Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-27-11, 12:16 PM   #1
Bah!

Default Thinking Sandy Bridge? Pass on Gigabyte!

Anyone who is thinking about upgrading to a SB system in the near future would be best served to stay away from Gigabyte motherboards. Their P67 lineup are some of the worst boards I've ever had the displeasure of working with, with the UD4 being the worst ever.

I've never had a BIOs on a motherboard that was this ****ed up! It's literally the most unstable BIOs I've ever seen or heard of. Once you get into the OS, everything is great, but getting there is a big pain in the ass. The bios is so bad you can literally change a setting and then change it right back to what it was and it will cause a boot loop. Or you can run fine on one voltage and then reboot one day and boot loop. It's ridiculous! And no, it's not just my board, take a look around the web, Gigabyte has their head up their ass with SB.

I've owned plenty of GB boards in the past, but until I see some evidence that they fix their boards going forward I won't own another. My Asus P8P67 Pro board makes it look like a bargain bin board, and it hasn't given me a single issue so far.

Anyway, just my part rant part warning for future SB owners...stay away from Gigabyte.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-11, 02:13 PM   #2
scout2of3
"Live Long And Prosper"

Default Re: Thinking Sandy Bridge? Pass on Gigabyte!

I am hoping to upgrade to SB, I was also going to go with a Gigabyte board as I have had them in the past and had no issues but after hearing your woes I think I will go Asus this go around. Thanks for the heads up on the GB boards.
CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4.5 w/NH-D14 HSF
Graphics: EVGA GTX 570 SC HD
Main HDD: WD 750GB
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance
PSU: Corsair CX600 Watt
scout2of3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-11, 04:09 PM   #3
bobkn

I've just RMA'd a P8P67 Pro. Killed by a routine BIOS update.

That was my second dead P67 board. The first was an MSI P67A-GD65. Also bricked by a BIOS update. (Its dual BIOS was no help.)

Prior to that, I never lost a motherboard due to a BIOS update. I've been doing them (probably more often than necessary) since 1995.

This isn't intended as a counter-rant, but I get the feeling that (completely aside from the SATA II controller recall) P67 isn't ready for prime time.

Maybe I'll wait for Z68.
Old 02-28-11, 02:24 PM   #4
Smee

My P8P67 Deluxe has been awesome so far, upgraded the bios flawlessly as well.
Smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 03:37 PM   #5
Yaboze

I like EVGA, but I am about to pass on them for my next round. It's too bad I was looking at Gigabyte. The rumor is several key bios programmers have left EVGA and there are outstanding issues with Intel Raid ROMS and VT issues on their x58 boards. They are working on it, but there's a huge thread of p1ssed off people over there. Looks like I'm heading back to Asus.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 04:24 PM   #6
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Asrock Pro3 rocks. took a 2500k @ 5.0Ghz and a 2600k @ 4.8Ghz with ease and I'm still using my 775 water block!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 04:49 PM   #7
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

ASRock were sneered at for years for being bargain basement stuff, lately they seem to have the best track record on the P67 platform. Just going by what i've seen around formers. Most complaints are towards the main Asus P67s but I get the impression they have sold the most.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 04:51 PM   #8
Roadhog
Resident Alien

motherboards have nothing to do with how far you can overclock your sandy bridge cpu.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-11, 05:29 PM   #9
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
motherboards have nothing to do with how far you can overclock your sandy bridge cpu.
Unless they have a cack bios or are faulty no doubt.

Getting a cherry picked 4.7Ghz is the way to go if you know a company that does it, not playing the CPU lottery again for awhile. More fun but got too much going on.
Old 02-28-11, 05:49 PM   #10
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

I've had nothing but trouble with Gigabyte boards since the E6600 days.

The only theory I've heard from anyone was one guy thought he had it narrowed down to "noise" created by the power supply and Gigabyte boards having certain really cheap parts that allow for it to be disruptive even when running top of the line PSUs with fantastic amp ratings.

Regardless, I gave up on them a long time ago.

I also gave up on purchasing motherboards from NewEgg after my recent incident with an EVGA board going poof and taking out one of my GTX 570s with it only to find out later that it also took out my processor. I'll pay an extra $15-$20 at the local shop so if/when a motherboard does fail I can drive down and get a new one instead of paying $15 shipping for an RMA and waiting 2 weeks to get the replacement.

I miss the old days... never once had a motherboard fail on me back when the AMD64s were all the rage.

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 06:25 PM   #11
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox View Post
I've had nothing but trouble with Gigabyte boards since the E6600 days.

The only theory I've heard from anyone was one guy thought he had it narrowed down to "noise" created by the power supply and Gigabyte boards having certain really cheap parts that allow for it to be disruptive even when running top of the line PSUs with fantastic amp ratings.

Regardless, I gave up on them a long time ago.

I also gave up on purchasing motherboards from NewEgg after my recent incident with an EVGA board going poof and taking out one of my GTX 570s with it only to find out later that it also took out my processor. I'll pay an extra $15-$20 at the local shop so if/when a motherboard does fail I can drive down and get a new one instead of paying $15 shipping for an RMA and waiting 2 weeks to get the replacement.

I miss the old days... never once had a motherboard fail on me back when the AMD64s were all the rage.
Too right. PC that I eventually gave to the father in law is still going strong with an AMD64.
Old 02-28-11, 09:47 PM   #12
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

I'm running a Gigabyte right now, and will buy from them again. They are my best recommendation for mobo company.

But I'm running an AMD Phenom II 955

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote