Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-28-11, 08:42 AM   #1
DiscipleDOC

Default Looking for a tablet

I'm in the market of getting a tablet (Xoom, Galaxy Tab, iPad, etc.) Which one would you suggest?
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 08:47 AM   #2
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Looking for a tablet

i like the look of Xoom, but then again it is the most expensive, but it does have the best specs.

Android 3.0 looks great.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 09:18 AM   #3
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Wait to see what iPad2 looks like on Wednesday. If that doesn't look good to you, then go for the Xoom. There are some other cheap Android tablets floating around out there, but remember that you get what you pay for.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 02:11 PM   #4
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Wait to see what iPad2 looks like on Wednesday. If that doesn't look good to you, then go for the Xoom. There are some other cheap Android tablets floating around out there, but remember that you get what you pay for.
Exactly.

I like the Xoom the most but its price really put me out of the market for it.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 05:21 PM   #5
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
All indications are that it'll be a slight spec bump from the current iPad. The Xoom appears to already have the iPad2 beat and Honeycomb seems well positioned to beat iOS5 on feature-set. Actually, Froyo and Gingerbread have already had iOS beat for ages.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 05:50 PM   #6
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
All indications are that it'll be a slight spec bump from the current iPad. The Xoom appears to already have the iPad2 beat and Honeycomb seems well positioned to beat iOS5 on feature-set. Actually, Froyo and Gingerbread have already had iOS beat for ages.
I agree and disagree. iOS still has the best apps available period, there's no getting around that. Android is really awesome but I still think the apps make a huge difference.

Doc - Check out this Tegra 2 MSI Tablet: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/28/t...will-ship-wit/
Old 02-28-11, 05:58 PM   #7
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

white tablet
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 06:24 PM   #8
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
I agree and disagree. iOS still has the best apps available period, there's no getting around that. Android is really awesome but I still think the apps make a huge difference.
Prove your statement.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-11, 06:50 PM   #9
Rakeesh

Quote:
Android may have smaller numbers when it comes to apps, however Android apps are far more robust and have far more capability of expansion than iOS apps. For example, want to implement an innovative new feature? On Android you can just go straight for it. On iOS, if the feature is too innovative, or in fact just plain "why didn't somebody do this before" obvious Apple will say no.

If an app needs root access on android? No problem, feel free to publish it in the Android market, anybody can download it all they want and Google will encourage it in fact. This leads to many really nice apps such as being able to access your sdcard as a standard smb/cifs file share over wifi.

Want these things on iPhone? Sorry but you have to surf the internet and find it yourself. And if you're a developer and want to charge money for such an app that apple forbids, you're hugely open to piracy.

Not only all of this, but most apps on Android are free or cost a lot less than their iOS counterparts. There's no fee to publish apps, and best of all, they can be developed on any platform, no need to buy a new macintosh just to write one app. So the developer can pass that savings on to you, and by and large, they do exactly that.

Bottom line is that when it comes to apps, everything iOS can do, Android can do better, and it can do more things. iOS merely has numbers (and some of these are e.g. multiple fart apps to choose from.)

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 08:12 PM   #10
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
Android may have smaller numbers when it comes to apps, however Android apps are far more robust and have far more capability of expansion than iOS apps. For example, want to implement an innovative new feature? On Android you can just go straight for it. On iOS, if the feature is too innovative, or in fact just plain "why didn't somebody do this before" obvious Apple will say no.
Apple is more closed off no doubt, I won't argue with that. I also won't argue the fact that Android has great ideas when it comes to the straight OS. Heck, I love Android, I don't have anything against it besides the lack of certain apps. I'd love to have NBA Jam on my Droid but that may never happen. I'd like to have Instagram but who knows when that will happen, it's been on iOS for a while. Wunderlist is still weeks away if I'm lucky, it's been on iOS for a while.

Quote:
If an app needs root access on android? No problem, feel free to publish it in the Android market, anybody can download it all they want and Google will encourage it in fact. This leads to many really nice apps such as being able to access your sdcard as a standard smb/cifs file share over wifi.

Want these things on iPhone? Sorry but you have to surf the internet and find it yourself. And if you're a developer and want to charge money for such an app that apple forbids, you're hugely open to piracy.
I've got my Droid rooted and I love using custom ROMs, especially Ultimate Droid. I've never owned an iPhone so I dunno what iOS offers with the jailbreak community.

Quote:
Not only all of this, but most apps on Android are free or cost a lot less than their iOS counterparts. There's no fee to publish apps, and best of all, they can be developed on any platform, no need to buy a new macintosh just to write one app. So the developer can pass that savings on to you, and by and large, they do exactly that.

Bottom line is that when it comes to apps, everything iOS can do, Android can do better, and it can do more things. iOS merely has numbers (and some of these are e.g. multiple fart apps to choose from.)
Android does the rooted scene a lot better, but it doesn't account for the apps that iOS has and Android doesn't right now. To each his own when it comes to phone OS's, but each has pros and cons.
Old 02-28-11, 08:51 PM   #11
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Yes, Apps make a HUGE difference, but Android already has several apps which are cross-platform and many widgets and apps that are lacking on iOS because of Apple's policies.

Plus the rate of development of Android > iOS, the rate of releases of Android > iOS.

I'm just saying in the hear and now, Xoom already is ahead of the curve and will maintain that lead over Apple's products (from what the rumors suggest) even after iPad 2 drops.

Wrt Wind, it's not bad.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 11:36 PM   #12
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

I got a nook color, planning to root it and run froyo...