installed; do they generally help things out or are they often useless?

I'll likely also either obtain a replacement side panel with a window and fan bracket, or I'll make something like this myself... and I'd mount a fan or two... two 120mm fans, or maybe just one fan; larger than a 120.

So over the next month I'll be working on this; with the goal of greatly improving the cooling of this case while not affecting the looks of the case.

Why am I doing this? despite its age I really like the appearance of this case; and as some of you may know I like taking older equipment and updating it to more modern standards.

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote